300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar School

Hey guys, I'm going to Radar School in November and am kind of nervous about it. I've been told that it's one of the more difficult schools to pass. So far I've only gone to DCI school. I don't have a radar in my patrol car, but I might get to drive one that has one just to get used to using one (but not do any traffic stops or anything with it.).

Any tips or any rumors that need to be addressed before I go? Thanks

Originally posted by chris.josey View Post
    Hey guys, I'm going to Radar School in November and am kind of nervous about it. I've been told that it's one of the more difficult schools to pass. So far I've only gone to DCI school. I don't have a radar in my patrol car, but I might get to drive one that has one just to get used to using one (but not do any traffic stops or anything with it.).

Any tips or any rumors that need to be addressed before I go? Thanks
    Don't play with the radar before you are trained, because ,yes, you can damage it beyond repair if you goof around with it in certain ways.

Up north its a 4 day course, on the 5th day we instruct in laser/lidar as well.
    I wouldnt say its difficult, but it is a bit dry and there are a number of theories and concepts you will most likely have to memorize. If you don't understand something, ask. Up here we usually have a number of different instructors in the class, so if you don't understand the way one guy explains something, ask another instructor.
    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

We have our radar installed a few weeks before we attend school. They encourage us to use them to practice our estimations since NC law requires that you form an opinion of the violators speed. Radar is used in court to cooberate your opinion. I would encourage you to have someone go over the unit with you and practice doing some clocks. It will make life alot easier for you when you attend school by building your confidence in your ability to estimate speed. In the event you aren't able to practice much before school, there will be a practice day, but probably not enough to make you comfortable with it. Unless its a combined course, your whole course work will only include radar.

Comment

Practice, practice PRACTICE, practice some more leave the tractor trailers and sports cars alone

Comment

Listen pay attention and study, if you do these things it shouldnt be that difficult.
          Striving to create a world in which I am no longer needed. 1*

Comment

Have you seen some of the morons running around with RADAR certifications?

You'll be fine. The technical stuff is just memorization. The hardest part for me was checking off on each individual RADAR. Have someone show you how to work it and DO practice beforehand. I've had 17-year-old ride alongs pick it up in a matter of minutes. Literally...like four minutes of road practice and they're nailing their approximations within 1 mph.

We do our road tests in a 35 zone. If you have an ear for music, or just aren't tone deaf, the doppler tone is your friend. Get that pitch in your head. You'll know what 35 looks like, and you'll know what 35 sounds like. So wait for them on your road test. If there's one that's way under or way over, don't take it.
            Last edited by obxemt; 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I went to CVCC for my RADAR. Nothing to worry about, everyone in my class passed. I did have to study every night though, the hardest part for me was the formulas as I hate anything to do with math. The instructor was really good and the practical parts were somewhat fun as opposed to sitting in the classroom.

After the written test, you of course must spend several hours with a certified operator working the front/rear antennas moving and non-moving. Then you mail your hours to the state for certification. I got my certification backin in two weeks, but others have waited months.
              John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4654 users online. 270 members and 4384 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X