300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal justice degree

Going back to school to finish up and get my degree in criminal justice. Online of course because being an officer (and working 3rd shift) my time is limited. I have noticed here recently that more and more departments are mandating a degree be required in order to get hired or to be promoted.
    "In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC."

FYI: the FOP offers some great tuition discounts on some online colleges to memebers. Although I believe I am going to take online classes through my local community college due to the high cost of online college credit hour tuition (anywhere from $225-275 per credit hour). Either way it's gotta get done right?

Comment

Is there a question in there somewhere?

Comment

Are there any quality schools that offer criminal justice online? Can anyone speak from experience?

Comment

There are plenty of brick and morter schools that offer on-line degrees. There are many threads on this subject. Google is also your friend.

Boston College, Univ. of Cincinnati, Tiffin Univ., Western New Mexico Univ., a number of state schools in Texas and Florida, etc., etc.

Comment

Although I am not a LEO, CJ is not a good major. It really doesn't teach you much and since you are a LEO, most of the classes will be like BLET without the shooting and defense tactics. CJ is basically a branch of sociology that is heavy on theories.

I would think a degree in management, public admin, business, computer science, or accounting would be a better option than a CJ degree.

Just my two cents...

Comment

A few of my colleagues have used Columbia Southern University. It is a strictly online university. I've spoke to at least 10 people and they explained is as you are paying for your degree but not really learning anything. Classes last only a few weeks and start when you want them to from what I understand.

Comment

Hangman, the down side is that a lot of departments are stipulating CJ degrees. I have noticed more than a few that say a CJ degree is preferred. I was told that my degree in applied sciences was "interesting but not useful."
                W.W.S.D
                What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

Go to American Military University. It is a good online school. Regional and national accredited. $250/credit

Comment

I have read great things about AMU, although I can't see myself paying $250 per credit hour. I think I will tranfer to an in-state university that offers online classes for criminal justice. Save a couple bucks. I have heard mixed things on a criminal justice degree. Some say it is useful others don't think so. I figure a degree in CJ would be a perk for any department that is planning on hiring a potential officer. So I don't really see the negatives unless you decide to get out of law enforcement.

Comment

the only negative i can see with a CJ degree is that many of the applicants might have CJ degrees. So therefore having something different to bring to the table might be an even bigger plus. That's what I've heard, but any degree is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

A degree in criminal justice affords you the opportunity to market your law enforcement experience in the academic arena. If you find a college that offers many different class selections you can avoid a great deal of the “theory” stuff so to speak, and focus on other “harder science” aspects of criminal justice like forensics and crime analysis.

I have done both online and the brick and mortar classes. A good online school (State University) is a hell of a lot harder than “normal” college classes. After I started online courses, I missed the easiness or going to classes and taking tests but online I could handle more classes at one time due to the extra time you can put in. In short, online you have to read more and do a lot more work. It all comes down to how you learn. If you learn better from reading and memorizing than online classes will benefit you more than lecture based courses or listening to someone run there suck for an hour….

You can’t pay for a degree from a nationally and regionally accredited college; online schools have this false stigma. The painful truth is you have to earn it, and it’s a pain in the ass…. Take the classes that interest you personally, and you will have a better chance of hanging in there.

Comment

I saw that Western Carolina University, and UNC Pembroke offer bacherlors degrees online in criminal justice, so when it is time for me to do my transfer I think I will apply to them. How is a socialogy degree marketable as a LEO?

Comment

Originally posted by Bdadude View Post
                            I saw that Western Carolina University, and UNC Pembroke offer bacherlors degrees online in criminal justice, so when it is time for me to do my transfer I think I will apply to them. How is a socialogy degree marketable as a LEO?
                            The college game is changing. Criminal justice is a big market today. Some of the best instructors I have ever personally had where law enforcement personnel. Once I knew who they were I took as many classes with them as possible seeing as they have real word experience to add to the learning environment. I would rather learn from a law enforcement official than some jackass with a Ph.D, who has only read about police real work. This appears to be a common theme today in the criminal justice field and colleges have started to hire law enforcement officials who have degrees. They are hired to be college criminal justice mentors, instructors, assistant instructors, etc. The more experience you have as a police officer combined with education makes you very marketable in the academic sphere.

Comment

I was recently declined a position with an agency I had for so long wanted to become a part of because I had no college degree. I was beat out by a "school teacher". While i have active LEO experience...its a shame that it is coming to this but I just have to adapt and overcome. So that is why i am going back to school to finish up. I just dont understand why people say a CJ degree doesnt mean squat, especially when or if you decide to get out of law enforcement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4387 users online. 271 members and 4116 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X