300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Police

I currently work as an armed security officer for a hospital in Tennessee. We make approximately $16/hr with shift differential and from what I've looked at online, that's about the average for the hospital company police officers in NC. I'm not sure what it's like in NC but it seems like we have more psych and drug overdose patients than we do regular patients.

Does anyone have personal knowledge about the company police hospital jobs in the larger cities in NC? Tennessee isn't ever going to get on board with the company police concept. Memphis and Knoxville hospitals are deputized by the sheriff's office but they're still on the $10/hour pay scale and there's no future in that.

From what I've found online, all of the NC hospitals I've looked at require you to have already graduated a NC academy. Are jobs plentiful enough that you stand a chance of landing one out there before your certification runs out? It's so ridiculous here in TN that you have hundreds of people competing for 1 opening most of the time.

http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...6+12%3a01%3a00

Not quite hospital police, almost same as being hospital security.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I do not know of any hospitals in the Charlotte area that have police. Their security departments are not bad jobs, in fact the pay is competitive with or better than many rural areas or small towns. I think UNC Hospitals have their own police, distinct from UNC Chapel Hill, but not positive. I have seen job postings that I think specified UNC Hospitals. I have also heard of hospital police at some hospitals in small or midsized cities, but do not recall specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by jnhdrac View Post
        I do not know of any hospitals in the Charlotte area that have police. Their security departments are not bad jobs, in fact the pay is competitive with or better than many rural areas or small towns. I think UNC Hospitals have their own police, distinct from UNC Chapel Hill, but not positive. I have seen job postings that I think specified UNC Hospitals. I have also heard of hospital police at some hospitals in small or midsized cities, but do not recall specifics.
        If there is a Veterans Hospital it will have USVAPD. There was an announcement for jobs there a couple weeks ago, I believe the starting rate was 38,000 or 39,000 per year. That was with no night differential or overtime. Roughly around 18 to 19 an hour.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

A lot of hospitals in NC have their own company police department. Some of the hospitals that have them are Pitt Memorial Hospital in Greenville, Wayne Memorial in Goldsboro, New Hanover Memorial in Wilmington, and Wake Med in Raleigh.

IMO, most of the people that get hired as hospital police officers in NC are either retired LE or they have several years of LE experience. I do not think hospital LE is an entry level gig for someone right out of BLET. Most hospitals want someone who has experience because of the liability issues involved in a hospital setting.

Comment

Pitt County Memorial Hospital as well as the parent organization University Health Systems have company police at most of their facilities. PCMH hires on a fairly regular basis. They were going to sponsor me for BLET and since I was already a hospital employee they told me when I graduated to come see them if I wanted to work. So they may be interested in entry level folks...like everything else I am sure it is situational and person dependent. Their pay range starts in the 15 per hour realm.

Comment

PCMH was one of the jobs I was looking at online. I was hoping to find something active out that way. The hospital I currently work for has a full service psych unit, so between that and the family members we deal with, we stay really busy. The next best thing around here is Vanderbilt but they never hire anymore and their security department is unarmed and pays $10/hour.

Comment

Hickory has Catawba Valley Medical Center, and they have a private police force.
                John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

UNC does have seperate hospital and university police as well as security guards. Duke University has it's own police department that handles campus and the hospital. Both are decent jobs with decent pay rates for the area.

The only way you are going to make $16 a hour is if you lateral in and take some academy time. Duke should be looking for at least four more officers by the end of the year. At least that is the word I've heard from people I know in that department.
                  W.W.S.D
                  What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

As was stated, most hospitals employ their own police officers. The ones around my area pretty much all require you to be certified. However, I have heard from a few that it's very possible to move from a security, nonsworn position, into a sworn one and be put through an academy if you show interest and display the aptitude.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5759 users online. 343 members and 5416 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X