X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obxemt
    replied
    Originally posted by THE BRONZE View Post
    Greensboro may have issues now, but for somebody starting a 28.5 year career, the agency shouldn’t be discounted for short-term problems.
    That's an excellent point. However, short-term stress and anxiety can be a killer. Low morale can make 6 months or a year seem like an eternity. Throw in screwy management and a worthless court system, and 28.5 years starts to look like a life sentence.

I know nothing about Greensboro and have only worked for comparatively small agencies, so I'm just speaking generally. I work for a good agency but things aren't perfect (like everywhere else). Within the next few years, we're going to have something like 10 retirements. All are high level supervisors. So in five years, the place will be unrecognizable. Hanging on until then will be interesting to say the least!

Leave a comment:

• THE BRONZE
    replied
    Originally posted by Hale View Post
    I wouldnt work in Greensboro....
    If law enforcement were a ten-year career, I would agree with this statement. But it isn't. When I started in Greensboro over two decades ago, WSPD was the agency in the Traid with the reputation where nobody wanted to stay very long. If I remember correctly, the city council was the biggest source of strife. GPD was the big dog with best pay, equipment, training, and reputation.

But we had one chief who rested on his IACP laurels, followed by a carpetbagger who didn't think you were a bad cop until you were indicted. Added to that, we had a city manager with a hard-on for a new chief trying to fix things the carpetbagger screwed up, and our present interim manager is doing a self-colon exam. GPD has fallen, no doubt about it.

But what will happen in Greensboro in the next twenty? The current chief will retire within a year, and a new city manager is starting his job. Greensboro still has excellent people, and despite the budget crunches, is starting to institute take home cars for everybody. The patrol sergeants are getting them this year, and the corporals are supposed to be issued cars next year.

High Point has a chief that has his stuff together, but look at what he replaced. Who will replace him? WSPD got rid of their chief with her dyed hair and slip-on shoes, but I met several WSPD officers who made it obvious their agency has many of the same root problems that plague GPD.

Greensboro may have issues now, but for somebody starting a 28.5 year career, the agency shouldn’t be discounted for short-term problems.

Leave a comment:

• Hale
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveNC
    Winston-Salem has a phenomenal chief. Chief Cunningham is a cop's cop.
    Winston-Salem is a great department. Most of the officers I have met seem to be squared away.

Leave a comment:

• TheMasterpiece
    replied
    Having lived in Raleigh my entire life I really love this city and the size of the department is perfect. Id love to be able to work here so that is really my first choice. Otherwise I do like big cities in general so Raleigh or Charlotte would be my favorites. Gastonia is really nice too I've talked to representatives from their department and it looks nice.

Thanks for answers

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    The way things are right now the best city is the one that will hire you.

Leave a comment:

• Hale
    replied
    I wouldnt work in Greensboro....

Leave a comment:

• CobaltNC
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMasterpiece View Post
    So Im just wondering who would have the best internships and later the best careers. For the real job I'm looking at Charlotte, Gastonia, Fayetteville, Clayton, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.
    I think if you remove Gastonia and Clayton from that list, it's a good list. Charlotte is obviously the biggest. Raleigh is the capital. You will get comprable amounts of action in the Triad cities. You will hear many people trash Fayetteville, but it is a very good department. These are all good choices if you want to be a busy city cop. If you want a slower pace, I'd look for a smaller municipal department or a university department that does not have their own academy and will hire you with just BLET from a community college....If that's what you want.

Or you can attempt SHP and go to a great academy and have some flexibility in what area you work in.

Leave a comment:

• obxemt
    replied
    I would personally choose Charlotte, Gastonia, and Raleigh in that order. The only reason Raleigh is last is because I prefer the Charlotte area and Gastonia isn't far away.

Leave a comment:

• TheMasterpiece
    started a topic Where is the best city to work?

Where is the best city to work?

Just a quick question to any experienced LEO here. I will be going through an internship in a few months and then hopefully beginning my career within 1 year after the internship. So far I have applications for Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh filled out for my internship. Raleigh's sounds really exciting since the entire internship is ride alongs (minus the research paper) and I get to work the night shift (CM does not allow night ride alongs).

So Im just wondering who would have the best internships and later the best careers. For the real job I'm looking at Charlotte, Gastonia, Fayetteville, Clayton, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem.

Anyone prefer small or big cities, which departments are the most supportive etc. Any answers are greatly appreciated

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5846 users online. 359 members and 5487 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X