Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.Y.P.D background check question..

delete. no useful info.
    Last edited by dirtys0ap; 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM. Reason: delete.

NYPD backround

first off, stop using cop lingo, what does popped mean ???? Were you convicted ??????? You are precluded by federal law from owning, carrying, possessing, or transporting any type of firearm if you have been convicted of a FELONY in any state in the U.S., and in some cases in foreign countries where had the act been comitted in the US it would have risen to the level of a Felony. Look up 18 U.S.C. 922 and it spells out basically anything, where you were convicted, and the sentence COULD have been, (not was,) greater than 1 year. In MD they have what they call 3 year misdemeanors, get convicted of one and even though it is a misdemeanor, or even if you get probation, you are still DONE because you could have gotten more than a year under that law.

So, in short yes, if you have a felony conviction in any state, NYPD, or for that matter no police dept, or federal LE agency will not hire you, now, if it was plead down to a misdemeanor, or dismissed, or nolle Pros, and did not go on your record, then you MAY have a chance.

What was the state, what was the charge, and what were you convicted of ????
    Last edited by 2971511; 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

christ!

See folks,this is what you will work with in the new NYPD.
      retired cop

Comment

so only senior guys can know what they are talking about (who have been out of the hiring process for years) In your case you should take advice from all. At my job orientation they flat out said, anyone with a felony conviction WILL NOT BE HIRED.

You should have thought about your future before you got "popped".
        sigpic

Comment

A felony conviction is an automatic disqualifier for EVERY government job that I am aware of. You can't even be a postman or dog warden with one. Good luck with that. But, I arrested a NYPD guy who had a felony arrest for grand larceny which was reduced to a misdemeanor and they still hired him. My arrest finally got him fired....Yes, he was shoplifting again..

Comment

Originally posted by bklynbob View Post
            See folks,this is what you will work with in the new NYPD.
            tell me about it, when I was there for my medical there were guys bragging about their criminal records. and I'm like this is going to be my co-worker next thing you know my partner might try to rob me at gun point.
            "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
              tell me about it, when I was there for my medical there were guys bragging about their criminal records. and I'm like this is going to be my co-worker next thing you know my partner might try to rob me at gun point.
              Wow, I must have gotten lucky. Everyone at my medical seemed very squared away, all 7 of us!
              It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

This is exactly why i left , NYC ,,, miss the food, not the Dept. politics, B/S etc........

Comment

Ohh yeah and some of the people

Comment

I guess he didnt like my question huh ?

Comment

To 2971511, its not cop lingo you pestering slime ball, it was being exhausted at 3 30am in the morning. Second of all, I came unto this forum looking for professional advice and opinions from people who have experience in this matter. NOT from narrow minded individuals like you who think they know everything. You sound like you think your better than me. Its obvious that the statues and criteria of hiring are on every single web page. duh? Your lack of experience and attitude suggests to me that you've probably done more worse things in your life. You probably have no experience in LE either. Thus your existence on this forum is irrelevant you e-thug.
                      Third, I don't have to disclose any information about my past especially with amateurs like you on this board who are totally oblivious about realities pertaining to this and can be so conscending. It's quite disdaining how cynical everyone in this profession is towards each other.. This kind of egotistical behavior is something I dont need to be around. So while im soaking in the sun on my island someday on my company's expense account you can keep checking your petty posts on this forum and badger each other all you want. But I do want to say thank you to everyone else who was supportive on this matter. Stay safe and I wish the best of luck to you all. FYI there are jobs that review your criminal record on case by case basis as well as a felony. A foreign service officer at the DOS just to name one. Have a nice day =)
                      Last edited by dirtys0ap; 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Oh heck, I'll play nice and delete what I said here.
                        Last edited by krinkbusta; 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

backround question

Originally posted by dirtys0ap View Post
                          To 2971511, its not cop lingo you pestering slime ball, it was being exhausted at 3 30am in the morning. Second of all, I came unto this forum looking for professional advice and opinions from people who have experience in this matter. NOT from narrow minded individuals like you who think they know everything. You sound like you think your better than me. Its obvious that the statues and criteria of hiring are on every single web page. duh? Your lack of experience and attitude suggests to me that you've probably done more worse things in your life. You probably have no experience in LE either. Thus your existence on this forum is irrelevant you e-thug.
                          Third, I don't have to disclose any information about my past especially with amateurs like you on this board who are totally oblivious about realities pertaining to this and can be so conscending. It's quite disdaining how cynical everyone in this profession is towards each other.. This kind of egotistical behavior is something I dont need to be around. So while im soaking in the sun on my island someday on my company's expense account you can keep checking your petty posts on this forum and badger each other all you want. But I do want to say thank you to everyone else who was supportive on this matter. Stay safe and I wish the best of luck to you all. FYI there are jobs that review your criminal record on case by case basis as well as a felony. A foreign service officer at the DOS just to name one. Have a nice day =)
                          Heah dirtysOap, You came to us, we did not seek you out.!!!!!

I have been in Law Enforcement for over 25 years, and I was certainly not trying to "pester" you. I was merely trying to find out the true story. You'll find that most people who have been in LE for as long as I have do not beat around the bush. If you have been arrested for a felony, Say I was arrested for conspiracy to commit armed robbery, my friend did a robbery and then jumped into my car and i dodnt know he was going to do it. Or, if you were convicted of a felony say, I was convicted of Possession with the Intent to distribute CDS because a friend gave me a package and I didnt know what was in it.

Now to make myself VERY clear, I have worked in 2 city Police Dept.s and 1 federal agency, and as far as what I know, NO agency will hire you as a sworn Police Officer if you have a Felony Conviction. And as I have several former co-workers that work for DSS (Diplomatic Security Service) I am sure that they will not hire you or anyone for that matter if you have a FELONY conviction. DOS usually requires a T/S clearance and you can not get one with a felony on your sheet.

I am truly sorry you did not like my response and thought i was "pestering" you, but in a word DON'T kill the messenger.

Also if the answers to your questions were/are so obvious, WHY are you bothering us?.... You enjoy your beach have one on me.

Comment

Originally posted by krinkbusta View Post
                            Oh heck, I'll play nice and delete what I said here.
                            Having a felony conviction is an automatic disqualifier for ALL government jobs that I am aware of. Does anyone know of any ones that it isn't? You mention that there is a Foreign Service Officer job that may hire you, but it doesn't seem likely according to their web site.

7. Final Review Panel
                            Upon completion of the background investigation, a Final Review Panel will examine the candidate’s completed file (except medical records) to determine the candidate's suitability for employment with the Foreign Service.

The attainment of U.S. foreign policy objectives depends substantially on the confidence of the public (both American and foreign) in the individuals selected to serve in the Foreign Service. The Department of State, therefore, requires the highest standards of conduct by employees of the Foreign Service, including an especially high degree of integrity, reliability, and prudence. Given the representational nature of employment in the Service, employees must observe proper standards at all times. The purpose of the Final Review is to determine, from the candidate's total record, whether the candidate is indeed suitable to represent the United States. The Final Review Panel has the authority to terminate a candidacy.

In evaluating suitability, the Final Review Panel takes into consideration the following factors:

Misconduct in prior employment, including marginal performance or inability to interact effectively with others
                            Criminal, dishonest, or disgraceful conduct
                            Misrepresentation, including deception or fraud, in the application process
                            Repeated or habitual use to excess of intoxicating beverages affecting the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the employee's position
                            Trafficking in or abuse of narcotics or controlled substances
                            Reasonable doubt as to loyalty to the U.S. Government
                            Conduct which clearly shows poor judgment and or lack of discretion which may reasonably affect an individual or the agency's ability to carry out its responsibilities or mission
                            Financial irresponsibility, including a history of not meeting financial obligations or an inability to satisfy debts
                            The most common grounds for a finding of unsuitability are a recent history of drug or alcohol abuse and delinquency in repaying debt or other evidence of financial irresponsibility. Candidates whose file indicates such issues are unlikely to be found suitable for the Foreign Service. The Director of the Board of Examiners can reconvene a Suitability Panel should new information become available prior to hiring a candidate.

Comment

in regards to the background, if you have never done anything wrong , but you have a sibling or a family member who has done soemthing wrong, how much does that affect your chances of getting disqualified?

thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4760 users online. 286 members and 4474 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X