300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get started?

Basically I'm looking for some input on how to get started pretty much from the beginning.

I'm 20 1/2 years old, currently in College with 64 credits and I'm set on becoming an LEO.

What is the best way to go start to finish?
    I'm hoping to work with the Apex, Cary, Fuquay or Garner Police departments. I know that most of them sponsor BLET students. Do I need to get a sponsorship application?

I'm currently working full time, but ready to switch to full time training and do whatever it takes to become LE.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas you can provide!

Originally posted by Kylet14
    Basically I'm looking for some input on how to get started pretty much from the beginning.

I'm 20 1/2 years old, currently in College with 64 credits and I'm set on becoming an LEO.

What is the best way to go start to finish?
    I'm hoping to work with the Apex, Cary, Fuquay or Garner Police departments. I know that most of them sponsor BLET students. Do I need to get a sponsorship application?

I'm currently working full time, but ready to switch to full time training and do whatever it takes to become LE.

Thanks for any suggestions and ideas you can provide!
    No you dont need a sponser. I suggest you either apply to Raleigh where its a full time academy and you get payed for it. Twice as long and twice as tough as BLET. Or you can go to a college police academy and sponser yourself or get sponsered. There you get a wide variety of instructers but like college after you graduate you have to compete for a job. I did part time and worked at a store during my time. Took me almost 5 or so months to get hired although I got a speeding ticket that hurt me. Stay clean during that time period also Cary PD is freaking hard to apply to. Unless your college educated, ex military, minority, speak foreigh language or all of the above you will have a hard time getting hired. You need the cleanest record ever. I remember my whole class applied for them and got rejected. If you get in good for you because pay is good or so I hear.

Comment

I looked at Carys pay, its really good, better than NCSHP and Charlotte, atleast starting out it is.

Apply with all the departments you would want to work for.

Places like Cary should enjoy the ability of being able to be picky while they can. This year they can pick and choose who they want and feel pretty good about themselves, while next year they are begging people to come work for them.

It varies from agency to agency. All agencies have atleast some turn over, watch out for the ones with very high turn over rates.
      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

PJM8519,

You stated, "I suggest you either apply to Raleigh where its a full time academy and you get payed for it. Twice as long and twice as tough as BLET"

I have college degrees and currently work for a large agency in South Florida. I'm looking at applying to Raleigh P.D. When you say the academy is 'full time', do you mean it's 9-5 OR its one where you sleep there 5 days a week? Probably a dumb question, but just for clarification

thanks

Comment

Kyle...research some of the depts you have in mind before you apply. Alot of people go right into the "who pays more" aspect of the job. Dont pick a dept based on how much they pay. You are not going to get rich in this profession, and it is a shame, because you risk so much and we should be getting paid more. The best advice I ever received was, "work somewhere you would love to live, and live somewhere you would love to work." Basically meaning, pick a dept that you are going to enjoy working at, but in an area where you and/or your family is going to enjoy to live. My first duty station with the HP was a great place to work, but I didnt enjoy my off time too much because I didnt enjoy the area...and that sucked. So just make sure when you are looking into depts you keep all of that in mind.
          "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Originally posted by nctroop14
            Kyle...research some of the depts you have in mind before you apply. Alot of people go right into the "who pays more" aspect of the job. Dont pick a dept based on how much they pay. You are not going to get rich in this profession, and it is a shame, because you risk so much and we should be getting paid more. The best advice I ever received was, "work somewhere you would love to live, and live somewhere you would love to work." Basically meaning, pick a dept that you are going to enjoy working at, but in an area where you and/or your family is going to enjoy to live. My first duty station with the HP was a great place to work, but I didnt enjoy my off time too much because I didnt enjoy the area...and that sucked. So just make sure when you are looking into depts you keep all of that in mind.
            Thank you all for the good advice and insight.

NCTROOP14- You hit it right on the nose. There was some debate as far as what department to go after, because like previously said, Raleigh pays you to go through the academy, and there is more specific departments in RPD that I would be able to get involved with. But on the flip side, like I was saying, I'm not chasing the $$, I've got a decently paying job right now, and I'm more so just looking for happiness and where I would WANT to work.

Finally being able to speak with someone face to face and hear the benefits of both sides of large vs smaller department I've made my mind up pretty easily.

I'm looking for a more name by name, community friendly department that has the benefit of actually being able to get to know fellow officers and the chief etc..

Looks like I have the chance to be sponsored and I will be attending BLET in the Fall...

What departments do you all work for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikis
              PJM8519,

You stated, "I suggest you either apply to Raleigh where its a full time academy and you get payed for it. Twice as long and twice as tough as BLET"

I have college degrees and currently work for a large agency in South Florida. I'm looking at applying to Raleigh P.D. When you say the academy is 'full time', do you mean it's 9-5 OR its one where you sleep there 5 days a week? Probably a dumb question, but just for clarification

thanks
              Full time as in something like 700-500 five times a week. Some sat classes I believe. One of my friends went in the academy in august and graduated in march. It's very military like. I believe you make something like 28k while in school and when you graduate you make the 31k. If you join be prepared for alot of running lol.

Now the Highway patrol school is live in.

Comment

Its very difficult to work full time somewhere, then go to BLET at night and again for a full day on Saturday.

My advice would be to apply with agencies that will pay you to attend a full time BLET class, pay you a salary while you attend, and you will have a job lined up when you graduate.
                John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine
                  Its very difficult to work full time somewhere, then go to BLET at night and again for a full day on Saturday.

My advice would be to apply with agencies that will pay you to attend a full time BLET class, pay you a salary while you attend, and you will have a job lined up when you graduate.
                  The agency I'm talking to now is paying for BLET, but not hiring before hand. I'll still have to go through the hiring process after BLET is over. But i'll be going to BLET full time as I'm going to quit my job when the time comes.. I've got enough funds saved up as of now.

Comment

I will be 20 this July and I am in kinda the same boat as Kyle in regards to finding a good agency with a salary while enrolled in BLET full-time. I am watching Hickory PD closely for when I apply later this year. I live near the city and the department seems to be well-oriented. I have an Associate's degree and I know HPD likes to see Bachelor degrees. Any thoughts on HPD?

I am not sure if they hire first, then enroll in BLET or enroll in BLET first then go through the hiring process afterwards. This question arose when I read the previous post from Kyle stating that the agency he is interested in trains then hires succeedingly.

Comment

Originally posted by donflan
                      I will be 20 this July and I am in kinda the same boat as Kyle in regards to finding a good agency with a salary while enrolled in BLET full-time. I am watching Hickory PD closely for when I apply later this year. I live near the city and the department seems to be well-oriented. I have an Associate's degree and I know HPD likes to see Bachelor degrees. Any thoughts on HPD?

I am not sure if they hire first, then enroll in BLET or enroll in BLET first then go through the hiring process afterwards. This question arose when I read the previous post from Kyle stating that the agency he is interested in trains then hires succeedingly.
                      You can do one or the other. You can apply now, and they will sponsor you through BLET while paying you a salary, and supplying all the equipment needed for training. When you complete BLET, you will enter 16 weeks of field training with your FTO.

You can complete BLET on your own if you like as well. An associates degree will help you. Just tell the recruiter that you will complete your Bachelors after BLET...

Hickory PD has a take home car policy, but you must live within 2 miles of the city, or be on a special recall team (SOT, traffic investigation, CID) to have a take home if you live further than 2 miles out. This is under review I hear, and they may expand the take home car program further.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5402 users online. 316 members and 5086 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X