300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Help Nypd

Hey, I caught an assualt in the third degree charge against an ex-girlfriend of mine about four years ago. I pled guilty to a city violation and the case has been sealed ever since. I took the NYPD exam and passed and am currently placed on educational hold. My question is will this hold me back from entering the academy?

i pled guilty to it because i was taking to much time off of work i know what happen and god knows that i didnt tuch her.

can someone help ??

Comment

even though it is sealed, law enforcement still has access to it.
      they will see the original charge.
      sigpic

Comment

Out of our pay grade

On the face most of us here would say no....but....Lawyers get paid for giving you the type of advice you need in this matter.
        Depending on your level of "need" to join the NYPD you should consult (pay) with an Attorney that specializes in this area. (expungement of old errors in decision making, conduct, that come back to bite you in the *** years later.)

Story; One of my cousins was arrested/convicted many years ago with a gun/assault charge as a teen. He spend 6 months in county jail on work release. Went back to community college after jail, continued probation and graduated from college after 7 years of part time nights/summer. His Brother was an Attorney and they were able to get the arrest/conviction/jail time expunged.
        That expungement allowed him to apply for law school and he is now a practicing Attorney, Member of The Bar, and even teaches some courses at a local law school.

Comment

No expungement in New York.....but what was the actual disposition in your case? Criminal convictions are not sealed. Did you receive an ACD, then no conviction? Was it a a Youthful Offender adjudication? A reduction to a violation (non-criminal conviction)? What is a "city violation"?

Comment

I'm with Dinosaur32 on this one. Can't say unless you provide further detail.

Assault 3rd is an A Misdemeanor. It is not a felony, which most agencies would automatically DQ you for. Although, many agencies will auto DQ you for any assault charge. You say "ex" but what was your relationship with her at the time? Was it considered (in the eyes of the courts) a domestic violence situation? THAT would likely be an automatic DQ.

And as Dinosaur32 asked, what was the actual disposition? What did you actually plead guilty to?

It's not unheard of (at least around here) for someone to initially catch an assault 3 charge, and then plead guilty to DisCon or a local noise ordinance violation once the ADA finds out it's a "mutual combatant" type of situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
              No expungement in New York.....but what was the actual disposition in your case? Criminal convictions are not sealed. Did you receive an ACD, then no conviction? Was it a a Youthful Offender adjudication? A reduction to a violation (non-criminal conviction)? What is a "city violation"?
              Sounds like an ACD to me.
              NYPD
              Exam 5047- Passed
              Medical- Passed 8/27/08
              JST- Passed 9/8/08
              Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
              Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
              Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
              Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
              Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
              Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

Why were you placed on educational hold and did you tell your BI about this incident? From what i have read this is a auto dq

Comment

Maybe i am misunderstanding.... Did you meet with a BI yet or you dont have the credits so they wont even start processing till you do?

Comment

i dont have my credits and i didnt even sart my bi yet.i pled quilty to a "city violation" never went thur central booking i just got a "d.a.t" to appear in court and i pled quilty to violation i just had to pay a ticket and that was that. its been closed ever since. i think the violation was a harresment in the 2nd degree.

Comment

Harassment 2nd is, in fact, a violation. However, it's not a "city violation" but rather a violation according to NYS Penal Law. (NYS PL §240.26)

You might have a chance. I've heard of NYPD allowing worse to slide.

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
                        Harassment 2nd is, in fact, a violation. However, it's not a "city violation" but rather a violation according to NYS Penal Law. (NYS PL §240.26)

You might have a chance. I've heard of NYPD allowing worse to slide.
                        thank you this just pick me up was feeling down.lol 4real

Comment

Don't get your hopes up too high. You need to sit down and talk with a BI and see what they say. Everyone's circumstances are different. You need to have your evaluated by someone at NYPD. They very might well take one look at it and DQ you off the bat.

The only way to know for sure is to try.

Comment

Who told you "city violation"? Never heard of such a thing.

You plead to a PL violation. That's the gist of it. Sounds like you might of lucked out in this ordeal b/c if you got a DAT the Assault 3 charge probably wasn't put through as a domestic violence case. You would get beat up considerably explaining your way through that in the process. Was a temporary order of protection ever issued against you?

Either way I think you will be placed on hold and a decision made on a case by case basis as this sounds like a borderline domestic. In your favor is the fact that you weren't convicted of a PL misdemeanor DV offense. Had you been, that would be an automatic DQ. Domestics are a big deal on this job for obvious reasons.

Call Recruitment if you want a better/more accurate response. I work the streets so you're getting opinion here.

Comment

IMO, this just might hold you back...
                              "...There are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.
                              Then there are sheepdogs, and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."
                              LtCol. Dave Grossman (Ret. US Army Ranger)

----------------------------------------
                              RIP PO Brandon Rocke (NBBS/67 PCT/70 PCT) | EOT 04/04/2009
                              "...Till We Meet Again"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 341 members and 5088 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X