300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blet??

I am thinking of moving to NC from Michigan since the LE job market is terrible here. How is the market in NC? If I was to put myself through BLET would I have a pretty good chance of being hired? What are some recommended colleges to take BLET?
    ANy info greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

If you are in the Charlotte area and not going for CMPD there is a top notch BLET at Central Piedmont Community College. It is a very tough academy but they have an excellent reputation. As far as getting hired, a lot has to do with your background. If you have BLET and a good clean background you will be in pretty good shape to get on somewhere around here. Also college or military will help. Like others have said NC is a rapidly growing place with a lot of LE opportunity.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Comment

How hard is it to get an agency to sponsor you not hire you. Just sponsor where you get your tuition waived? Do I just call up any dept or is there certain dept's that do it? Any suggestions on dept's?
      Thanks!

Comment

TJ,

When I was looking into it, the gentleman in charge of the BLET program at my local Comm. College had pre-written generic letters that you could use as your template, or just photocopy or type word-for-word as your own. You then mail off to the different agencies and/or speak with their recruitment personnel directly.

I can tell you that some, albeit very few, agencies will put you through their own academy. The only one I can think of is the Wake County Sheriff's Dept. I'm pretty sure they don't like the BLET through Comm. Colleges because the Sheriff has a more "stress-like" academy. Those are my reasonings at least. I'm not sure if that is truth or not.

As far as other agencies, some but not all accept out-of-state applicants. I know Raleigh does as they just recently started their lateral-transfer program. Check out google "raleigh nc police dept" and they have a good amount of info on their recruitment page.

As was stated by SteveNC, the market is pretty good down here. The housing has taken a small set back (ie some property values haven't increased much or at all) but on the whole, we are still growing (at least the "triangle area" focused around Raleigh/Durham.
        *edit* Not sure if this is what you meant, but to give you an idea of cost of living, I rent a two story older townhome near a college community where the neighborhoods are not the best, but far from the worst, near inner Raleigh. I pay $625 for a two bed, one and a half bath which includes the city water. That's the low end and I got lucky. Most of the rental rates at far nicer apartment communities range from the $750's to the low $1000's depending on where you want to live. You can get a nice house (small to moderate size) for that price range if you are interested in living a bit further from the city. Milk is approximately $3.59 to $3.99 a gallon depending on the store, and gas ranges from $3.48 (cheapest I saw today) to about $3.79 (most expensive where they know they can rip you off) area. I've lived here most of my life (or the surrounding area) so if you need any other information, feel free to ask away. */end edit*

Best bet (and this is what I do when I look for out of state agencies to apply with) is google map USA, and then go to the state you want, and look for the big cities/suburbs surrounding said big cities. Then I google said city's name and "police dept" and look for their recruitment info. Best of luck to you.
        Last edited by RCKoutWurGLKout; 09-05-2008, 05:02 AM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

TJ,

The best way to go about getting sponsored is to go to either the PD or SO over the jurisdiction you are moving to. It's no skin off their nose to sponsor you. They do the background check to make sure you have no felonies, sign the forms and there you go. I personally recommend people attend BLET on their own and not through an agency if you can afford to do that. When an agency is paying you to be trained, you are going to be required (mostof the time) to sign a contract. I personally am not willing to sign something stating I will be at X location for X years....especially not if you're new to the job. It would be bad to get in it and find out it's not for you....you'd owe them money.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette: Let me do the math. Go to BLET at a community college on your own. At the end you are certified and you owe nothing. Or go to an agency that has their own academy. Let's see my Department would pay you $16.25 a hour for a 40 hour work week, for 25 weeks. In the end you would be certified and have received $16,256, with a 2 year service obligation. If you leave before your 2 year obligation you would have contracted to pay back $3,000. Without counting the addtional 5% to 401K, 2 vacation, and 2 sick days the person would have earned are you sure going on your dime is the best option?

Comment

Being that I was still working while attending BLET, I continued to make money and contribute to my retirement and 401K. In addition, I had the freedom to chose where I want to work after completing BLET and wasn't put in a position to have to work somewhere or paying back money. Also, paying back the money is the least of the worries. You'd then have to find another job and explain why you didn't want to stay with that agency. That would be tough for a LEO with little to no experience to overcome. Two years is a long time with an agency that you don't like. And most of us know that you don't find out what an agency is really like until you work the streets. Those going through the academy don't know squat about the behind the scenes stuff.

I realize that you're a recruiter and are simply trying to do your job, but your "math" forgets many other factors beyond money.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Smurfette: You say "You'd then have to find another job and explain why you didn't want to stay with that agency. That would be tough for a LEO with little to no experience to overcome. Two years is a long time with an agency that you don't like. And most of us know that you don't find out what an agency is really like until you work the streets. Those going through the academy don't know squat about the behind the scenes stuff."

I'll re-check the BLET POI for the block of instruction for finding the perfect agency. Therefore you point is that upon BLET you will know all about the agency you are submitting an application. Then; further a lateral tranfer would be not an issue. Interesting point of view.

Comment

Not what I said. I said you wouldn't have to commit two years to an agency that you subsequently didn't like working for. Granted, either way you'd have to explain why you left, but IMHO it looks worse to leave the agency that put quite a bit of time and money into you. It's just my opinion, Recruiter, sorry that I apparently touched a nerve for you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FPDRecruiter View Post
                    Smurfette: Let me do the math. Go to BLET at a community college on your own. At the end you are certified and you owe nothing. Or go to an agency that has their own academy. Let's see my Department would pay you $16.25 a hour for a 40 hour work week, for 25 weeks. In the end you would be certified and have received $16,256, with a 2 year service obligation. If you leave before your 2 year obligation you would have contracted to pay back $3,000. Without counting the addtional 5% to 401K, 2 vacation, and 2 sick days the person would have earned are you sure going on your dime is the best option?
                    This is all good and well but I did not want to "owe" myself out to anyone ,just my choice. I chose to also pay my own way through BLET instead of signing a service obligation just so my options were open. Realistically if a PD will hire you to attend BLET then more than likely they will hire you upon graduating BLET. Why obligate yourself for 2 years to that PD and risk being VERY unhappy for 2 years when you can work during BLET and have the freedom of choice? Sure it's a nice package deal that's offered but I know many LEO's that have been bitten in the a88 by this type of deal. Besides it's like pulling teeth to get this type of sponsorship ,lots of red tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                      Not what I said. I said you wouldn't have to commit two years to an agency that you subsequently didn't like working for. Granted, either way you'd have to explain why you left, but IMHO it looks worse to leave the agency that put quite a bit of time and money into you. It's just my opinion, Recruiter, sorry that I apparently touched a nerve for you.
                      Exactly ,like they say word travels.

Comment

Here is what gets me about North Carolina BLET, the training is state mandated, why the hell does the STATE not pay for this when an agency hires a boot? Here in Indiana, if you're hired by a department, that department sends you to our police academy, however, it is paid for by the state (through state funding and some money from traffic fines and such).

A few agencies here have tried to make people sign contracts in the past requiring them to pay the cost of the academy and salary back if they leave within a set amount of time. This has been beaten in court here in Indiana because a department can't make you pay back what they didn't pay for, cost of the training, and they can't make you pay back a salary because you were providing a service to that municipality that employed you. Good stuff.

Now, with something Smurfette said. My personal opinion of a police officer jumping ship in this day and time....there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. Long gone are the days of guys/gals with 20, 25, 30 years at the same agency. I'll bet 90% of applicants most good departments get are from officers with at least one agency under their belt and it isn't looked at like it was say 10 years or so when I first started. Anyway, good stuff.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I've looked at the BLET option. I work odd hours, usually multiple jobs, and I just can't do that and go through the BLET program myself. I know it's all a personal choice, but I have no problem signing myself on to a department that is willing to give me a chance if it is only for a couple of years, give or take. I also like the fact that the two major departments also start you off at officer salary for the academy, which is nice. I, personally, would rather be paid for my training, have the free/city paid into medical coverage, and get in with a larger department (as the only departments in the area that have their own academies are larger anyway). Again, just my two cents .

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                            Here is what gets me about North Carolina BLET, the training is state mandated, why the hell does the STATE not pay for this when an agency hires a boot? Here in Indiana, if you're hired by a department, that department sends you to our police academy, however, it is paid for by the state (through state funding and some money from traffic fines and such).

A few agencies here have tried to make people sign contracts in the past requiring them to pay the cost of the academy and salary back if they leave within a set amount of time. This has been beaten in court here in Indiana because a department can't make you pay back what they didn't pay for, cost of the training, and they can't make you pay back a salary because you were providing a service to that municipality that employed you. Good stuff.

Now, with something Smurfette said. My personal opinion of a police officer jumping ship in this day and time....there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. Long gone are the days of guys/gals with 20, 25, 30 years at the same agency. I'll bet 90% of applicants most good departments get are from officers with at least one agency under their belt and it isn't looked at like it was say 10 years or so when I first started. Anyway, good stuff.

What get's me is people saying that you have to pay for BLET in NC ,no you don't. BLET is now considered a curriculum course in most NC Community Colleges therefore you can get a Grant etc to pay for the entire course and even cover some of your fuel cost.

Comment

Originally posted by BLETfun View Post
                              What get's me is people saying that you have to pay for BLET in NC ,no you don't. BLET is now considered a curriculum course in most NC Community Colleges therefore you can get a Grant etc to pay for the entire course and even cover some of your fuel cost.
                              +1 Woot, I did not know this! If I can't get in with the next Deputy academy, or Raleigh, I might try and work out a way to do the day classes while working nights at the Jails...man that would be tough.. *shudder*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3148 users online. 149 members and 2999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X