300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Cams in NC

So I was just informed that my dept was looking into body cams for officers. I imagine it's going to be a pretty common thing now within the next few years given the current political climate. I was wondering how many depts in NC currently have some sort of wearable camera as a requirement or if they even have policy about body worn cameras.

My quick google search resulted in Winston Salem and CMPD already having or about to have these cameras (TASER, I believe).

I feel that TASER will probably be the more popular one, but am interested in other brands out there.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/what-...ras-1408320244

I read that yesterday. Obviously doesn't answer your question regarding NC, but it gives some statistics and other interesting information about body cameras.

Comment

Thanks. Good article.

Those things are kinda expensive. Didn't know the UK has had cams for almost a decade already. Interesting stuff.

Comment

I think it'll prevent a lot of crap like what's going on right now and that it would benefit the officer and the community.

Comment

Whether you're for or against them, they are coming.

Our agency doesn't have them yet, or at least, they are not widespread.

I personally don't care if I'm wearing one. I feel that the majority of the time it will be a boon rather than a curse some may fear. Also, our department is good about weeding out true complaints vs bull crap.

Comment

I've heard a lot of good things about Muvi bodycams as well as the Taser ones. They're a good amount cheaper but the battery doesn't last for a full 12 hours like the Taser brand. I know RPD currently mic's their officers, not sure about bodycams as of now. I openly welcome it. No more of that he-said-she-said stuff and it'll help fight a lot of the BS lawsuits against officers that were just doing their job. It'll show the full context of situations and help explain actions on both parties.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5935 users online. 333 members and 5602 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X