300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke University Police

Anyone know anything about the dept? I have read alot on there site. Busy Dept? know anything about hiring? Easy? Are they hiring alot of people? Process? I am currently completing all the paperwork. Any info would be great.

I don't have any first hand experience with Duke PD. However, some things to remember:

1) Duke is a private university, therefore its police department is covered by the NC Company Police Act. That means a number of things, but the major ones are a couple of more hoops to jump through during the hiring process and the lack of the state/local government retirement system. Duke has good benefits and its own pension plan, but the time there will not transfer a public agency if you go that route later. Retirement benefits may not be a big concern when you are looking for a PD job, but they become more important as you get older.

2) Its a campus PD. I have no first hand experience, but I have heard from others (including some of their officers) that they have a hands off policy when it comes to students. Durham is not exactly a nice town, so there are plenty of non-students to deal with, but it could be frustrating from time to time. When I worked in Durham County I saw Duke PD officers at the magistrate/jail with arrestees fairly often.

3) Being a major school, I would be willing to bet that they have plenty of overtime available working sporting events and the like. I've worked for a campus PD before (not Duke) and I'd also expect a lot of property crime reports; vehicle break ins, stolen laptops, etc. Duke also has a fair number of robberies on campus thanks to the wonderful City that is Durham.

I really don't know much more. If you are looking for a starting point Duke may well be a good place. It really depends on what kind of policing you are looking to do.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Just echoing Landric about Durham. The campus is surrounded by some seedy neighborhoods, and there are constantly reports of armed robberies and the like in and around campus.

Come to UNC and work for their DPS. They've got some squared away officers.

Comment

I work for a private university (not even close to the size of Duke) and I can tell you it can be frustrating. The hands off policies, the touchy feely, huggy kissy mentality of some of the powers that be can get old real fast. If you go to UNC school they get there arrest powers from a different GS and have real LE benefits (retirement, training)
        “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
        ― Henry Ford

Comment

my friend works for Duke and I went on a ride along for a few hours. not much happened but school was out for summer....there were some shootings and such around the campus though, but we couldn't respond. he claims that they have jurisdiction in durham though but im not totally sure. it's bigger than the air force base i work on but didn't seem to be a whole lot of action. they also have a hospital on campus that gets a lot of attention. oh yea and a dunkin donuts lol
          "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, which academy does DUPD use? Thought I read they went through Durham, but can't seem to find that now.

Comment

Originally posted by LochRaven View Post
              Just out of curiosity, which academy does DUPD use? Thought I read they went through Durham, but can't seem to find that now.
              Last edited by BTJ; 06-13-2009, 12:19 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

You may want to reconsider your interest in Duke University PD. I currently work for DUPD. The morale is very low and there are POs leaving on a monthly basis. The hands off policy is very annoying, and the students know POs can't do anything to them. Depending on what squad you are on you might not even be able to perform traffic stops, unless it is a MAJOR traffic infraction. We have no Chief and the department is run by a civilian, has no Police certification. I can tell you more, but I would be typing all night. If you want to PM me I will answer any questions you have. I will be submitting my application to NCSHP in November, I have got to leave.

Comment

my friend went through blet at wake tech and they took him.
                  "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

NCSHP hopeful and Fuzz PM Sent
                    Thanks!

Comment

How expensive is the Duke area? I have heard some of the same rumors about duke pd. A buddie of mine is currently going to duke and he said the police dept. was absolutly horriable. Students have no respect what so ever..

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3194910.shtml

This article will explain how most people view Duke's PD. I am not meaning to put down anyone associated with Duke pd or the dept itself. At one time I was looking apply at Duke.

Comment

Originally posted by smalltownpd View Post
                        How expensive is the Duke area? I have heard some of the same rumors about duke pd. A buddie of mine is currently going to duke and he said the police dept. was absolutly horriable. Students have no respect what so ever..

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-3194910.shtml

This article will explain how most people view Duke's PD. I am not meaning to put down anyone associated with Duke pd or the dept itself. At one time I was looking apply at Duke.
                        That is a general theme among college students nationwide. They think law enforcement represents an entity that is out to harass and take away rights. It is not unique to Duke. They complain about the mean police officers that have nothing better to do than enforce laws and violate rights.

Sit in on any one of my Sociology classes and listen to the views of about 90% of the class. It's frightening that these people have such a distrust of authority, but what can you do?

I'm ready to be away from many of these people.

Comment

Originally posted by futurencLEO View Post
                          That is a general theme among college students nationwide. They think law enforcement represents an entity that is out to harass and take away rights. It is not unique to Duke. They complain about the mean police officers that have nothing better to do than enforce laws and violate rights.

Sit in on any one of my Sociology classes and listen to the views of about 90% of the class. It's frightening that these people have such a distrust of authority, but what can you do?

I'm ready to be away from many of these people.
                          I don't understand what you are getting from this article. To me the article is pointing out obvious problems in the department. Most of the negative comments are from Officers that work there. That whole "call a supervisor before you arrest anyone" hits close to home for me.
                          “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
                          ― Henry Ford

Comment

I am glad my college is not nearly that bad. Granted we have the whole don't arrest students but we do have an on campus judicial system. But if a student does push us to a point he or she gets a nice pair of silver braclets and a ride to the holding center. And we also have the ability to make our own arrests and not have to call a supervisor and do the whole "mother may I?" routine
                            Alf

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz1028 View Post
                              I don't understand what you are getting from this article. To me the article is pointing out obvious problems in the department. Most of the negative comments are from Officers that work there. That whole "call a supervisor before you arrest anyone" hits close to home for me.
                              I'll be honest, I didn't even read the article.

I was just responding to the comment about his friend at Duke saying the PD was bad. After looking at it now, I do see there are some serious problems with how the department is run. It shouldn't be held against the patrol officers that are out there working hard, though. I'd hate to see what would happen if Duke didn't have a campus PD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5605 users online. 311 members and 5294 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X