300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Got Out

Not prison yall . I just left the infantry to the civilian life and being a civilian sucks I have no black marks or any thing like that I am 24 years old been deployed twice to kunar province Afghanistan . I speak Pashtu .... as if it matters. I am a machine gunner , Squad marksman, Rifleman, RTO , Team Leader , and I left as a Squad Leader, oh and my PT score is a 310 on the extended scale. My question is , what are my odds of being a Game Warden with out education aside from the police academy.

The NC Wildlife Resource Commission is a good ole boy system. Unless you are an avid hunter/sportsman and have know a county game warden for years, all I can say is GOOD LUCK if you apply.

Comment

A game warden where? In general, it is a difficult gig to get because there are so few openings in any geographical area, and, in my area, wardens and rangers are the first agencies to experience lay offs and the last to worry about filling vacancies. USA jobs posts game warden jobs in Alaska once in awhile. I have seen multiple warden and ranger positions that want candidates with degrees in biology, forrestry, fish and game management, etc. Everyone appreciates your service, so don't take this as a disparaging remark, but the US is full of twenty something combat veterans. You don't bring anything extra to the table, although you will get vet pref points on a civil service test. If you can really converse in Pashtu (and not just speak a few phrases and words), try a major metro area that has a significant Pashtu speaking population.

Edit to say that I imagine every state game agency will send you to their own academy regardless of whether you are certified or not because they deal with so much stuff that is not covered in a regular police academy.
      Last edited by just joe; 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM.

Comment

If you are talking about the Wildlife LEO positions currently listed, then you need to apply. Don't worry what folks on here say because some of them don't live in NC or work for the state. It is a tough academy but turnover is low so that speaks volumes... I say go for it! If you are interested in being a State Trooper then explore the forums here too. Pay is better for troopers but the difference in job description between the two is dramatic. Go for what you are interested in! Look at it this way, you definitely will not get the job if you do not apply. The state also has park rangers that are sworn but you will need very specific training and/or degree. You can pursue the Environmental Educator certification on your own by checking out the website for rangers. They do very little law enforcement. You can always start at a prison and get on with the state.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp donkey View Post
          Not prison yall . I just left the infantry to the civilian life and being a civilian sucks I have no black marks or any thing like that I am 24 years old been deployed twice to kunar province Afghanistan . I speak Pashtu .... as if it matters. I am a machine gunner , Squad marksman, Rifleman, RTO , Team Leader , and I left as a Squad Leader, oh and my PT score is a 310 on the extended scale. My question is , what are my odds of being a Game Warden with out education aside from the police academy.
          I will tell you right now that your billets, scores, and awards, for the most part, don't matter in a LE hiring process. It is just if you've served honorably and if you have negative paper work on you. As a Marine vet, that is what I have come to learn going through two hiring processes for two different police departments. Maybe it is different in some other places, but I don't know.
          I researched this a littler bit for you, and according to a few sources online, you do need a 4 year degree here in NC. If this is the job you really want, use your GI Bill and get it knocked out. I am going to do online school on my days off when I start in the patrol division at Raleigh PD, if I make it through the last part of the hiring process. So you could do that somewhere too, if you really want to be in LE. Then just earn your degree in your down time.

Comment

Getting an LE job in NC outside of the major cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc, is all about connections. IMO, having a "hook" is essential for getting hired.

Comment

Thank you every one for your answers . All the information was helpful . Im gonna at least try out , whats the worst they can do tell me no. I would like to answer some questions though perhaps that may develop further incite. First I am willing to work anywhere at any hours , I would just prefer Wilmington NC because I have a house there.Yes I fluently speak pashto im DLI level 2 certified . I do not have a 4 year degree in wildlife sciences , only associate in marine tech. Yes I hunt and fish , I am very familiar with the game regs for the state. I have no real hook outher than my word and documented Army history records. I figured I would give it a shot and if I dont make it I will just go to the private contract sector.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3155 users online. 178 members and 2977 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X