300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Chase Question

While I was taking my children to school this morning I saw a few Pitt county deputies running behind a black male along side hwy 33. The suspect stayed about 20 steps in front of the deputies and would turn to look at them to see if they had stopped. When the deputies stopped the suspect would stop. I felt sorry for the deputies because these guys were not in good shape trying to catch the suspect running. The suspect kept them at just enough distance as to be playing a cat mouse game. This went back and forth until I lost sight of them. It was unfortunate that the deputies were out of shape and had to attempt to catch this guy in front of all the motorist that had stopped to watch. I watched one motorist jump out of his car and try to grab the suspect but was pushed down with ease. Is that ok for a citizen to just get involved? My other question to this is what if you as a police officer or trooper was to ride up on this chase would you just jump out and tackle the guy without knowing why? If you do and find out that the deputy that started the chase had no real reason to pursue this guy what then? If the suspect decides to file a complaint or gets an attorney for wrongfull arrest who suffers the consequence you or the deputy that started the chase?
    NCSHP
    APPLICATION SUBMITTED OCT 2007
    PHYSICAL AGILITY AND WRITTEN 156 T-SCORE
    POLYGRAPH PASSED
    BACKROUND COMPLETED
    REVIEW BOARD NO GO
    CONDITIONAL OFFER
    PHYSICAL
    PSYCHOLOGICAL
    ACCEPTANCE LETTER
    ACADEMY DATE NOV 12 2008

---------------------------------------------------
    SUCCESS IS EARNED NOT GIVEN
    sigpic

... .... ...
    Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

... .... . . .
      Last edited by rfburns; 08-29-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

They have these nifty little projectiles that fire from a unit the size of a Taser. It fires a small rope like projectile with two lead balls on each end and they rap around a suspects legs taking him down hopefully on his face. They are being deployed by military Special Forces and I have heard some SWAT teams out West use them. They are expensive at this time but I feel worth the price in Officer Safety. (ie chasing into unknown situations)

Comment

Originally posted by rfburns View Post
          Blech. I just answered the whole thing as if you had asked as an off-duty officer. For some reason, I had in my mind that you were already SHP. Only after clicking submit, did I realize you asked about a citizen getting involved...

So, to answer that part, I recommend not getting involved for simply running from the cops. If the bad guy is trying to hurt the cops, that's one thing (and I'm sure they would appreciate intervention from anyone), but if he's running away, there are too many unknowns for you, the citizen.

As I understand the law, however, if an officer ASKS you for help, then you pretty much ARE an officer temporarily (yes, I know, not really, but you would have some of the same protections and defenses as an officer, I believe).

But, if you do ignore that advice, and slam a bad guy to the ground, I don't think any officers will be too angry. I can't tell you how many times I wished a barbed wire fence would appear neck-high out of nowhere.

You are correct ,if I ask a citizen to help subdue or (whatever) a suspect then that citizen is "deputized" and shares some of the powers and "immunities" I do. Of course a sharp attorney will argue the hell out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by district6 View Post
            While I was taking my children to school this morning I saw a few Pitt county deputies running behind a black male along side hwy 33. The suspect stayed about 20 steps in front of the deputies and would turn to look at them to see if they had stopped. When the deputies stopped the suspect would stop. I felt sorry for the deputies because these guys were not in good shape trying to catch the suspect running. The suspect kept them at just enough distance as to be playing a cat mouse game. This went back and forth until I lost sight of them. It was unfortunate that the deputies were out of shape and had to attempt to catch this guy in front of all the motorist that had stopped to watch. I watched one motorist jump out of his car and try to grab the suspect but was pushed down with ease. Is that ok for a citizen to just get involved? My other question to this is what if you as a police officer or trooper was to ride up on this chase would you just jump out and tackle the guy without knowing why? If you do and find out that the deputy that started the chase had no real reason to pursue this guy what then? If the suspect decides to file a complaint or gets an attorney for wrongfull arrest who suffers the consequence you or the deputy that started the chase?
            Bulldog his a-- ,he can sue me all he wants it's his fault he ran it's my oath to stop him.

Comment

I have had two situations where I jumped out and assisted an Officer w/o knowing why the Officer was fighting with the subject, only to find out later the reason the Officer was fighting was a no-no. That is NOT the time to question it and I acted with good intention so I'm fine. Apparently the rookie Officer didn't know that a person does NOT have to stop and give you his name if you have no reason to be stopping him. The guy turns away, the Officer grabs his arm, the guy resists. Well, DUH! LOL
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                I have had two situations where I jumped out and assisted an Officer w/o knowing why the Officer was fighting with the subject, only to find out later the reason the Officer was fighting was a no-no. That is NOT the time to question it and I acted with good intention so I'm fine. Apparently the rookie Officer didn't know that a person does NOT have to stop and give you his name if you have no reason to be stopping him. The guy turns away, the Officer grabs his arm, the guy resists. Well, DUH! LOL
                So ,is the rookie still an officer?

Apparently somebody nodded off during BLET ,lol.

Comment

Unless a person legitimately believes he's in physical danger, he's not allowed to resist the stop, whether the officer is correct in performing it or not. His recourse is later, either in police adminstration or in the courts, or in both.

Regarding non-police assistance, I was not a sworn LEO at the time (I am now) when I once saw a guy running from the police, and was able to block him by pulling my car in front of him. It was right next to an alley that ran along the train tracks (for Chicagoans: it was on Hollywood, on the way to Lake Shore Drive, at the alley just East of the wall below the tracks, so that the guy had nowhere to run except maybe down the alley, which is walled off on the West side for the tracks, and gated off at the buildings on the East, and long enough in the North to South direction before the next street, Bryn Mawr, that the backup would likely have arrived from the South before he could get out of it). If he'd continued to run, I could have followed him down the alley in my car.

The look of astonishment on the guy's face was priceless. He stopped when my car got in the way, and the closest officer threw him over my hood and then took to him to the pavement. I and my passenger got out in case he needed assistance, just as his partner came running up. He didn't need assistance. The runner yelled "I'm running 'cause I got a warrant!" I said "well go in and settle up then". The guy looked dejected, and the officer finished rolling and cuffing him. I nodded at the officers, and I drove off with my passenger. He got a good laugh.

Civilians are allowed to come to the aid of a PO clearly in pursuit or in a tussle, but should stand down if the officer says to do so, and should beware of the possibility that the runner or struggler may be armed.

In general, everyone is allowed to enforce the law, but most of the time, it's best left to the professionals, and civilians should follow the police lead in trying to be of assistance.
                  Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-29-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                    Civilians are allowed to come to the aid of a PO clearly in pursuit or in a tussle, but should stand down if the officer says to do so, and should beware of the possibility that the runner or struggler may be armed.
                    If the suspect does shoot the unlucky citizen, be assured that the suspect will be catching some lead in his back.......
                    LASD
                    We do the best for less with less....

Comment

See below.
                      Last edited by Barbrady; 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: Because I said so.

Comment

Originally posted by BLETfun View Post
                        They have these nifty little projectiles that fire from a unit the size of a Taser. It fires a small rope like projectile with two lead balls on each end and they rap around a suspects legs taking him down hopefully on his face. They are being deployed by military Special Forces and I have heard some SWAT teams out West use them. They are expensive at this time but I feel worth the price in Officer Safety. (ie chasing into unknown situations)
                        I would rather use this beauty...though not as small as regular Taser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2EX07lQy8

Comment

Originally posted by Barbrady View Post
                          I would rather use this beauty...though not as small as regular Taser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2EX07lQy8
                          Yeah I seen that on Future Weapons ,very nice.

Comment

what i have found funny is that whether or not you have a taser, it works. i had a foot chase the other day and i do not have a taser. they guy didnt know that due to him running as soon as the car stopped. all i did was get a bout 10 ft. from him and i hollered "TASER TASER" and the scumbag hit the ground. apparently he had been hit about a month ago and his exact words to me were "that sob hurts".

Comment

Originally posted by suprtrpr View Post
                              what i have found funny is that whether or not you have a taser, it works. i had a foot chase the other day and i do not have a taser. they guy didnt know that due to him running as soon as the car stopped. all i did was get a bout 10 ft. from him and i hollered "TASER TASER" and the scumbag hit the ground. apparently he had been hit about a month ago and his exact words to me were "that sob hurts".
                              Bahhahaa!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6533 users online. 365 members and 6168 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X