300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCSHP Feedback

Hi everyone, I have been reading this site for a while and you have some great information. I could use some feedback about the NCSHP academy. I am reapplying to the academy for the last time due to the new 3 time application rule. The first time, I did not meet the 50 percentile, the second time, I withdrew my application after getting past polygraph due to personal/family reasons and I have just submitted application for the final time. I have been training hard for the last 3+ years. My bodyfat is around 11%, I can do around 65+ pushups/minute and around 75 situps/minute. My 1 1/2 mile is usually around 11:50. Any feedback on how to improve would be greatly appreciated as well as any feedback on application process.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
    Philippians 4:13

It sounds like you are on the right track. Just remember, the process to becoming a trooper is not only physical but mental. Too many times people focus on being in good shape but they do not get their mind right and they either quit or get run out of the school. Just try to be in the best shape that you can...do plenty of stretching and running. Before you go off to school, have all of your family and personal affairs in order. If you have a wife/GF who is hesitant about your upcoming committment to the Patrol, that can be a problem. But if it is something you really want and you are willing to sacrifice for it, then you should have no problem.
    "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

NCSHP Feedback

Thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions on how I prepare myself mentally for the academy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gymdude 1974
        Thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions on how I prepare myself mentally for the academy?

If you havent been in the military, then it would be hard to know what to expect. I served 4 years in the Marines. So I was felt pretty prepared for all the mental and emotional stress I would endure at the basic school. After all, in the Marines, you spend 13 weeks in boot camp without going home, or even a phone call home, thats stressful.

In the basic school, you can go home every weekend. So I thought, yeah, I got this, itll be hard, but I can do it. Well I quit the school the first week.

My advice is to NOT think about the 29 weeks, it will eat at you. Everyday is a challenge,and if you start to think that you wont make it that long, you probably wont. Take it a meal at a time, then day to day. You will ask other troopers what the school is like, some will tell you. But no matter what its completely different actually being there.

Its been a year and a half since I was in there, and I wasnt there long. Ironically, I may reapply when my two year restriction is up. (If you withdraw you app, or are not accepted, its one year from the date of withdrawal til you can reapply, two year restriction if you are hired and resign.)
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

NCSHP Feedback

Can anyone describe the running in the academy? Should I expect everyone to be very fast? I'm more of an 8 min mile runner presently. Will that be enough to compete in the early stages of the academy?

Comment

The first few months they run the crap out of you at a very fast pace. At least during my school they did. Thats how they weed out the weaker people and the people who aren't taking it seriously. You need to try and get in really good shape because they tend to pick on the people that struggle running and doing the exercises...of course everyone is not a runner and so forth, but if you can be decent, then life will be easier.
            "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

Comment

NCTroop14- couple of questions for you, if you dont mind. I am seriously considering applying to SHP.

1. In the background investigation, how strict are they about credit? Mine is decent, but not great. I don't have a repo or any charge-offs, but I do have a couple of 30-day lates on credit cards. Just wondering how that will affect my chances, everything else being in good shape.

2. Has the app process changed recently? I know in previous years you had to schedule an appt. with your county recruiter and he/she would take your height/weight before giving you the package. Someone told me recently that all you had to do now is pick up a packet at the local office and send it to Raleigh when you finish.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Ryan, I am not sure about the first one but the second one is true. I live in MI. I called up a recruiter at headquarters and he mailed me a packet. I am almost done with it. When I am he told me to just mail it back, then he will call me to come down and take my physical, written, and poly.

Jake

Comment

Thanks, Jake. I live in NC, but what you described is consistent with what I heard previously. Good luck with the app process. Is the next class in January- is that what you've heard?

Comment

I don't think they are too strict on credit...just as long as you aren't about to be bankrupt or anything!! Your BI will get with you and ask you about all of your expenses and you will fill out a part in the app. that has you list all of your credit stuff.

You used to have to make an appt. to get an app. Now they just give or mail them out. They give them to us too and tell us to hand them out to prospective applicants. So you can just pick one up or have one mailed to you.

Comment

Credit is very important, but a few 30 day lates shouldn't keep you from getting hired. Active collection accounts, repo's, bankruptcies are bad. If you show a pattern/habit of paying your bills late that could be an issue, but a couple here and there is ok.

For those coming from out of state--If you fly, make your departure late in the day the day after your physical test. If you do well, we can probably get your polygraph done before you leave and you won't have to make another trip for it.

As for patrol school--just remember that you're being paid to be there. You've got to look at it as your job. You wouldn't quit your other job just because you were having a bad day so why quit this one? PT is only an hour and half and like NCTroop14 said--they'll focus on the physically weak in the beginning. Don't worry, the dumbasses will show themselves soon enough and start to take the heat off the rest of the group. Every class will have an idiot/*******/jerk or whatever you may call him.

A wise man once told me "every class has 'that guy' and if you think your class doesn't have 'that guy' then you're 'that guy'"

Comment

Originally posted by bandscar View Post
                        Don't worry, the dumbasses will show themselves soon enough and start to take the heat off the rest of the group. Every class will have an idiot/*******/jerk or whatever you may call him.

A wise man once told me "every class has 'that guy' and if you think your class doesn't have 'that guy' then you're 'that guy'"

Hahahaha, we had a couple of those in my school!

Comment

Thanks for the info nctroop14 and bandscar. I guess I am shooting for the school in January, if that's when the next one is held.

Comment

yeah ryan, I heard January for the next class

Comment

hey nctroop.. how much of a factor does age play into the SHP selection process? Did you have many cadets in their early 30's grow through with you? I'll be almost 32 for the Jan class next year (if I am selected).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4552 users online. 240 members and 4312 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X