300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Department of Public Safety

Hey all. I know we have a few DOC threads, but these appear a bit outdated. I figured we might as well start a thread under the relatively newly-realigned NC Department of Public Safety.

As an FYI to any interested, if you don't already know it appears the state budget is very near to acceptance. Inside this document they have restored funding for 175 new Probation/Parole Officer positions, 22 magistrate positions, and 69 positions "within" the State Highway Patrol.

As a PPO, just figured I'd toss out this info for any interested candidates. Looks like we're getting some more officers. We're already hiring like crazy it seems. My county has had several new officers over the previous two months. For anyone interesting in probation, feel free to PM me as I am always outspoken regarding this career.

Thanks for the information. I applied for the PP associate position a few days ago, even though I won't graduate until December. Do you think they will keep my name in the hat for later openings or will they just shred my application being that I don't have a degree?
    Last edited by SliceOfLife; 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfLife View Post
      Thanks for the information. I applied for the PP associate position a few days ago, even though I won't graduate until December. Do you think they will keep my name in the hat for later openings or will they just shred my application being that I don't have a degree?
      From what personnel has told me, they maintain these applications for 6 or 12 months. I could get confirmation at some point. But with the move to it being all online, they may keep these applications far longer, especially considering the PP Associate/Officer postings are statewide without an end date.

The PPO Associate and Officer position requires a 4 year degree. If you answer that you don't have one, they most likely will reject your application at that point. I've advised others that if you are currently in college and preparing to graduate, go ahead and mark it as yes, that you have a degree. You can always discuss it in an interview.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I might PM you some questions regarding the position if you don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SliceOfLife View Post
          Thanks for the suggestions! I might PM you some questions regarding the position if you don't mind.
          Absolutely. I check officer.com at least once a week. I'm always happy to discuss NC Probation.

Comment

Thanks, I just sent you a PM!

Comment

Not too excited about these uniforms coming, especially being issued footwear...

Other than that, after a year, I'm still waiting to see the females take on a role as if they were in any other law enforcement position...like making an arrest without requesting every male's in the office assistance.
              Last edited by BigbabySon; 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigbabySon View Post
                Not too excited about these uniforms coming, especially being issued footwear...

Other than that, after a year, I'm still waiting to see the females take on a role as if they were in any other law enforcement position...like making an arrest without requesting every male's in the office assistance.
                I'm not too sure about the issued footwear (could be great or horrible), but I think the uniforms are a necessary step. I'm sick and tired of LEO's not knowing if we're probation/friendlies or not because we're a dang rainbow of different colored polo's in the field. Half the time LEO's can't tell if we're officers or offenders. A uniform will fix that immediately. The officer safety committee got a presentation by 5.11 and were impressed. Doesn't mean we'd go 5.11 with the bidding situation, but if we do, they make great duty apparel.

Sad to hear about your county's females. We have several in my county that are excellent and are always stepping up to make arrests, do searches in the field, etc. It isn't just females, either. I've seen plenty of male officers that will do just about anything to avoid an arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by holycrikey View Post

Sad to hear about your county's females. We have several in my county that are excellent and are always stepping up to make arrests, do searches in the field, etc. It isn't just females, either. I've seen plenty of male officers that will do just about anything to avoid an arrest.
                  Maybe one day, they'll raise the bar in basic. Get rid of this, "I thought the gun was optional when I was hired" mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by BigbabySon View Post
                    Maybe one day, they'll raise the bar in basic. Get rid of this, "I thought the gun was optional when I was hired" mindset.
                    Now that I will absolutely agree with. Word is if we go to uniforms, they'll change policy to state that the firearm must be worn at all times while on duty (along with at least some of the safety package - cuffs, OC, extra mag). We've already been encouraged by our supervisors to wear at all times in my county.

Comment

holycrickey - What county are you in? I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind. I applied to the PPA position and am 'Most Qualified' (Master's in Criminology) but am geographically limited.

Comment

What's the process of applying, then if hired, what's the hiring process, exams, academy, etc....?

Comment

Originally posted by cpmccols View Post
                          holycrickey - What county are you in? I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind. I applied to the PPA position and am 'Most Qualified' (Master's in Criminology) but am geographically limited.
                          I've talked to a lot of people who have been applying, and they all seem to tell me the same thing with getting the "Most Qualified". I am unsure how many applicants are coming out at that level. Feel free to PM me regarding any questions. I prefer not to list county in here. I will say though, that your best bet for getting hired is to apply to all counties around you. You are required to live within 40 miles of your duty location, but it seems that rule can be loosely enforced sometimes... If you are open to several counties in your area, you have much better chances of getting interviews.

Originally posted by MiamiCanes View Post
                          What's the process of applying, then if hired, what's the hiring process, exams, academy, etc....?
                          By my knowledge, all applications go to Raleigh and are reviewed and then sent back to the county in question. The JDM at that county then arranges for interviews. If hired, you'll have to do all the standard HR paperwork, get fingerprinted, and take a psych eval (don't worry, no poly. Just a written test that takes all of maybe half an hour). Once hired, you'll end up shadowing officers in your county until a position opens up for you at the NC Justice Academy in Salemburg, NC. Sometimes they will conduct the basic training at another site, but it's pretty much all Salemburg now. The training there is 6 weeks. You can go home on the weekends. Class is generally 0800-1700. Most class time is just policy and big picture items. It's fairly worthless, as most of your learning will come from in-county. The important stuff of Salemburg is the firearms qualification (day/night/situational), CRDT (control, restraints, defensive tactics), arrest/search/seizure, and CPR/first aid. At the end of the academy you will have a final exam. I believe passing is 70 or 75%, I'd have to go back and check. Then you head back to your county and are supposed to be eased into a caseload week after week until you are running at full load. This depends on your county. You may be thrust into a huge caseload and told to run with it. Most counties seem to start officers at 25-30 cases and then add about 10 per one/two weeks. Caseload size varies dramatically across the state. You may have 100+ or you may be sitting pretty at 60. I think most counties are around 70-90. More hirings should drop that number to where the states wants us to be at (60). PM me with any other questions!

Comment

Thanks for the info. How do you like being a P.O. Here in N.C., what hours are your Tour Of Duty, how's the court process,and parole hearings?

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiCanes View Post
                              Thanks for the info. How do you like being a P.O. Here in N.C., what hours are your Tour Of Duty, how's the court process,and parole hearings?
                              I enjoy being a PO. It isn't for everyone, but it's a good job. There are plenty worse jobs out there, that's for sure. The pay starting out is generally higher than almost any PD in NC. However, there hasn't been a raise in forever. So we're pretty stuck at base salary year after year after year.

We are required to work 0800-1700 most days. We can work up to about 8 "shifts" per month which is 1300-2200 (there might be some changes on this soon though). You have to work at least 4 of these per month. You also have to work at least one weekend day per month. You can work more if you'd like.

The court absolutely depends on your county. Some courts are a complete mess. The DA's suck, your cases get continued for months and months and months, the defense attorneys are idiots/jerks, and the judges don't care about you or your case. Some courts are great. The judges want your input, the DA's really discuss cases with you (and help defend you if needed), and the defense attorneys at least give you respect. Each county is going to be different. Some counties hold superior court only once every 2 months because they're so rural. Others have it every day.

Probation hearings are generally pretty standard though. You read your report and possibly give some extra updates or information regarding the offender or what is going on. You field any questions from the DA, the judge, and the offender or his attorney. Some judges want a recommendation from you, some don't. Sometimes the defense attorney/public defender will deny the violations and you'll take the stand to testify and defend your actions/the violations. You may be required to do preliminary hearings when you make an arrest, if the offender doesn't waive this hearing (pretty much a probable cause hearing). Depending on the county, you may be required to draw up modification orders as to anything new added/removed due to the hearing. Some counties have their clerks do all this.

So much of probation varies from county to county. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5045 users online. 343 members and 4702 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X