300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Id theft

anyone have a opinion on these supposed id theft protection companies ie likelock and such... they sound more like a scam then protection....

course if ya work for them 2 of these companies are on the fastest growing company's in America list ...

My take is, why pay someone else for a service you can provide yourself. I highly doubt any of those companies do anything for you that you can't do on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Honda View Post
      My take is, why pay someone else for a service you can provide yourself. I highly doubt any of those companies do anything for you that you can't do on your own.
      totally agree with you on that one...but really in this age of debit-visa cards and ez-pass, it is next to impossible to completely secure your identity.

in the last 2 months, ive seen news articles of how hackers stole atm card #'s as the customers were swiping their cards at the sweetbay (hannaford) supermarket near me. then one of the clerks at the blockbuster down the street apparently threw piles of paperwork containing sensitive information about memberships, to include names, dob, ssn and more...

i think the only way to really protect yourself nowadays is to hide out in a shack in the woods like ted kaczinski.

Comment

yea there was a case not to long ago where a hacker toke over a ATM machine at the bank itself and everyone who used the machine that day had there entire account info taken.. that was well over 2000 people. I have also read about store clerks selling credit card numbers online for cash.. ugggs it sucks that credit cards are not more secure but I was talking to the bank today and they said every time they advance security the criminals are coming up with new ways to breach it sometimes within hours. great society we live in lol

Comment

A little common sense for the most part will keep your identity safe. Like others have said, LifeLock just places a flag on your credit every three months. That way if someone tries to open a line of credit (and the company does a check with the three credit bureaus then you get a call. But if they don't check with the credit bureaus you don't get alerted. People will always find a way to get what it is they want. Banks claim their security measures are easily defeated, but it really is because they use outdated methods. I see it in IT Security all the time "oh our wireless is encrypted we're safe". Then you find out that they only are using WEP. Companies will find that it is time that they stop the illusion of security and actually start doing something. Multi factor authentication of you credit card could be very easy to do. Some like swipe the card, enter the pin, and answer a question. Or perhaps use a fingerprint instead of the question. Plus when shopping online some credit card companies offer a temp card number that links to your account. You tell them the amount (say your total is 50.51) and they generate a number with that amount on it. You pay and if someone steals it they get nothing! Or like someone said...move to the woods!

Comment

In my current line of work, wireless telecommunications industry, we run credit checks on all new customers. They are pretty much automated. Every now and then the credit decision does not come back or comes back with a rather large deposit due to lifelock. But you can have your account flagged yourself. Why give another company your information? Only a few cases identity theft was discovered; say it was discovered that a new customer has a new auto loan for a car he bought out in southern California when he was never out there. With access to so much personal information, our company is spending million in efforts to keep it all safe. A few examples include, credit information is no longer displayed at the point of sale, all documents with remotely sensitive info is criss-cross shredded and removed by a Shred -it company, and pass words are implemented to protect access to account.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5985 users online. 347 members and 5638 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X