X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hangman
    started a topic NC Trooper Shortage

NC Trooper Shortage

Every few weeks I hear about it online and on the news. If the shortage is so bad, then why does the SHP only hold one Patrol Basic School class a year? Why not hold multiple schools are year like 2-3 Also, some Patrol Schools are the 15 week "short" school for people with the BLET cert. If someone does have a BLET cert, they might have to wait 2 years before the next "long" school.

Also, the SHP should have figured out by now that if they hire 40 cadets for a school, at least 10-20 will drop out, not make it get, etc. They should think about increasing the size of the school to factor in attrition.

• DeaconSteve
    replied
    I still wonder where I would have been had I been qualified for SHP. My eyesight at the time was worse that 20/80 uncorrected, but was able to be sworn at another agency. Funny thing is that once a Trooper, changing eyesight is not a factor. Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• hangman
    replied
    I think now after Patrol School and the one year probation period they make 44K.

Leave a comment:

• battlewagon
    replied
    I heard there has been approval for a large pay bump. But the low 30s salary certainly isn't a recruiting tool

Leave a comment:

• Bandscar2
    replied
    More than 1 school is run per year. The class size has increased but we have standards and don't mind losing those who don't have what it takes. It's not for everyone and some don't figure that out until they get to Garner and experience a little taste of patrol school.

Leave a comment:

• hangman
    replied
    Originally posted by jjones0174 View Post
    I am a retired North Carolina Trooper. PM me and I will get you the answer to your question and then I will post it as well.
    jjones0174: I tried PMing you. It says you are not allowing PMs.

Leave a comment:

• jjones0174
    replied
    I am a retired North Carolina Trooper. PM me and I will get you the answer to your question and then I will post it as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    That's a good question. No inside knowledge but I do know a few things about a few things....

1. Academies, especially SHP academies, are very resource intensive. Personnel with subject matter expertise (accident reconstruction, pursuit driving, etc) have to be re-assigned from busy jobs for extended periods of time. This may seem like no big deal but training assignments can be a huge time suck for personnel resources that are already stretched thin.

2. In general, state agencies abhor recognizing/substituting prior training. There are a few reasons for this; they prefer to maintain total control of the training process from the 'break down' phase to the 'build up' phase in order to transform new hires into their mold, they dislike having to re-train people who were taught techniques different from how SHP does things, and to avoid legal issues regarding uniformity in training for all personnel. That said, the politicians and the bean counters who control budgets make the ultimate decision and if the financial resources aren't provided, agencies are forced to make adjustments.

3. General institutional rigidity ("The way it's been done is the way it'll always be done.")

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Might just be the damn mosquitoes...

Leave a comment:

• squeakeer
    replied
    They need to do away with the age restriction as well. If they get rid of the age limit you will have many separating veterans and people like myself that live in NC apply. But until then they will continue to have shortages.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10985 users online. 470 members and 10515 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X