300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 over on a NC DL

I've heard many times that if a driver with a NC DL gets cited for >15 mph over the limit, their license will be suspended for 30 days. Can a NC officer confirm this?

Possibly... Either that or youll get a letter for a hearing or be put on a probationary period. Couple options (depending on how fast they actually wrote you) 1) request a driver improvement clinic 2) ask DA for reduction (in speed or to improper equipment) 3) ask for a PJC.

was it in State or out of State?

Comment

15 over and over 55 (I believe it is 55) will get your NC license suspended. Even if that ticket is in another state, your NClicense will still get suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
        I've heard many times that if a driver with a NC DL gets cited for >15 mph over the limit, their license will be suspended for 30 days. Can a NC officer confirm this?
        Just to clarify, your license won't be suspended for being *cited* for any speed. Your license will be suspended if you are *convicted* for >15, however. A small but important point.
        Last edited by rfburns; 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sorry, let me clarify...I'm from SOUTH Carolina and I didn't get a ticket, I write tickets to a lot of your folks who are passing through here.

I had been reducing the speed on the ticket to 14 over for (almost) all of them I stopped because of this and I wanted to confirm that it was true that a 15 over conviction would result in a suspended license.

Comment

Copy that! Yes, they are correct. From page 31 of the NC DMV Handbook: "Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of: Driving any vehicle more than 15 miles per hour over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph."

Then on page 33: "Convictions occurring outside North Carolina may result in your license being suspended or revoked just as if the violations occurred in this state. If a suspension occurs, the Division must notify you by correspondence of the effective date of the suspension."

You're a good man for giving them 14 over (I think 15 over would also be fine, since they only get suspended for "more than 15 mph over"). We do that commonly in-state, as well.

It really is a harsh punishment, and may have made perfect sense 50 years ago when most vehicles couldn't safely travel at the speeds they do now. But who's going to be the legislator that gets labelled as "soft on dangerous driving"? Yeah....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3490 users online. 185 members and 3305 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X