Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Vehicle Inspection

A bit of info about the situation.

A friend of mine moved down to North Carolina from New York a few months ago. He purchased a car here in NY and had it registered to his new address in North Carolina. He was given temporary plates at the NY dealership and told that the NC plates would arrive in the mail here in NY within a few days.
    Two days later he got the plates thru the dealership and was told he would be on his way.

Come to find out, the dealership here in NY made no mention of him needing a vehicle inspection and he his mistake was not looking into it himself.

Now he came back up to NY for the Labor Day weekend and ended up getting a ticket from the NYPD for "Uninspected Motor Vehicle", which he has to appear in person at traffic court.

My questions are:

1. Does the NYPD have the authority to cite an out of state driver with an out of state license/registration/plates etc for "uninspected motor vehicle"?

2. Being that he is an out of state driver how exactly does he handle the having to appear in person aspect of this summons. Obviously a trip fron NC to NY is going to be a royal PITA.

3. What exactly does my friend have to do to remedy his situation? Just take the car to the mechanic for a safety inspection? He lives in Stanly county if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the help

As far as the charging for an uninspected motor vehicle, I don't see how NY can charge for a NC Motor Vehicle Violation. There are many states that don't have an inspection law. However, if he hasd a NY temporary tag at the time of stop, or the equivalent of a NC 30 Day Temporary tag, he would be required to have a NY Inspection sticker I presume. That would be the case here. I guess he is going to have to appear in court, if the summons requires. Seems to me it would be a charge he could just pay. That's how it is here for inspection anyway. To get it inspected, just go to a local inspection station in the county the vehicle is registered in.

Comment

From what I understand NC does not enforce other states inspection laws therefore if he had his NC plates and registration NY should not be enforcing NC inspection laws. You stated he received his NC plates two days later , if he had NC plates on the vehicle at the time of the citation I would venture to say ,seeing as he was no longer under NY inspection law ,the citation would be unlawful. I would suggest seeking information from an attorney or call the DA in that jurisdiction.

Comment

I will give you my thoughts, but first I must say --This sounds like total B.S. or another one of those made up "my friend got a ticket" hypothetical questions.

If the guy was able to register his new vehicle to his NC address, then it seems to me that it should not be a difficult thing to get his car inspected. I find it hard to believe that the NCDMV had that kind of turn around that your friend got his plates 2 days after buying his car--unless the DMV now employs psychics and they knew the registration was coming.

In NC you have 10 days after registering your car to get it inspected.

After looking up NY motor vehicle code on their official website, it appears that the ticket your would have received would not have been a mandatory court appearance unless some other charge was also on the citation.

If the guy lives here in NC, why couldn't he just get his car inspected and send you, his friend in NY, a copy of the inspection sheet and have you present it to the court as proof that he remedied his situation?

Comment

Originally posted by BLETfun View Post
          From what I understand NC does not enforce other states inspection laws therefore if he had his NC plates and registration NY should not be enforcing NC inspection laws. You stated he received his NC plates two days later , if he had NC plates on the vehicle at the time of the citation I would venture to say ,seeing as he was no longer under NY inspection law ,the citation would be unlawful. I would suggest seeking information from an attorney or call the DA in that jurisdiction.
          The car has NC plates and registration since it was purchased last June [IIRC]. I hope the judge here in NY will agree on your points.

Originally posted by bandscar View Post
          I will give you my thoughts, but first I must say --This sounds like total B.S. or another one of those made up "my friend got a ticket" hypothetical questions.

If the guy was able to register his new vehicle to his NC address, then it seems to me that it should not be a difficult thing to get his car inspected. I find it hard to believe that the NCDMV had that kind of turn around that your friend got his plates 2 days after buying his car--unless the DMV now employs psychics and they knew the registration was coming.

After looking up NY motor vehicle code on their official website, it appears that the ticket your would have received would not have been a mandatory court appearance unless some other charge was also on the citation.

If the guy lives here in NC, why couldn't he just get his car inspected and send you, his friend in NY, a copy of the inspection sheet and have you present it to the court as proof that he remedied his situation?
          WOW, talk about making ASSumptions . Im going to say this in advance, thanks for your attempt at helping but the sarcasm is not necessary. I have better things to do than to make up stories by saying "my friend". I live in New York and have a NYS driver license but thanks for assuming other wise.

Anyway, as I said the car was purchased here in NY and the NC plates for the vehicle were picked up at the used car dealership [here in NY] two days after purchase. They charged a fee to get it faster [per their words]. As I also said, he recently moved to NC for the VERY FIRST TIME and obviously had no idea the vehicle needed to be inspected because he was told thru word of mouth that it didnt. Im not saying he's innocent and I made that clear in my first post. He did not physically go to the NCDMV himself so thats where the discrepancy is. He paid the dealership to do it for him and they failed to inform him of the inspection.

The only charge on the ticket is "Uninspected Motor Vehicle" so no, he was not cited for anything else.

I can not appear in court on his behalf because the ticket is in his name and I am not an attorney so I can not represent him.
          Last edited by NextCapCop; 09-06-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bandscar View Post

I have to agree ,it took them 5 days to get my tag and registration for my car and I already live in NC.

Comment

Originally posted by NextCapCop View Post
              The car has NC plates and registration since it was purchased last June [IIRC]. I hope the judge here in NY will agree on your points.
              I am not sure what the laws state in NY but I would not enforce NY inspection laws ,I am certain by law I can't?

Comment

Answer me this..did he have a NC DL when he bought the vehicle? If not, did he have one when he got pulled over?
                Last edited by ofc129a; 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

According to the NYDMV at this site

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm

Your friend would have had a grace period and would not have received a ticket that would make his appearance mandatory.

Comment

Anybody else have a problem with State Inspectors using the inspection system to run up charges on unnecessary repairs? We get a lot of that here at the coast.
                    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

... .. ... .
                      Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

... ... ...
                        Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                          Anybody else have a problem with State Inspectors using the inspection system to run up charges on unnecessary repairs? We get a lot of that here at the coast.

Yes sir ,two months ago my mom took her car to a "inspector" and he told her that her o2 sensors ALL needed replaced. Well she wisely told him her son could do the work and she would bring it back. He tried to charge her 350$ to replace 2 o2 sensors (40 bucks a peice) and inspect her vehicle (30-35 bucks),needless to say he tried very hard to convince her to let him do it.

Her check engine light was'nt on and when I checked for any problems with the obd2 scanner no codes. I took her car back to his shop myself and he tried the same thing with me ,until he found out I am a very good mechanic myself and also am a Certified Police Officer.

Comment

i have never seen north carolina dmv work that quick that he had his plate from NC in NY in two days. hell it takes that long to send a simple letter that far. it took dmv 21 days to send me a tag for my new truck.

i am like bandscar, the story just dont sound right. i deal with cars everyday from all 50 states being i am stationed near a military base. i have no clue which states require an inspection and which ones dont. all i know is that NC does. for the NYPD cop to know that it is required here is a mystery to me. now, if the NY temp tag was still attached then i could see why.........

Comment

... ... ....
                              Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3608 users online. 145 members and 3463 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X