Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYC: Special Officer vs Special Patrolman.. Whats the difference?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NYC: Special Officer vs Special Patrolman.. Whats the difference?

    I know Special Patrolman status gives Peace Officer status to certain people, such as NYPD School Safety Agents. I have never seen anyone with Special Officer status, and am not sure what it gives(Police officer status, Peace officer status, etc). What is the difference between the 2? And who uses Special Officer status?



    Exams Taken/Jobs Applied For
    NYPD-2010
    NYC DEP Police-2010
    NYC Special Officer-2010
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010
    Suffolk County Police-2011
    MTA Police-2013
    Port Authority Police-2013
    TBTA-2014
    Agencies Already Employed By
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010-2012
    Sea Gate Police-2012-2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police-2009-2014
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police-2012-Present

  • #2
    Originally posted by NYCAPO View Post
    I know Special Patrolman status gives Peace Officer status to certain people, such as NYPD School Safety Agents. I have never seen anyone with Special Officer status, and am not sure what it gives(Police officer status, Peace officer status, etc). What is the difference between the 2? And who uses Special Officer status?




    Special Officers are peace officers who perform security and law enforcement functions for various city agencies. The title itself is only a civil service title and is not used in reality. Those hired under the "Special Officer" exam are usually referred to as "police" of whatever agency it is that they work for (Hospital Police, DOH Police, DHS Police, HRA Police, etc...). Most carry only handcuffs and batons, but I believe that certain ones may be armed. For example, I have heard that Human Resources Adminisration Police carry, although I'm not 100% sure. Like most other peace officers, they have arrest powers and some issue VTL summonses as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Fuerza is correct again. Special Officer is a civil service title for city agencies, and special patrolmen are peace officers for agencies in NYC that either give their own exam or hire independant from DCAS. Usually a Special Officer position is processed by DCAS and an agency like CCPD may use their own people to process them. Thats why CCPD are special patrolmen and not special officers (however they are one in the same).
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        PARTIALLY CORRECT.

        SPECIAL OFFICER for the MOST part is a civil service exam type of status. ALTHOUGH some agencies hire w/o taking an exam, such as HHC.

        Some special officers are ARMED, such as DCAS.

        SPECIAL PATROLMEN can be used for SOME civil service titles.. such as TLC, SSA's. For the MOST PART, special patrolmen are used for private entities or quazi city/state type agencies... COOP CITY, SPRING CREEK, LEFRAK ...etc.

        Some special patrolmen are armed as well, such as COOP CITY, SPRING CREEK and LEFRAK.

        These agencies enlist in the special patrolmen program and work with NYPD licensing division to gain status to use peace officer status in NYC.

        I dont know how exactly special officers gain their status, if its automatic or not.. or if its with NYPD. So therefor I cannot comment on that.
        Last edited by NYCTNT; 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

        Comment


        • #5
          Special Officers gain their status from the NYS CPL 2.10.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            PARTIALLY CORRECT.

            SPECIAL OFFICER for the MOST part is a civil service exam type of status. ALTHOUGH some agencies hire w/o taking an exam, such as HHC.

            Some special officers are ARMED, such as DCAS.

            SPECIAL PATROLMEN can be used for SOME civil service titles.. such as TLC, SSA's. For the MOST PART, special patrolmen are used for private entities or quazi city/state type agencies... COOP CITY, SPRING CREEK, LEFRAK ...etc.

            Some special patrolmen are armed as well, such as COOP CITY, SPRING CREEK and LEFRAK.

            These agencies enlist in the special patrolmen program and work with NYPD licensing division to gain status to use peace officer status in NYC.

            I dont know how exactly special officers gain their status, if its automatic or not.. or if its with NYPD. So therefor I cannot comment on that.
            HHC does hire from a civil service exam, they just have a separate one from the rest of the agencies that hire Specials. For example, on the DCAS website you will often see two exams listed, "Special Officer" and "Special Officer (HHC)".

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the information everyone.
              Exams Taken/Jobs Applied For
              NYPD-2010
              NYC DEP Police-2010
              NYC Special Officer-2010
              NYRA Peace Officer-2010
              Suffolk County Police-2011
              MTA Police-2013
              Port Authority Police-2013
              TBTA-2014
              Agencies Already Employed By
              NYRA Peace Officer-2010-2012
              Sea Gate Police-2012-2013
              NYPD Auxiliary Police-2009-2014
              NYC Department of Homeless Services Police-2012-Present

              Comment


              • #8
                You can also apply per hospital via HHC website for Hospital Police openings.

                You are not protected under civil service and I believe the next time the exam comes around, you need to take it. They hire you as a provisional.

                The website is down now, but a buddy of mine applied for Lincoln Hospital and was hired as a provisional.

                Many other NYC agencies use to hire on a provisional basis.

                I should have clarified that on my first post.

                PAC, ALL peace officers gain their status from 2.10, I just dont know if its under special patrolman section in the CPL or if they have their own line in the CPL. Special Patrolmen dont gain their status per say from the NYPD, it ultimately comes from 2.10 but you have to be recognized by NYPD to go through 2.10. Its weird.
                Last edited by NYCTNT; 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know HHC has their own line in the CPL.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                    You can also apply per hospital via HHC website for Hospital Police openings.

                    You are not protected under civil service and I believe the next time the exam comes around, you need to take it. They hire you as a provisional.

                    The website is down now, but a buddy of mine applied for Lincoln Hospital and was hired as a provisional.

                    Many other NYC agencies use to hire on a provisional basis.

                    I should have clarified that on my first post.
                    Well that's interesting. Now that you mention it, I think that the NY Public Library does that also for Specials. I've seen postings for it on their website in the past that didn't mention being on a civil service list as a requirement, but just didn't think anything of it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      NYPD Special Partrolmen hired by civil service or provisional city agengies have 24/7 Peace Officer status(TLC,PARKS,DOT,). But private agenices that hire Officers or security guards with NYPD SP Status only have their P.O. status while on-duty(CCPD,spring creek,) NYPD SP status is for agencies that need their officers to have law enforcement powers but their title do not have its own line in the CPL so NYC and NYPD have enough juice that they can appoint their own Peace Officers for NYC.
                      Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 03-28-2008, 04:29 PM.
                      CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                      FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT


                      DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Macy's Security has Special Patrolmen, they actually used to bring their own arrests to MCB years ago. .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          special officer patch

                          The “special officer” patch was created in 1997 and used by the dept of homeless services. The administration of DHS at that time DID NOT want the word "POLICE" on the officers uniform, nor the badge. (I was one of the original Special officers hired in that program.)
                          The Special Patrolman patch is used for non city-agencies ex: Brooklyn library, coop city, Delano village, and lefrak city. Even though these agencies give a strong city government appearance, they are not. However, there status is issued by the NYPD.














                          Originally posted by NYCAPO View Post
                          I know Special Patrolman status gives Peace Officer status to certain people, such as NYPD School Safety Agents. I have never seen anyone with Special Officer status, and am not sure what it gives(Police officer status, Peace officer status, etc). What is the difference between the 2? And who uses Special Officer status?



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not sure about the other agencies you mention there, but the Co-Op City DPS has not worn the Special patch in probably 15 years. The word "police" is used on the patch and is used on other insignia worn by the agency as well as their vehicles.



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              With only 89 cops for the area, I would imagine that Co-Op City would be a VERY difficult organization to get into!!!
                              New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7838 users online. 288 members and 7550 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X