300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSPD Academy

I was curious to find out if anyone knows what a typical day at the academy would be like. (it doesn't have to be for WSPD) Does the P/T consist of cardio only? (running, sit ups, push ups)

Is there any literature available to new recruits that I could read to prep me for the academy?

Lastly, if a recruit is somewhat struggling during the academy, does the agency simply ask them to leave right away or do they inform him/her of this and ask them to correct their issue.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    J
    Let only one man decide your fate... YOU
    Treat everyone with respect, but have a plan to kill them!

Everywhere is different but mine is pretty tight about everything and enforcing rules. But the main thing I can say is be in good shape for pushups, situps, and running....other then that we do a lot of calisthenics. Paying attention in class is the hard part because you get REAL sleepy on the dry subjects.
    yeah!

Comment

Mine was completely different. They were fairly tight on rules but all things considered I thought it was very laid back. We cut up and had a good time. Even most of the instructors like to joke around with us. The PT was basically a joke. We had a couple overweight guys so the runs were slow, always having to go back and get them. I think the longest we ran was ~2.25 miles. Other than that push-ups, sit-ups, butterfly kicks or other ab work-outs. If you fell behind in class there isn't much the instructors can do. Most of the classes are only a day or less. What we did is made study guides and did study groups for the guys that were struggling. It worked, not a single guys failed out of our class. Two pushed the limit but made it.

Comment

Prov and Boomhower,
        Thanks for the info. Pushups, situps, running, ab workouts: That's what I've been doing for years and I actually enjoy that type of workout. Nothing like running on a cold morning to get your juices going. The academics, like any other school setting is what gets me. The sleepy aspect during the dry subjects is understandable and no matter how much sleep you do get, you eyes will shut. I've come to realize that once you are in the academy, you are part of this team and no one wants you to fail. That's what I like. No one wants to go through a training and get ridiculed for a mistake or not being able to run fast. Study guides/groups: I enjoy these as much as I enjoy Sam's club free samples. :-) And I love the free samples.

Thanks again guys and be safe out there. God Bless
        J

Comment

The thing I found interesting about the academy is that its so different than what I had been programed to expect at "school" that I love it. I love learning the new stuff and not being stuck with the same old reading, writing, math, etc. Yes, there are a few classes that will bore you to tears...please pay attention...many of us out here are counting on you.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thanks for the pressure Smurfette
            I totally understand how someone can love the academy. I am also looking forward to the academy and the various topics that will be taught in my class. I don't expect everyday single day to be the same, which will keep me focused and determined to graduate. The dry subjects, eh well. It'll be a good way to wind down after a day of participating in the exciting hands on training.

Comment

Originally posted by JRPD View Post
              It'll be a good way to wind down after a day of participating in the exciting hands on training.
              I think we had three days of what I would call exiting hands on training: driviing, firearms, and patrol techniques. The rest of them were pretty boring, even SCAT was pretty bland. Hopefully yours is better in that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by boomhower1820 View Post
                I think we had three days of what I would call exiting hands on training: driviing, firearms, and patrol techniques. The rest of them were pretty boring, even SCAT was pretty bland. Hopefully yours is better in that aspect.
                If only they could combine firearms and driving then we could practice drive-by shootings! Now that would be fun! Hey, the bad guys do it so our training should at least match theirs!

Comment

Thanks Boomhower and ch29.
                  The SCAT could contain of mixture of blandness and excitement. I believe the SCAT room where I'll be, is the same room where we will come to endure the wonderful world of tasing.
                  ch29, Great concept. I think there's a liability issue with stray bullets flying everywhere. :-) But from what I've heard, the academy that I'll be attending soon has a driving simulator to simulate car chases. Maybe they can connect some sort of remote firearm to teach you how to shoot while in a moving car. (at the tires of the suspects car that is)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3506 users online. 166 members and 3340 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X