300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychological and ADD

I have my MTA police psycholigical cmoing up. I have ADD i use to take med back in 8th grade 1997. And probably only took it for a year and haven't taken it since. I graduated high school and and graduated from a military college fine in tmie and fine with no problems. I did take an Anti Depressant also in 8th grade for 6 months due to family health reasons but you guys think I should run into any problems

what test are you being hired off?
    the test that they just gave this year or the test from 2003-2004?
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I myself have never taking a phych test but from what i here they will rip you apart on that and you might prove nothing is wrong with you and in the end they might still fail you just because they can. Sorry dont mean to discourage you go in and try your best and be prepared to answer questions about it, they take everything they can and turn it upside down Good luck

Comment

No need to bring that up

Comment

I dont know the insides and what not but I image just tell them as little as possible.

Comment

the 2003-2004. And it's documented in junior high school that i was on medication. So i have to tell them.

Comment

if anything is documented YOU HAVE to tell them. ADD is not a good thing for law enforcement. And usually you must see a shrink to be diagnosed.

They are going to ask "Have you taken any medication for psychological disorders" "is there any history of mental illness" "Have you ever seen a psychologist/psychiatrist"

Good luck and be prepared for bad news. But as long as there is no current problems and you do not need medication anymore you should be fine.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                if anything is documented YOU HAVE to tell them. ADD is not a good thing for law enforcement. And usually you must see a shrink to be diagnosed.

They are going to ask "Have you taken any medication for psychological disorders" "is there any history of mental illness" "Have you ever seen a psychologist/psychiatrist"

Good luck and be prepared for bad news. But as long as there is no current problems and you do not need medication anymore you should be fine.

yes there was documented that i did take medication and saw a pschologist...but that was back in 8th grade. Back in junior high school. Have not taken any medication or seen any treatment for any mental disorder since then. So basically since 1998

Comment

I think its 80/20
                  80% your ok
                  20% it could hurt you

Thats just my honest opinion. Good luck
                  sigpic

Comment

i would not bring it up. period.

it's not a mental disorder. it's an issue that you no longer have, correct? ADD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. disclose what you must and don't volunteer anything that you don't HAVE TO.

good luck.
                    bxhousing
                    Forum Member
                    Last edited by bxhousing; 05-08-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

you took a med for the ADD? what med? did it wire you up or mellow you out?

Comment

"it's not a mental disorder. it's an issue that you no longer have, correct? ADD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. disclose what you must and don't volunteer anything that you don't HAVE TO. "

Thats completely wrong. ADD is listed in the DSM-IV which is the mental disorder handbook used by psychologists. He even said he saw a shrink.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thats completely wrong. ADD is listed in the DSM-IV which is the mental disorder handbook used by psychologists. He even said he saw a shrink.
                          No, it was partly wrong.
                          It is a disorder, but it is also widely over-diagnosed and over-prescribed; if he hasn't needed medication for the last decade, he was probably one of those who've been treated like a pill depository by doctors too lazy to do anything else.
                          Also, seeing a shrink in junior high doesn't mean shart, at least, it shouldn't.
                          At that age, no one has control over weather they are subject to medical intervention of any kind, its their parents call and parents often listen to 'professionals' who don't know what the hell they're talking about.
                          sigpic
                          Don't make me gassy.
                          You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

No to high jack your thread but what about if you had OCD. Same perdicament cept I was med' in freshman/sophmore year. Kinda sounds appealing in a sense to the cop world, keeping everything in order and what not.

Comment

"it's not a mental disorder. it's an issue that you no longer have, correct? ADD is overdiagnosed and overmedicated. disclose what you must and don't volunteer anything that you don't HAVE TO. "

Seeing a shrink and being mentally unfit for police work are not neccesarily mutually exclusive.
                              It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3503 users online. 231 members and 3272 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X