300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMPD Academy

I am looking into try to join CMPD but want to know some information from you guys (oppinions). How is the academy for CMPD? What normally happens such as training and is there anything to look out for? I know pretty much nothing about it and just want to know what to expect. What days are you there, what are the hours, (I am guessing it is around 17 weeks long), how hard is it to pass (which I know this question all depends on what kind of person you are but I just mean this as far as is it one of those things where the way you wont pass is because people just drop out?).
    Any information on joining CMPD and what the expect is greatly appreciated. I have read their main webpage and the information on it and it seems like a long process. I plan to do a ride along again in a few weeks with my friend that works up there in Eastway.

Originally posted by Shawn F. View Post
    I am looking into try to join CMPD but want to know some information from you guys (oppinions). How is the academy for CMPD? What normally happens such as training and is there anything to look out for? I know pretty much nothing about it and just want to know what to expect. What days are you there, what are the hours, (I am guessing it is around 17 weeks long), how hard is it to pass (which I know this question all depends on what kind of person you are but I just mean this as far as is it one of those things where the way you wont pass is because people just drop out?).
    Any information on joining CMPD and what the expect is greatly appreciated. I have read their main webpage and the information on it and it seems like a long process. I plan to do a ride along again in a few weeks with my friend that works up there in Eastway.
    The academy is somewhere around 23-26 weeks. I believe they've slowly been cutting out portions to shorten it because those are things that are better taught to the officer during the PTO program.

On my last ride-along with CMPD, the officer was only about a year out from graduating, so I spoke with him about the stresses and difficulties of the academy. He said it is pretty physically demanding, but if you are in decent shape, you'll do fine. The academics are difficult, but if you study, again, you'll do fine.

He said the most difficult part was just constantly waiting and anticipating what all you have to do.

On a final note, you'll have plenty of fun in the Eastway division. I did my first ride-along there, and it was non-stop action. I had a blast.

Comment

The academy is fairly intense on pt, so start (or keep) running/working out. The academics are also fairly intense, but not to the point that you can't pass. It is not so much a paramilitary academy, though there are elements of that. Those that do not complete the academy seem to be weeded out by academics, pt, or the occasional character flaw that has resulted in behavior that is unacceptable for a police officer. By far academics and pt account for the most failures. If you put in the effort to be physically fit on day 1, then put in the effort to keep up with pt and the academics, you will do fine. My observation is that they do not try to "weed out" anybody, they just give plenty of opportunity to weed yourself out.

I have been with CMPD a long time and still like working here.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes I did a ride a long with my friend last year in Eastway division. Fun as hell I thought. I am going in two weeks again so we will see what happens. As for the PT stuff I think I can handle it. If I can pass Army PT's and such I should be able to handle CMPD. My friend said that it's simple and not even close to the Army so I should be fine. Sounds like basic as well where they try to help you pass, the only way to really fail is if you yourself drop out and quit. I'm not a quitter so that is ruled out. Only thing I can fail is a written test, I have bad luck with those.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5852 users online. 347 members and 5505 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X