300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning NC BLET

Hello everyone. First thank you for the wealth of information I find on these threads, and to the experienced officers (and civilians) who take the time to provide this information.

My question is concerning your academies in NC, what are they like? I am a certified peace officer in GA, although my soon to be ex-wife and I moved to SC over a year ago (she was by far the main money maker in the family) and I am looking at what my next move will be since I am on my own. The academy I attended in GA was 3 months of hell, which I am very thankful for. I knew we were in trouble on that first morning when the bus dropped us off and the DI's got in our faces screaming, lined all 60 of us on a wall and made us run in place holding our gear while they conducted roll call, lol. They finally quit yelling the last two weeks, but it was highly stressful.

I am very thankful for that training and it made me a better officer, but I am trying to decide if starting over in a new state would be the best bet, I guess it's more of an issue of weighing my options, and "getting my mind right". I know here in S.C I only have to take 3 weeks of SC law. I am sure I will have to attend the entire academy in NC, and that is totally OK, I just don't know anything about how they are run. Any insight so I can make an informed decision would be a big help. Thank you all so much in advance.

I'm in BLET now and from what I hear (I could be wrong), if you have 2 years prior experience, you only have to take the classes that relate to NC Law and Procedures. I could be wrong...but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't have to go through a full academy or anything all over again. Unless it's been a while since you've worked as an Officer.

Comment

It would depend on which agency hired you, whether or not you would attend the whole academy (I'd imagine). If you don't get picked up by an agency and are merely attending on your own, then you'll go through the whole thing.

I would say that most BLET programs in NC are not like you described.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

depends where you go. I'm attending Coastal Plain in wilson, and its very structured and disciplined. The training is secondbest to none. They push the limits of us in physical training, they push the limits of our minds, breathing, and organization, and especially attention to detail. Heck, i'm down to 200lbs since i started running to get ready for it!

All in all you'll probably just take the NC law courses, like Arrest search seizure, juvenile block, criminal elements, Motor Vehicle Law, etc...
        Serving Since "Breakfast"

Comment

LawDawg07, the following are the general guidlines of the NC Criminal Justice Standards Division:

Out-of-state transferees will be evaluated to determine the amount and quality of their training and experience. At a minimum, out-of-state candidates must have two years of full-time, sworn law enforcement experience and have successfully completed a basic law enforcement training course accredited by the state from which they are transferring in order to be considered for transfer to a North Carolina law enforcement agency. Out-of-state transferees cannot have a break in service exceeding one year.

Prior to employment as a certified law enforcement officer in North Carolina, out-of-state transferees must successfully complete the employing agency's in-service firearms training and qualification program. They must also complete the Legal Unit (minimum of 96 hours) of the Commission-accredited BLET and successfully pass the entire state comprehensive examination within their 12-month probationary period.

Persons who have completed training as a federal law enforcement officer or a military police officer will be required to complete the Commission-accredited BLET in its entirety and successfully pass the state comprehensive examination prior to employment.

As a recruiter I mostly track our sister cities. Of the 13 largest cities, 12 of those cities presently have open hiring. Only 1 of those cities does not accept out of state laterals. All of those 13 cities have a short course of certified LE including recent BLET graduates.

Comment

LOL. So after reading all that, it's still going to depend on A) the agency that hires you or 2) if you put yourself through you're doing the whole thing????????????????????????????
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. Well, I HAVE had more than a year break in service, almost 16 months to be exact. I am most certainly going back in L.E, just a question of where. It is no more than 3 year break in service in S.C, and my cert is current in GA, so I may go back to the Atlanta metro area.

I was looking at somewhere in the Asheville NC area, also-hence the question about NC academies. Now, I respect ALL law enforcement academies for what they do, but Clayton Regional Academy in GA is frickin BRUTAL. I mean that. I am EXTREMELY glad I had that experience, lol..just don't want it again. Thanks again to all who replied, and for anyone who is currently in the academy anywhere, keep at it. Don't give up, and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by LawDawg07 View Post
                Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. Well, I HAVE had more than a year break in service, almost 16 months to be exact. I am most certainly going back in L.E, just a question of where. It is no more than 3 year break in service in S.C, and my cert is current in GA, so I may go back to the Atlanta metro area.

I was looking at somewhere in the Asheville NC area, also-hence the question about NC academies. Now, I respect ALL law enforcement academies for what they do, but Clayton Regional Academy in GA is frickin BRUTAL. I mean that. I am EXTREMELY glad I had that experience, lol..just don't want it again. Thanks again to all who replied, and for anyone who is currently in the academy anywhere, keep at it. Don't give up, and be safe.
                Asheville. Nice place to live ,the PD stays busy ,alot of drugs in the general area.

I would suggest getting in contact with Asheville PD or Buncombe County Sheriff to see what they may have to offer. I do not know how they do their laterals or if they do but it may be worth looking in to. Check out the link below it has information about laterals and also has the links to many NC agencies that have lateral programs.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/
                Last edited by BLETfun; 09-16-2008, 03:35 AM. Reason: 1

Comment

If you come to Greensboro PD you go through a short academy then a regular field training. If you need more info send me a private message
                  "Don't play dumb with me, you're not as good at it as I am"

Col Sam Flagg

Comment

Yeah, Asheville does seem like it would be a good fit for me to live. Didn't know there was a lot of drugs (good thing to know, working narcotics is a goal of mine). I have contacted the recruiter for more information. They run their own academy, no problem there. From what I have gathered, I will most certainly be attending their academy if hired; seems that even NC certified officers have to attend....IF training and experience doesn't suit their tastes. Now, that is based on my VERY limited knowledge and just going by what I have read. Interesting.

I wish I had the means to move to NC and support myself while attending the academy on my own. I commend anyone doing that. I did it in GA the ole fashioned way...put my time in the jail, waited my turn to go to Mandate, and then did it on the Sheriff's dime. Wound up moving out of state to follow my wife (the money maker in the family) and now a year later we are divorcing. Go figure, and thanks to all the information you guys have shared with me!

Comment

Originally posted by LawDawg07 View Post
                      Yeah, Asheville does seem like it would be a good fit for me to live. Didn't know there was a lot of drugs (good thing to know, working narcotics is a goal of mine). I have contacted the recruiter for more information. They run their own academy, no problem there. From what I have gathered, I will most certainly be attending their academy if hired; seems that even NC certified officers have to attend....IF training and experience doesn't suit their tastes. Now, that is based on my VERY limited knowledge and just going by what I have read. Interesting.

I wish I had the means to move to NC and support myself while attending the academy on my own. I commend anyone doing that. I did it in GA the ole fashioned way...put my time in the jail, waited my turn to go to Mandate, and then did it on the Sheriff's dime. Wound up moving out of state to follow my wife (the money maker in the family) and now a year later we are divorcing. Go figure, and thanks to all the information you guys have shared with me!
                      From my understanding Asheville pays their recruits while they attend their academy ,I think this is the standard for all PD's that have their own academies?

Comment

Cumberland County Sheriffs Office

deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted
                        Last edited by Lawman17101; 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Holy Mackeral! I just noticed the date on this post! Opps! I'm pretty sure lawdawg is done with this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawman17101 View Post
                            Holy Mackeral! I just noticed the date on this post! Opps! I'm pretty sure lawdawg is done with this post.
                            Actually your perceptions have failed you ,Lawdog last posted on 9/17.

Comment

Nah, I am not done with this post yet! I have been away for the weekend, lol.
                              Thanks for all the heads up, and possible scenario's. BLETfun, you are right, Asheville PD does pay salary while attending their academy. Lawman17101, thank you for taking the time to post as well.

I have been contacted by several recruiters in western NC, I will take it one agency at a time and learn what they require. I think NC has a pretty good idea on conducting LE training. SC uses one academy in Columbia, GA uses several regional academies through-out the state (all academic bases, except one..yours truly went to the one that was totally in your face, screaming, yelling, do not look at anyone beside you, totally paramilitary) so I think using local colleges (as well as several agencies who do their own) is a good idea. Seems to make LE training more available. Good deal.

You all be safe out there on the "mean streets". Thanks for all your posts!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5966 users online. 313 members and 5653 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X