300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on the "New York City Department of Homeless Services Police"

Quite a few times I've seen those guys roll around in Manhattan. What do they do and how frequent do they accept filing for the job(assuming it's open competitive)? I would assume that they would do "quality of life" checks on the homeless around the city and offer them to be taken to shelters.

Originally posted by BigHouseStyles View Post
    Quite a few times I've seen those guys roll around in Manhattan. What do they do and how frequent do they accept filing for the job(assuming it's open competitive)? I would assume that they would do "quality of life" checks on the homeless around the city and offer them to be taken to shelters.
    http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dhs/downlo...bs/jvn1717.pdf

Thats a job vacancy notice for the position. It includes info on the job duties, salary, and the powers their officers have. The salary is horrible.

Does anyone know if these officers can carry a gun? If so, can they carry on their shield or do they need to get a permit?
    Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
    NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
    Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
    U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

Just checked in with a friend from MNTF, no guns for DHS Police.

Comment

How can anyone live in NYC on that pay??

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
          How can anyone live in NYC on that pay??
          OT. DHS officers are peace officers and like most of the other small city law enforcement units, OT is the factor for livability in nyc. they probobly clear close to if not more than 60 a year with it. (as long as they are proactive) i think the top pay on the posting link is a typo, their top pay is about 40 and advancement is pretty ok, lots of turnaround, lousy conditions in the shelters, not everyone is built for it.

there is a civil service exam for the position but they may hire without it between exams. the civil service exam for DHS and a few other agencies is Special Officer. no carry but i thought a few years ago there was a pilot program to carry on their shields.

no i don't work for them but a few of the guys from my department came from them.
          Last edited by PlainSilverTin; 08-06-2008, 05:16 AM.
          sigpic
          "From now on, all your opinions will be ignored!"

Comment

Just what i want to do,, work as a guard at a homeless shelter, breeding ground for TB, HIV, and tons of other communicable diseases.......no thanks

Comment

So they perform physical security. I thought since they roll around in Ford vans w/ lights and siren that they would check up on the homeless around the city. Thanks for the info.

Comment

they usually patrol the homeless shelters, and stuff like that.
                They have a task force which is like a quasi ESU type unit (however they are unarmed....so it seems kind of uselesss).
                sigpic

Comment

a good friend of mines sister does it and she absolutely loves it. She was about to actually quit the job but then she had a hook who got her transferred over there to keep her from quitting. She said it is the best decision she ever made. I can ask more specific questions if you want.
                  NYPD
                  Exam 5047- Passed
                  Medical- Passed 8/27/08
                  JST- Passed 9/8/08
                  Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
                  Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
                  Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
                  Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
                  Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
                  Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

When DHS had Camp LaGuardia in Orange County..That was a good post. tough job to land here in the suburbs
                    If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

Even 60g's a year doesn't seem like much for new york, but then again I've never lived there, I just know 60 in cali is streched thin. Anyone know of any agencies in NY that are out of state lateral friendly?

Comment

Not a bad gig to get your feet wet.

Comment

I know NYPD has a street team called HOU(Housing Outreach Unit) that do patrols in the street. No idea if dhs does this.

I see these guys every now and then at central bookings. Spoke to one not too long ago, he said he likes the job but whats out due to the working conditions and wrestling around with EDP homeless people.

Pay is about the same accross the board for most peace officers employed by NYC. 40k sound about right.

For those interested, these are the most popular peace officers..

Taxi and Limousine Commission Enforcement
                          Dept Homless Services Police
                          HHC Corp Hospital Police(NYC)

DCAS has peace officers employed as well and some carry firearms.

My personal choice would be Taxi and Limo Enforcement. They have a fabulous plain clothes team and rake in a ton of OT and go ALL around the city doing for-hire vehicle enforcement(summonses and arrests).
                          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                            I know NYPD has a street team called HOU(Housing Outreach Unit) that do patrols in the street. No idea if dhs does this.

I see these guys every now and then at central bookings. Spoke to one not too long ago, he said he likes the job but whats out due to the working conditions and wrestling around with EDP homeless people.

Pay is about the same accross the board for most peace officers employed by NYC. 40k sound about right.

For those interested, these are the most popular peace officers..

Taxi and Limousine Commission Enforcement
                            Dept Homless Services Police
                            HHC Corp Hospital Police(NYC)

DCAS has peace officers employed as well and some carry firearms.

My personal choice would be Taxi and Limo Enforcement. They have a fabulous plain clothes team and rake in a ton of OT and go ALL around the city doing for-hire vehicle enforcement(summonses and arrests).

How often to the TL&C hire and do they hire from outside or within? looks like a good bunch of guys.

Any info when the next time they will have a test and hire?

Comment

This is a photo of a Taxi and Limousine Commission Enforcement RMP:
                              http://members.fortunecity.com/nypol...nyctaxi101.jpg
                              Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
                              NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
                              Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
                              NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
                              NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
                              U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5249 users online. 266 members and 4983 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X