300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the whole "sponsor" thing?

I've been hearing a ton of stuff lately about guys being sponsored... what does that mean? do i need to be sponsored? how do i go about being sponsored?

-donald
    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

LE agencies that don't have their own academies will sometimes "sponsor" someone they have hired (or plan to hire) in a local BLET class (through community college, etc) by paying for their training.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan73 View Post
      LE agencies that don't have their own academies will sometimes "sponsor" someone they have hired (or plan to hire) in a local BLET class (through community college, etc) by paying for their training.
      what about a department that has an academy?
      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

The larger agencies with their own academies (Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, SHP, SBI, among others) usually pay their cadets as a salaried employee from day one of the academy.

Comment

Let me correct that...agencies that sponsor you in BLET at a community college (where most new officers go to training....at a community college because not a lot of agencies run their own), do not pay for your BLET as a whole. To attend BLET, you have to be sponsored and that ends up wiping out the course cost. But the agency doesn't pay for it. It happens but is very rare...very rare that all your costs in BLET are paid for. In my academy class I was only paid person (at $6.50 an hour) out of 23 who was paid. All of us had sponsorships, it's required. See the community college in your area and they will assist with this. Don't stress on this, most schools will help you completely with this.

You'll be responsible for paying for duty gear (duty belt, handcuffs, mag holder, gun), ammunition and books (expensive). If you're prior service military, the GI Bill does now pay while you're in school (didn't use to).

Sponsorship does not mean hiring. In fact, most agencies that sponsor you will expressly say to you that you're NOT an employee and they probably WONT hire you. NC is a right to work state and you work at the will of the employer. Contract stuff is a touchy subject in the state. Many people that were sponsored by an agency may have been hired by that agency and may not have been...it was hit or miss. Just don't get hung up on the fact that because someone sponsored you they will be hiring you. They might or might not.

As stated above, some agencies do run their own academies. Agencies like Fayetteville PD run their own academy usually once or twice a year as well as hire BLET grads. Other agencies like Raleigh and Charlotte have their own academies whereas no matter if you have prior in-state academy experience, you'll still be attending their academy regardless. There is only a handful (less than 20) of agencies in NC that run their own acadmies, therefore, most LEO's in NC put themselves through because they really want a job.

In the end, talk to a program director for BLET at your local community college and they will be able to explain it in more detail for you.

Comment

Jet, I had a friend who was sponsored by a smaller agency who told him they'd hire him if he successfully completed BLET (plus the depts' own background check) at the local community college. They didn't pay him as an employee during BLET, but they did pay for his training and equipment. That's what I was basing my post on. I could have misunderstood the sequence of the hiring process and what was paid for, but I'm pretty sure that's what he told me.

Comment

No sweat, that definately does happen a fair amount. I just didn't want anyone to think that sponsorship means something like a job or that everything is paid for. It certainly happens..for sure and if it does you are a lucky person! In my class about half went to the agencies that sponsored them. The other half...found other agencies. All found jobs. NC (and SC for that matter) can't get enough qualified people. BLET, should you pass, is a damn near shoe in for a job (provided no criminal history, etc). But it's a GREAT start especially for a lot of great smaller, middle sized (even some larger) agencies.

Comment

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like my buddy got a good deal with his training being paid for. I didn't realize it wasn't done that way with everyone. I completed BLET in an academy through one of the larger agencies mentioned above in the late 90s, so I wasn't as familiar with BLET in the community colleges.

Comment

I will refrain from answering questions, I am going to need to foucus on training.
                  Last edited by FortDrumPolice; 05-08-2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FortDrumPolice View Post
                    start with an min rate of $17.71 per hour which would equal $34,010.00 a year which is posted on the website. If you have a degree you will be paid a higher rate.
                    Ha..ha...hahahaha.

Alright, some of you guys that haven't even spent a day in the uniform yet need to keep advice and information to a minimum. Not a slam, this just isn't the first time I've seen information put out that isn't accurate based off secondhand information.

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129 View Post
                      Ha..ha...hahahaha.

Alright, some of you guys that haven't even spent a day in the uniform yet need to keep advice and information to a minimum. Not a slam, this just isn't the first time I've seen information put out that isn't accurate based off secondhand information.
                      Hey Ofc,

I just was giving info that was based off what I knew at least what most of us going into training though what the base pay that you are paid during training to clear this up also if any other information that I have posted was wrong feel free to jump in and say so.

I dont think I know it all but I try to do my research before I post something for a while it seemed like no one was posting replies besides the rookies, that might just be me but I will only post what I know to be 100% correct.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5074 users online. 292 members and 4782 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X