300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much force?

Last edited by plr19; 06-25-2011, 02:51 PM.

Yeah, what exactly do you want anyone to say? Its a 4 second video that doesn't show what happened before, during, or after whatever you saw happen.

Comment

game

Last edited by plr19; 06-25-2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

The officer made three strikes, and considering you can't see for various reasons:

1) Poor quality video (youtube)
        2) ESPN banner in the way
        3) Bottom of the screen

I don't and would not want to pass judgement. Use of force is all relative to the situation. Different officers feel different about various situations. You can't tell where the officer was striking, so for all we know, the kid could have been reaching in their pants to pull a weapon. Seems like the officer used an appropriate amount of force to get whatever individual to comply quickly and stopped as soon as the said suspect came under compliance. I have not seen the full video clip.
        Last edited by RCKoutWurGLKout; 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM. Reason: spell check.

Comment

game

Comment

Originally posted by plr19 View Post
            Well I am currently enrolled in ECU as a CJ major and one day hope to be in the law enforcement field. If I was an officer I would be ashamed by the actions carried out by the officers at this game. However, I saw the situation go down and this individual was in NO WAY a threat to anyone and he was not the only one who fell victim to police brutality.
            ...Be careful what you are willing to say is police brutality and what is not. I am not a sworn LEO, but will be a sworn Justice Officer (or however Wake County calls their corrections officers). Brutality should never be accepted or taken lightly, but when you don't know who or what someone is capable of, you don't take chances.

I didn't see what happened, and I sincerely doubt, even if you were one of those crazy fools rushing the field, you saw every hand movement that person made. Any person that looks like they are reaching for something somewhere on their person and I don't know what it is, you better believe I am going to get that suspect under compliance fast, and make sure I, and the people around me are safe. I am not, and will not, nor will I let someone else around me be injured because I wanted to be Mr. "easy going officer".

Remember, the media LOVES attention getters, so anything that makes a situation look worse than it really is, they will post, and they will only put the part up that meets their ends. Since I was not there, and again, he only struck the person three times, and from what little I COULD see, he was probably bringing the suspect into compliance for the safety of all. Just think if the kid had a gun, and the officer didn't bring the the person into a safe state. What do we have then? A news video about a shot/wounded officer and or public.

As far as "other brutality"...were you there to witness that too? Or, if not, do you have any other videos that show the before and after? Because until we can see the entirety of it, we shouldn't pass judgement.

Comment

I just watched the news coverage from the incident. Anyone and everyone entering onto that field was trespassing. There is no way the officers could have arrested everyone, but anyone they grabbed was under arrest.

I did not see any excessive force. I saw severely outnumbered officers making arrests.

Comment

game

Comment

By being on the field, they were breaking the law. You can clearly hear the PA announcer telling the crowd to stay off the field. So please don't try to say the officers were in the wrong. The guy was under arrest and the officers used acceptable force while making the arrest.

Comment

game

Comment

game

Comment

Well I was not on the field as I did not want to be in the middle of that ruckus. However, there was NO reason for this officer to detain this individual in the first place. I was a witness of police officers abusing their powers, while others had enough sense to realize that they were not going to achieve anything by tackling kids that were excited to see their fellow students achieve success on the football field. Now I understand most of you guys are cops or wannabes one, but I am smart enough to realize the difference between right and wrong.
                        *Bold highlight by me*

You might want to be very careful on how you say things. If you want to be LE, then you really need to get your head in the game. This means that while yes, you are there to keep civilian safety in mind, you also need to think "what would I do if...".

This video is very one sided. What may seem like "right" to you could be "wrong" to us. I'm not much older than yourself, and I used to have similar mentalities that you are voicing, but then I started to put myself in a different mindset. I started to think, my safety is all about my awareness of my surroundings. We still don't know the whole story with that video, but you better believe if I see someone I don't know, who is acting a fool, and let's say ignores a command given by me, and then decides to reach in their pockets or waistband for something hidden, he's going down to the ground.

You can say what you want to say, but I guarantee that if you do make it into a LE agency, you will look at this video and experience differently once you've had a little time out in the field.

On the other side of things, this video DOESN'T portray everything, and that's why judgement by you and myself, should be left ungiven. If he was abusing his powers, he should be reprimanded, but if he wasn't, then he was simply doing the job he is sworn to do.

But since you weren't there next to the guy when it happened, and the video you offer doesn't show that much, I will have to disagree with your "I know what's right and you do not" assumption.
                        Last edited by RCKoutWurGLKout; 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM. Reason: fixing quote.

Comment

Apparently the force was not acceptable considering the fact that the ECU police chief is heading up an investigation into this incident.
                          Duh, a complaint was made. It has to be investigated. He can't just say no. Have a clue how the world works.

Im glad you got to run onto a field. Cool, good for you. But do you know how many people have died by being crushed against fences or by being trampled while others were rushing onto the field?

Comment

Apparently the force was not acceptable considering the fact that the ECU police chief is heading up an investigation into this incident.
                            Investigations will happen whether there was misconduct or not. The fact that they are investigating simply means someone has made an allegation and it needs to be investigated. Would you like it if a judge simply said "you're guilty" before you any investigation has occured? Well, that is what you're doing to that officer here. That is also why we have the "innocent until proven guilty" mindset.

Comment

game

Last edited by plr19; 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5506 users online. 314 members and 5192 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X