300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Purdue, warrantless searches on probation

On July 30, 2009, Gov. Purdue signed a bill that now allows police officers to perform warrantless searches of individuals on probation. Can someone please clarify these search conditions? Does it include residents, vehicles, etc....

"Person, vehicle, and premises."

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B...ML/S123v1.html

Comment

This hasn't been approved yet, right? (or it would be a law, duh) Yes, I'm the girl that should have paid more attention in the "how a bill becomes a law" class in 2nd grade. If I"m remembering correctly it's still got a ways to go before all that happens.

HOWEVER, I pray this goes through...ahhhh suki suki...the ***es that will get tagged if we don't have to have P&P around!
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

OP says it has. I'm not sure either way. The link is to the bill as proposed. Not sure what the current status is.

Comment

ROFL. I actually did a search on how a bill becomes a law when I admitted that I wasn't up to par on my civics lessons.

It's not law. It's got to go to the house and everything. It will be awhile. And I think their website says they won't be back in session until May of 2011.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Looks like it IS law after all:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1627521.html

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ

I realize this is about a federal bill, but it's cute nonetheless.

Comment

Damn if you ain't right. There you go.
                sigpic

Comment

Has anyone received training on this?
                  sigpic

Comment

I've never received training on this, but I have been out with a probation officer performing a warrantless search on a probationer that ended in 2 arrests.

Comment

That's never been an issue. What is appears is happening is that we (Officers) no longer need P&P Officers to conduct warrantless searches.

Prior to this, we used P&P officers all the time...for that very reason...now they are saying we don't need them, but I'm curious if it's carte blanche or if there is a reasonableness standard.
                      sigpic

Comment

OMG...you guys are just now being able to do this???? Wow. Thankfully, we've been using this for quite some time here in the Hoosier state. Works like a charm too! Get ready to have some fun!!

Smurf, to answer your question about "reasonableness," at least here in Indiana, we can't just do a search because we want to or have some loose info. The judge has tossed a few things found because some officers were too loosey-goosey in how they have been using these searches. We actually got a memo handed down last month from our Probation Department.
                        Last edited by towncop; 09-05-2009, 06:16 AM.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          Has anyone received training on this?
                          I'm sorry, I couldn't hear your question, I was too busy listening to my ultra-important and daily-usable Juvenile Minority Sensitivity Training.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          What is appears is happening is that we (Officers) no longer need P&P Officers to conduct warrantless searches.

Prior to this, we used P&P officers all the time...for that very reason...now they are saying we don't need them, but I'm curious if it's carte blanche or if there is a reasonableness standard.
                          Right and good question. I presumed it was open season, but that's why Training and Standards need to address it.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                            Works like a charm too! Get ready to have some fun!!

That's what I'm saying!!!

It's annoying to me that this isn't public knowledge around here. WTF not?

OBX,

Did mine last month. Complete with scenarios. At least all of our training is in house by Officers we work with so it's not so bad.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah Juvenile Minority Sensitivity Training is worse than NC AWARE training!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5261 users online. 341 members and 4920 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X