Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nypd Pay. Wow!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nypd Pay. Wow!!

    does anyone in the world know when the NYPD is going to raise there salary. I took there test and passed,now i am having second thoughts about joining due to the fact that i have a wife in school and three children that all are under 5. there is no way i would be able to support a family of 5 working for pennies. In one of the biggest city in our country NYPD should be ashamed at what they paid there officers. i have looked at other smaller city and they start out at or around $41,000 in the academy. Not to mention working for pennies just to live in a 2 bed room apartment.

    Does anyone have any insight on this. Is the NYPD EVER, EVER going to think about there officers out on the street working hard just to make it the next pay check.When is it going to be fix?

  • #2
    Originally posted by FutureRecruit2 View Post
    does anyone in the world know when the NYPD is going to raise there salary. I took there test and passed,now i am having second thoughts about joining due to the fact that i have a wife in school and three children that all are under 5. there is no way i would be able to support a family of 5 working for pennies. In one of the biggest city in our country NYPD should be ashamed at what they paid there officers. i have looked at other smaller city and they start out at or around $41,000 in the academy. Not to mention working for pennies just to live in a 2 bed room apartment.

    Does anyone have any insight on this. Is the NYPD EVER, EVER going to think about there officers out on the street working hard just to make it the next pay check.When is it going to be fix?
    Right now, they are in arbitration. Hopefully, the salary will increase VERY soon.
    Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
    NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
    Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
    U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

    Comment


    • #3
      we are in binding arbitration through PERB.
      once this contract is settled, we should be up to Mid 2006. we still have to settle a contract for mid 2006 - mid 2008. the city is always behind on Police Officer contracts.

      you will have a hard time on the starting salary. if you take this job, plan on moving the family into a shelter .... or moving in with family that live in NYC.

      the new recruits make less now than I made 15 years ago.

      good luck.
      ===============================
      Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
      Stuff happens.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by theole34 View Post
        the new recruits make less now than I made 15 years ago.
        Wow! This is just unimaginable. You guys deserve a good contract, and I hope you get it.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

        Comment


        • #5
          yes we deserve more but will we get it...who knows

          Comment


          • #6
            shoot I'm hoping the new contract is settle before the July academy.
            "Why you harassing me?"

            Comment


            • #7
              If anyone is thinking about moving to the NYC metro area from out of state to take this job, think twice. If you think you will maybe work here a few years to gain experience then move back home or wherever, it will only be that much more difficult then, especially if you have kids. NYC would have to give us 10% raises for 10 years in order to get us caught up to a fair market salary. In other words, it will never happen. The cost of living here is very high too. Even if it takes longer to get hired at another agancy, hold out, you are not missing much here; the alure of the big city will wear off very quickly once you realize you have absolutely no extra money to enjoy it, even after working overtime.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jt32485 View Post
                If anyone is thinking about moving to the NYC metro area from out of state to take this job, think twice. If you think you will maybe work here a few years to gain experience then move back home or wherever, it will only be that much more difficult then, especially if you have kids. NYC would have to give us 10% raises for 10 years in order to get us caught up to a fair market salary. In other words, it will never happen. The cost of living here is very high too. Even if it takes longer to get hired at another agancy, hold out, you are not missing much here; the alure of the big city will wear off very quickly once you realize you have absolutely no extra money to enjoy it, even after working overtime.
                10% raises each year for 10% years would put us WAY past any other agency. Now that's wishful thinking!

                Comment


                • #9
                  NYPD's payroll is over a billion dollars a month.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    low pay.

                    that is why i take them for every bit of overtime i can.
                    in 2 years i will retire and never look back.

                    that is why years and years of experience are walking out at 20 years. you used to have guys in the detective bureau, and some on patrol with 25+ years. guys that knew the job inside and out. experience is running out the door to other departments, and private sector.

                    20 and out!!!
                    that is the only way.

                    when you enter the academy.. look around you. if the mental and physical makeup of the masses is good for you.. then stay.. if not.. then RUN!! test elsewhere, because it's not getting any better.
                    ===============================
                    Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
                    Stuff happens.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      10% a year over 10 years would put top pay at like $130,000.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The pay will go up - it's only a matter of time. They're having trouble filling academy classes at $25,100/year. Guys with seniority are jumping ship to other PD's and even to the Sanitation Department.

                        On the up side, NYPD benefits are truly excellent.
                        They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by IAmJeff View Post
                          10% a year over 10 years would put top pay at like $130,000.
                          I heard rumors for the next contract of 10/10/10, but I doubt they'll get that type of of raise. My guess is more like 6/6/6, with a larger for starting salaries.
                          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            that's true, nypd does have pretty good benefits. paid medical during your career and also after retirement. and with the vsf and avg OT, your retirement salary is $50,000. not bad for a top salary of 60. and then once pay goes up, that will go up as well.

                            I remember reading on the nys court officer thread about a guy trying to decide between nypd and sanitation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I heard rumors for the next contract of 10/10/10, but I doubt they'll get that type of of raise. My guess is more like 6/6/6, with a larger for starting salaries.
                              kind of tough when PERB will only be a two year award.

                              we have not seen 6 since Koch. and he was willing to give more!



                              as long as i make it to Parole in 2010.
                              ===============================
                              Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
                              Stuff happens.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 10087 users online. 477 members and 9610 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X