Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warrior_oh58d
    replied
    I never had a problem at durham regional (a duke hospital) or any others for that matter, unless i'm transporting involuntary commitments i haven't had an issue with having to disarm

Leave a comment:

• MikeNice
    replied
    I don't know about Raleigh but, in Durham on duty officers only disarm when entering the psych wards. Usually there are also several armed officers in the hospital keeping an eye on any criminals or convicts recieving treatment.

That is addition to the two armed campus police officers stationed in the hospital. They have officers covering the hospital in twelve hour shifts. They also have several unarmed security guards patroling the hospital. It is a lot of things but wide open is not one of them.

Raleigh could be a whole different ball game though.

Leave a comment:

• RCKoutWurGLKout
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeNice View Post
    RF I have actually ran in to a cop that was carrying sans badge or other identifying paper work. He turned out to be legit. He was a complete jerk about things though. So, he was asked to leave any way.

People tend to forget that nobody knows you are the good guy untill you prove it. If you are toting a gun with no paper work you will be considerred a criminal. That is especially true at a place like Duke. They make their police officer's register their off duty carry gun. It must also be inspected and approved by the armorer, along with their ammo choice. The caliber and barrel length must meet certain minimum regulations as well. They are very uptight about guns for everybody.

They even stripped the guns from security officers that had been carrying them for years. There was no incident. They just felt it was too intimidating and that it posed too much of a liability risk.
    I hate going to Duke for Medical runs; exactly for that reason. I felt more exposed at the Duke campus in Raleigh than I ever have...Thankfully, our dept doesn't go there often.

Leave a comment:

• Plumley
    replied
    Originally posted by Hokie13 View Post
    What about public schools? I assume LEOs are allowed to carry but I can only imagine what would happen if a student or faculty member saw the gun.
    Easy fix. Keep your creds on you and clip your badge on your belt.

Leave a comment:

• MikeNice
    replied
    RF I have actually ran in to a cop that was carrying sans badge or other identifying paper work. He turned out to be legit. He was a complete jerk about things though. So, he was asked to leave any way.

People tend to forget that nobody knows you are the good guy untill you prove it. If you are toting a gun with no paper work you will be considerred a criminal. That is especially true at a place like Duke. They make their police officer's register their off duty carry gun. It must also be inspected and approved by the armorer, along with their ammo choice. The caliber and barrel length must meet certain minimum regulations as well. They are very uptight about guns for everybody.

They even stripped the guns from security officers that had been carrying them for years. There was no incident. They just felt it was too intimidating and that it posed too much of a liability risk.
    Last edited by MikeNice; 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM. Reason: ran in to the censors

Leave a comment:

• rfburns
    replied
    "If you didn't have your credentials"? I would hope that anytime you're armed, you've got your credentials!

Personally, if I haven't been to a particular place before (say, a hospital) and I'm not sure if I'm going to encounter a metal detector, I'll leave my gun at home or in the car. Once I'm pretty confident I'm not going to come across a metal detector, I'll carry the next time I go there. I'd rather go unarmed for a while than have the long drawn-out conversation about where I work, why I'm there, and then still be subjected to whether or not they want to let me come in.

Leave a comment:

• MikeNice
    replied
    It would be a situation that would probably cause more headaches than necessary. Once the gun was found at the ER metal detector you would probably have to explain to multiple campus cops why you were there and why you had the gun. Then if you didn't have your credentials you would probably have to wait and be verified. Depending on the circumstances you might just be asked to leave.

Duke is posted as a no gun zone. So, it would probably be a hassle if you were spotted any where in North or South with a gun.
    Last edited by MikeNice; 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM. Reason: butcher of the english language

Leave a comment:

• ashwinder
    replied
    Not to hijack the thread however, I have a similar question. Can you LEOs Concealed at Duke Hospital or do they have some sort of policy that says LEOs can not carry there?

Leave a comment:

• Kieth M.
    replied
    I can't carry concealed in a nudist camp...without tremendous discomfort, that is.

Leave a comment:

• moneytra1n
    replied
    Other people would have called the police.

Leave a comment:

• Deputyfarva252
    replied
    As far as carrying in schools your good to go , although i did have a run in with one of the principals at the highschool. My shirt got stuck on a chair as i was standing up , one of the parents saw the gun , unknown to me. I was walking outside and the principal came running outside as im leaving and was like "one of the parents said you have a gun" i said yes sir but i also have the badge to go with it . He got real ****ty with me and started asking where do i work and who was my boss. I told him very politly the number he could call to confirm my employment and told him if he had any further questions he could direct them to the sheriff. Thing i dont get is if you think someone is armed and has no reason being why are you going to confront them with no weapon . I would have thought he would have called the cops to save his own @$$. But maybe thats just my way of thinking

Leave a comment:

• RCKoutWurGLKout
    replied
    Yeah, I hate going to hurricanes games for that reason...but I'm not technically sworn so I can't carry my duty weapon anyway. At least with the RPD presence I feel a little better...that is until I have to walk forever, unarmed, past drunken idiots, to get to my car.

Leave a comment:

• boomhower1820
    replied
    I still went, it was something the spousal unit was dying to see. The were using metal detectors so you weren't sneaking it by at this event. Crappy policy though. First time I had been out of the house unarmed in so long I can't even remember.

Leave a comment:

• RPD07
    replied
    Sure is, you buy a ticket to see an event and they can refuse you entry at their choosing and refund you your money. Personally, I still go there and don't feel the need to boycott them. I still have some form of a weapon on me to protect myself. I also know which events they don't use metal detectors at... so what they don't know won't hurt them.

Leave a comment:

• Smurfette_76
    replied
    I'm assuming it's considered a private business, RPD07?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4373 users online. 243 members and 4130 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X