Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a situation that would probably cause more headaches than necessary. Once the gun was found at the ER metal detector you would probably have to explain to multiple campus cops why you were there and why you had the gun. Then if you didn't have your credentials you would probably have to wait and be verified. Depending on the circumstances you might just be asked to leave.

Duke is posted as a no gun zone. So, it would probably be a hassle if you were spotted any where in North or South with a gun.
    Last edited by MikeNice; 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM. Reason: butcher of the english language
    W.W.S.D
    What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

"If you didn't have your credentials"? I would hope that anytime you're armed, you've got your credentials!

Personally, if I haven't been to a particular place before (say, a hospital) and I'm not sure if I'm going to encounter a metal detector, I'll leave my gun at home or in the car. Once I'm pretty confident I'm not going to come across a metal detector, I'll carry the next time I go there. I'd rather go unarmed for a while than have the long drawn-out conversation about where I work, why I'm there, and then still be subjected to whether or not they want to let me come in.

Comment

RF I have actually ran in to a cop that was carrying sans badge or other identifying paper work. He turned out to be legit. He was a complete jerk about things though. So, he was asked to leave any way.

People tend to forget that nobody knows you are the good guy untill you prove it. If you are toting a gun with no paper work you will be considerred a criminal. That is especially true at a place like Duke. They make their police officer's register their off duty carry gun. It must also be inspected and approved by the armorer, along with their ammo choice. The caliber and barrel length must meet certain minimum regulations as well. They are very uptight about guns for everybody.

They even stripped the guns from security officers that had been carrying them for years. There was no incident. They just felt it was too intimidating and that it posed too much of a liability risk.
        Last edited by MikeNice; 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM. Reason: ran in to the censors
        W.W.S.D
        What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie13 View Post
          What about public schools? I assume LEOs are allowed to carry but I can only imagine what would happen if a student or faculty member saw the gun.
          Easy fix. Keep your creds on you and clip your badge on your belt.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeNice View Post
            RF I have actually ran in to a cop that was carrying sans badge or other identifying paper work. He turned out to be legit. He was a complete jerk about things though. So, he was asked to leave any way.

People tend to forget that nobody knows you are the good guy untill you prove it. If you are toting a gun with no paper work you will be considerred a criminal. That is especially true at a place like Duke. They make their police officer's register their off duty carry gun. It must also be inspected and approved by the armorer, along with their ammo choice. The caliber and barrel length must meet certain minimum regulations as well. They are very uptight about guns for everybody.

They even stripped the guns from security officers that had been carrying them for years. There was no incident. They just felt it was too intimidating and that it posed too much of a liability risk.
            I hate going to Duke for Medical runs; exactly for that reason. I felt more exposed at the Duke campus in Raleigh than I ever have...Thankfully, our dept doesn't go there often.

Comment

I don't know about Raleigh but, in Durham on duty officers only disarm when entering the psych wards. Usually there are also several armed officers in the hospital keeping an eye on any criminals or convicts recieving treatment.

That is addition to the two armed campus police officers stationed in the hospital. They have officers covering the hospital in twelve hour shifts. They also have several unarmed security guards patroling the hospital. It is a lot of things but wide open is not one of them.

Raleigh could be a whole different ball game though.
              W.W.S.D
              What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

I never had a problem at durham regional (a duke hospital) or any others for that matter, unless i'm transporting involuntary commitments i haven't had an issue with having to disarm
                http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1572.png
                You mean I get to have a gun AND handcuffs....how could this get any better?

as seen on www.berettaforum.net

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2714 users online. 134 members and 2580 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X