300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official NC Forum Thread that is not about the SHP

I don't have anything at all against the Highway Patrol. However, I'm getting tired of clicking on the NC Forum day after day to only find the new thread posts to be about the Highway Patrol. I've never been a trooper and I'll never be a trooper.

So, for those of you like me, lets discuss anything that has to do with law enforcement in North Carolina: departments, laws, policy, procedure, anything except SHP.

I'll start:

What do we need to do about the Probation and Parole system?

Obviously the legislature is not heading in the direction of changing the system so that more criminals serve active time. As worthless as structured sentencing is, we seem to be stuck with it. So, how do we improve supervision of the multitudes of offenders that are not locked up?

My idea is this: We need to make P&P officers "real" LEOs. That means they have to go to BLET, they need to be allowed to exercise the authority granted by statute, they need to make their own new charges when appropriate, store their own evidence, and basically become a true rather than quasi law enforcement agency. In my opinion that means moving P&P out of DOC and into Crime Control and Public Safety, giving them State LEO retirement, and expecting the performance required by other State LEOs.

I worked for NC P&P for a while before I went back to policing full-time, so its an issue that I feel pretty strongly about. It could have been a great job, but the worthless policies and a lot of mediocre (or worse) employees made it more of a joke than anything else.

So, that is my start to the thread.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Sounds to me like you've got some whine going on. If you don't like the SHP threads, then don't read them. It's that simple. With this kind of an attitude, then it's best you're not part of SHP anyway. Just my thought.
    Last edited by jthorpe; 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jthorpe View Post
      Sounds to me like you've got some whine going on. If you don't like the SHP threads, then don't read them. It's that simple. With this kind of an attitude, then it's best you're not part of SHP anyway. Just my thought.
      Perhaps you should re-read my post. I don't have anything against SHP, they perform a necessary function and do it extremely well. My point was not that there is something wrong with SHP or being a trooper.

However, the majority LEOs in NC are not troopers and the majority of aspiring LEOs in NC will not end up working for SHP whether they are interested in doing so or not.

I was hoping that we could have a discussion about law enforcement in North Carolina that is not related to the Highway Patrol (since we have several threads going about SHP, discussing SHP here too is unnecessary).

Just like all LEOs, troopers do police work. That is what I am looking for a discussion about. If you don't want to participate, no one is forcing you, but I welcome your experience and constructive opinions, just like I welcome everyones'.
      -Landric

Comment

You are so tired of seeing NCSHP threads...you just started your own thread with SHP in the thread line....way to go genius!
        "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
          I strongly agree with you. if P&P had full arrest authority, able to put any charge on one of their subjects, went to BLET, and went on a a hiring spree, so that each P&P officer had a reasonable case load. this way they might actually be able to keep track of those assigned to them, and when they recognize a problem, they have the ability to do something about it.
          Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out why everyone on supervised probation is not entered into DCI as being so. We could partner a lot more with Probation and Parole and get a lot more accomplished using PPOs and offenders' search conditions and the like if we knew the folks we dealt with were on probation.

Originally posted by jb5722
          on another note, I dont think landric said anything bad about HP. HP is great, its just not the type of law enforcement some of us are interested in. he's just saying that he wanted to bring up a topic besides the hundreds of people on here asking questions about HP that they could get answered by asking a trooper or making a phone call. this doesn't need to turn into a giant ****ing match about who is better at what.
          Just so. I'll be the first to tell you that one can do some really excellent crime solving working traffic. I don't have anything against SHP or what they do. However, I suspect that most of the already working LEOs who read this section could care less when the next SHP basic school is or whether SHP allows ride-alongs because they have no plans to work for SHP. I just wanted to see a more diverse discussion.
          -Landric

Comment

Originally posted by Landric View Post
            I don't have anything at all against the Highway Patrol. However, I'm getting tired of clicking on the NC Forum day after day to only find the new thread posts to be about the Highway Patrol. I've never been a trooper and I'll never be a trooper.
            Maybe the moderators of this site would be open to making a NCSHP sub-forum listing under North Carolina. It's worth a try, I'm sure they will listen.

Comment

Why are you surprised?

We're the best traffic cops in the state.
              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Back to your p&p. i served a DVO on a guy last night and ended up picking him up on a DOC parole violation warrent. While i was filling out the arrest report at the jail, A parole officer came in and took it over and did all the paper work for me. Bahe they always done this? Ive never had them do it before and i just didnt know if it was part of the reform.

Comment

Originally posted by nctroop14 View Post
                  You are so tired of seeing NCSHP threads...you just started your own thread with SHP in the thread line....way to go genius!
                  Damn you guys are a touchy bunch!
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                    Why are you surprised?

We're the best traffic cops in the state.
                    Of course you are. That's what you're trained to be and excellent at it.

Some of us aren't into the Chapter 20 (and everything that comes with it) side of the house; we're into the rest of it. Nothing wrong with that. We all serve a function.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

To the OP:

The thing is, I don't know the inner working of P&P. I agree with a DCI response if someone is active, especially intensive...THAT would be great. I've gotten in the habit of having the DOC open on my MDT and checking when I come in contact with someone. It would be excellent to know right off the bat if someone is subject to warrantless searches and seizures w/o having to run all over the place.

Tell me something, what did you mean by: "they need to be allowed to exercise the authority granted by statute..." Give me an example because, like I said, my knowledge is limited.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I interviewed with P&P about a month ago. The interview was very enlightening. All officers (PO1) share a car. You are not allowed to leave the office at that level and they want you to stay in the office. One of the major questions was which way I saw P&P should be....law enforcement, or counseling. I told them I leaned more on the law enforcement side and thought counseling should be done by others. I don't have a problem with helping addicts get in programs, but P&P should be for protecting the public against criminals, not counseling. I guess that was the wrong answer. Not hired.

Comment

LOL

Question is: If they see the road of P&P as counseling, are P&P Officers trained to counsel?
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't think so. There is a training period I think. I didn't really get into it. Once they made clear what they considered the job of a PO....I moved on.

Comment

In support of Landric...

First off.. I am not a trooper, do not want to be a trooper, but I do have great respect for those who are and want to be. However, I totally agree with Landric's comments about the thread. It seems never ending and some of the same questions are asked over and over and over again. With that being said. I guess more of us need to start and make comments on other threads. As for P&P, I think their case loads should be lighter and they should be allowed to do their jobs. Our local P&P officers are actually being told not to revoke anyone for anything because the prisons are so full. Judges are extending probations regardless of the violations. Good officers are quitting or being "relocated." The entire justice system needs a major overhaul. Build more prisons. If my tax money is going to keep them (criminals) up, because if they worked, they wouldn't have the time/opportunity to commit crimes, at least in prison, I'll know where they are and what they are doing. Just my .02 worth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3053 users online. 185 members and 2868 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X