300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Information about life in NC

My daughter has just gotten new order to MCAS Cerry Point, NC. looking for information regarding cost of sales tax and any other licensing fees for a new vehicle purchase in NC. She is currently at MCAS Yuma, AZ has a car she would like to sell and trying to decide the best place to buy a new car, AZ purchase, sales tax licensing fees, vs permanant address in Nebraska where I know it will be high, vs buying registering in NC. If she buys new car in AZ what is involved in license/tax/fees when she arrives in NC and goes to get it registered.

Also any local information in off base housing availability and average costs.
    How much if any snowfall, will she need 4wd or is the proximity to the ocean going to keep the snow away?

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
    My daughter has just gotten new order to MCAS Cerry Point, NC. looking for information regarding cost of sales tax and any other licensing fees for a new vehicle purchase in NC. She is currently at MCAS Yuma, AZ has a car she would like to sell and trying to decide the best place to buy a new car, AZ purchase, sales tax licensing fees, vs permanant address in Nebraska where I know it will be high, vs buying registering in NC. If she buys new car in AZ what is involved in license/tax/fees when she arrives in NC and goes to get it registered.

Also any local information in off base housing availability and average costs.
    How much if any snowfall, will she need 4wd or is the proximity to the ocean going to keep the snow away?
    I moved here from AZ 4 years ago, that being said I will answer the questions that i do know the answer to.

Snow: maybe 1 to 2 inches a year.
    4WD: not needed.
    Vehicle: Purchase the car in AZ, vehicles and taxes are much cheaper.
    Registration: (based on the safe assumption that she is in the military) register the vehicle in AZ for 2 years (cheaper), she is not required to register the vehicle in NC if she is active duty, nor required to get an NC drivers license.

Hope that I have helped.

Comment

He is correct with what he posted. I would check on the rebates offered as being a bigger incentive than registering the vehicle. She's active duty, so it doesn't matter with the registering, but there are good sales going on and rebates (more if you're military), but they could very well have the same in AZ.

Housing.

MCAS Cherry Point is in Havelock, NC...small, military town...maybe half of Yuma, probably less. LeJeune is much bigger, but she's an hour from there. To the East of her (toward the beach which is 25-30 minutes away) there is the tiny town of Newport, NC and further east is Morehead City which gives her access to Atlantic Beach and the island or continuing east is Beaufort, NC. Beaufort is probably too far east to fight traffic to the base. Morehead would be doable, but it's going to be higher than Havelock. I'm assuming you're asking about renting not owning...the price depends on what she wants and of course, many boot Marines share a place with other when just starting out. Rent will run from $500 to $800ish depending on what she gets.

To the west of Havelock (20 minutes) up the road is New Bern, NC. It's larger than Havelock, close enough to base and has a large Marine population (as does most of Eastern NC ). She can find places to rent about the same as Havelock, just New Bern is slightly bigger with a bit more to do.

However, i said that to say this...this is Eastern NC and its small town compared to the rest of the world. There's plenty to do if she looks...outdoors stuff and whatnot....however, shopping she's going to have to travel to.

If she needs anything when she gets here, drop me a PM, I'll send you my number and will be glad to help your daughter out.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I have passed your information onto her.

Comment

Auto sales tax on new cars NC is 3%. Maybe used as well but I'm not sure. The best you are going to find any where. Don't purchase the car around a military base. Cars always cost more around military bases.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4198 users online. 255 members and 3943 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X