300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company police/ private police

I just wanted to ask a question regarding these companies. I see about four in the charlotte metro area alone daily since I work the area now in my current employment. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they a viable option to get a sworn position after blet? Also if I were to have to go this route, would it help or hinder my chances of getting hired by a municipal pd? I know the two are apples and orange but i just wanted to hear all my options. or would it be better for me to hope about getting on somewhere as at least a reserve officer?

I only had dealings with one of those agencies and I will say I was less than impressed. That's not to say that they don't employ some good Officers but going by what I saw I wouldn't want to work there.

While they are sworn positions with powers of arrest they are not the same as municipal police, they just aren't. I worked campus police to start and it was a stepping stone to a city PD but again, not the same.

If you do go the campus route I would try and get onto a state school PD, they often get better training and experience. Also, private police and private campus police time does not count for your state retirement (it may not be a big deal now but it will matter later)
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

thanks fuzz. I hope not to take the company route but... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I know that much from growing up. I am hoping to get on at someplace like concord, kannapolis or somewhere like that. My real goal is Gastonia as I currently reside rather close to there

Comment

I feel bad for one of the company police departments near here. Their bosses won't let them carry a duty weapon...

That being said, as you so aptly stated, hopefulprobie, you gotta do what you gotta do to get your foot in the door sometimes. Just make the best of whatever/wherever you are and put your time in.

Took me 4 years being a detention officer before I got my go ahead into the academy.

Worth it.

Comment

[QUOTE=RCKoutWurGLKout;3477579]I feel bad for one of the company police departments near here. Their bosses won't let them carry a duty weapon..

Are you talking about the infamous Crabtree Valley Mall Police? lol

Why aren't the officers at Crabtree allowed to carry? Because management doesn't want to "scare" customers?

Comment

Yeah, Crabtree Valley Special Police....I don't know why exactly their management won't let them.

Suffice to say I would hate to be an unarmed walking target in a mall as popular as Crabtree.

Comment

Crabtree Mall PD seems like a big waste of money and a safety issue.

I guess having a "PD" there frees up the Raleigh PD from responding to shoplifters and kids skipping school at the mall; however if there was an active shooter incident, the Crabtree PD is pretty useless.

What is the Raleigh PD's opinion about the Crabtree PD?

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                Crabtree Mall PD seems like a big waste of money and a safety issue.

I guess having a "PD" there frees up the Raleigh PD from responding to shoplifters and kids skipping school at the mall; however if there was an active shooter incident, the Crabtree PD is pretty useless.

What is the Raleigh PD's opinion about the Crabtree PD?
                Don't know how RPD feel's about it; don't work for them =D

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6364 users online. 351 members and 6013 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X