300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Firearms Qualifications

Hello. Can anyone give me a description of the firearms qualification course that NYPD recruits have to pass at the academy? Thanks.

All I can say is.. you shoot 50 rounds and each bullet that is hit within the shaded target area is worth 2 points. There is a score you must surpass to qualify.

The specifics may not be secret squirrel material, but its not for everyone to know how NYPD does their training on an open board.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Hello. Can anyone give me a description of the firearms qualification course that NYPD recruits have to pass at the academy? Thanks.
      In a word= BULLSHYTE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xjarhead View Post
        In a word= BULLSHYTE!!!
        LOL. 1month down, two more before I hit the range.
        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

ya, you just aim at the target and pull the trigger lol
          MTS, 013

Comment

I've been going to a range trying to keep my skills up. It has got to be interesting. I would imagine a lot of people have never picked up a pistol before entering the academy. That's got to be a pretty tough job for the firearms instructors.
            NYPD
            Exam 5047- Passed
            Medical- Passed 8/27/08
            JST- Passed 9/8/08
            Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
            Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
            Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
            Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
            Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
            Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

In actuality, it is probably easier for the range instructors to train Tommy or Sally, who have never handled a pistol, to meet NYPD standards than it is to break Mary or Joe's bad habits learned on their own.

Comment

Dino, I was just about to say that.

Its much easier to train someone who never fired a gun before, than it is to break bad habits from people who basically trained themselves.
                sigpic

Comment

Yea i guess that's a pretty good point. I dont know though i would think that having some familiarization would make the training a lot easier. In the military all the good ol' boys picked things up a lot quicker than the people from NYC (not counting those from crown heights ). Yea they had bad habits but it seemed that they were above the learning curve somewhat.
                  NYPD
                  Exam 5047- Passed
                  Medical- Passed 8/27/08
                  JST- Passed 9/8/08
                  Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
                  Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
                  Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
                  Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
                  Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
                  Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle G View Post
                    Yea i guess that's a pretty good point. I dont know though i would think that having some familiarization would make the training a lot easier. In the military all the good ol' boys picked things up a lot quicker than the people from NYC (not counting those from crown heights ). Yea they had bad habits but it seemed that they were above the learning curve somewhat.
                    Funny they told me the same thing during basic about it being hard to break shooters bad habits.. Im from nyc and I didnt have a problem learning but then again im from crown heights
                    The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Comment

someone correct me if I'm wrong but the reason why its easier to train new shooters is because with experienced shooters develop muscle memory, they can grab a gun and automatically go into their own taught stance, grip, and whatever else they tought themselves. It usually takes 2,000 shots using a new method to break those habits, and to make the new method muscle memory.
                      sigpic

Comment

does anyone mos recommend going to a shooting range before the academy for practice?
                        NYPD Exam 0312 List 4**

APD-5: Submitted 2/12
                        Medical: Passed 10/12
                        Written Psych: 10/12
                        Oral Psych: Passed 1/12
                        Residency Check: Done
                        JST: Passed 6/13
                        Mini Medical: Passed 6/13
                        BI: Met 10/12; In process

July 2013 ACADEMY!!

Comment

We got twice a yr... NJ

Comment

if you fail you suck

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle G View Post
                              I've been going to a range trying to keep my skills up. It has got to be interesting. I would imagine a lot of people have never picked up a pistol before entering the academy. That's got to be a pretty tough job for the firearms instructors.
                              Actually it is easier for the Instructors because they don't have BAD habits like people that shoot on a steady basis.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4703 users online. 227 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X