300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winston-Salem PD

I'm from out-of-state, and I'm looking at employment with Winston-Salem PD. Since I know nothing other then what the recruiter and the website say, I'm looking to my fellow brothers/sisters in blue for input. Good and bad of the department, and would you recommend it for a career....If not, what agency in the area would be a better choice?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Stay Safe !!!

The area has a very high violent crime rate. I think it was actually just ranked #1 in the state (but don't quote me on that). Winston-Salem has some pretty nice areas. Downtown is pretty fun, and Wake Forest University has ACC sporting events which are also fun.

I don't know anything about the department, though. Sorry.

I've heard excellent things about High Point Police Department which is relatively close.

Comment

I think it would be a great choice for the area. The officers speak highly of the department and with a very new chief they are convinced with him it will get even better. Highly supportive from what I understand.

Comment

I'm a 10 year resident of W-S and former WSPD officer. I seriously doubt the crime rate is more than Durham, a similar-sized city. As Barbrady said the city has a new chief (former chief of Cary PD). The officers I keep in touch with are indeed high on him and he seems to have raised the morale of the department in his short time there. The retirement program is excellent and is better than most state and federal agencies. I personally would recommend it, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan73 View Post
          I'm a 10 year resident of W-S and former WSPD officer. I seriously doubt the crime rate is more than Durham, a similar-sized city. As Barbrady said the city has a new chief (former chief of Cary PD). The officers I keep in touch with are indeed high on him and he seems to have raised the morale of the department in his short time there. The retirement program is excellent and is better than most state and federal agencies. I personally would recommend it, FWIW.
          ryan,

I am sure you know more about it this than I. The officers that I hear from are simply in passing. But, with the new Chief the two reoccuring topics I hear is that they are hoping to get back Tasers and end the no pursuit policy. ???

Comment

Originally posted by ryan73 View Post
            http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3179442/

Durham, N.C. — Durham ranks below six comparably sized cities, including Greensboro, in violent crime per 100,000 people, the Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau says in a new report.

The bureau used 2007 crime statistics to create the latest edition of its annual report, issued Wednesday.

When the city and county are taken together, the bureau said, the crime rate drops from 798 per 100,000 to 733, putting Winston-Salem higher.

The bureau said it developed the report with Durham police to provide civic, business and neighborhood leaders with annual information to put crime in perspective for visitors and newcomers.

The report covers 10 Southeastern cities and 29 nationally.

Raleigh is lowest in violent crime among the Southeastern communities.

Violent crime includes homicides, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

The list for 2007 crime is:

1. Chattanooga - 1,294
            2. Columbia, SC - 1,267
            3. Greensboro - 971
            4. Richmond - 958
            5. Norfolk, VA - 844
            6. Ft. Lauderdale - 810
            7. Durham (City Only) 798
            8. Winston-Salem - 772
            9. Durham (City and County) - 733
            10. Savannah (includes Chatham County) - 633
            11. Raleigh - 571

Sorry, Greensboro was the highest.

I can't believe it either. I've been through Durham plenty of times and it is much worse than anything I've seen in either W-S or Greensboro.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3262 users online. 164 members and 3098 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X