Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Just to clarify: If you become a CO, you don't apply for a transfer to parole. As a CO (or any other eligible position that can transfer into a PO Trainee or PO position), you would take the "Promotion and Transfer" exam. There are 70.1 transfers for ORCs but I believe they have to have taken the PO exam and be reachable. As a CO, I took both the open-competitive and promotion/transfer. I was lucky enough to score well and was called off the promotion and transfer list first. My academy had 4 CO's hired off of that list (including me) and our class was 50 people total (which included a handful of ORC's who were reachable on the list and did the 70.1). I still had to complete the same background/physical/psych process in Albany as everyone else even though I was already a Department employee. While being a CO isn't the greatest and certainly not for everyone, it's a career in the retirement system (your seniority date counts if you go over to Parole), a great salary with awesome benefits and the 25 and out retirement is pretty sweet if you get in young. You will work with some of the best people you've ever met and it truly is a brotherhood/sisterhood. The other option is to take the ORC tests (I'm not sure when they will be offered). Still no developments on new recruit classes for Parole but the consensus seems to be that there won't be a class until next year."

Enzako1018, you said there may be a class next year for new recruits? What's the word on that?

Is it 1) "definitely no fall Parole class 2022, MAYBE but probably no Spring 2023 Parole class."

Or is it 2) "definitely no Fall 2022 Parole class, probably a Spring 2023 Parole class."

Or is it 3) "who the hell knows, administration will do a class when they need one, could be a class next year, or the list could expire with no more academies between then and now."

Comment

• enzako1018
      enzako1018 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn’t expect a class in 2022. That is as specific as we’ve heard from union reps, training instructors, and supervisors. No one can give anything beyond that because it is unknown. Things can change for sure, but, there’s still so many unknowns with the new law not being fully effective until the fall. I’ll let the group know if I hear anything new or different.

• enzako1018
      enzako1018 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I said I wouldn’t expect a class until next year because there were classes planned this year that did not run (allegedly due to the new law). Between retirements/promotions/etc., there will be a need for officers.

• Thank you so much for your information! We all really appreciate it!

Comment

• enzako1018
      enzako1018 commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely. I’ve been in your shoes and wanted this job badly. Took awhile. Easier said than done - but, be patient and hopefully the academy gets up and running soon! I’ll update if I hear anything.

• Yes , Thank You for all the information we are all patiently waiting to hear some good news with regards to an upcoming academy class.

Comment

• The information you provided was detailed and excellent. People who I have spoken to on LINKEDIN have said exactly the same. But this new act signed by the Governor, "less is more act" has people scratching their heads. I hear there is confusion and rumbling amongst the ranks and this is pushing people to want to jump ship and bail if or when they hit their pension time. Look, I'm taking the C.O. test, I'm on three separate Parole lists. Hopefully, I work at Corrections, Parole calls and I move on. Again, thank you for your information, it is very well needed.

Comment

• enzako1018
        enzako1018 commented
        Editing a comment
        Best of luck in whatever direction you go! Being a CO opened up the Parole door for me and you will never see camaraderie like the CO brother/sisterhood anywhere else!

• Good Afternoon everyone. I spoke to my investigator in regards to the parole academy. He said the list will not expire until everyone is called off the list no matter how long it takes. It’s a NYS civil service rule. When will we be called for the academy they do not know as of yet. But we will be called.

Comment

• HANNIBAL KING
        HANNIBAL KING commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for sharing, your information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Do NYS parole officers and NYS COs share the same academy?

Comment

• Browneyesdoe
        Browneyesdoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes same academy location.

• Hello everyone. Any news on a possible academy soon. I’m so ready to begin.

Comment

• Are you sure 9-12-22 or speculation? That is a Monday. The academy always begin on a Sunday. That will be 9-11-22.

Comment

• I know you report the day before the actual start date of the academy, you report on a Sunday and the academy starts on Monday. I also want to know how accurate this information is of a September academy?

Comment

• I got a email from the director of human resource for DOP stating

“The agency was provided your contact information as you are a candidate who has applied to take the upcoming Probation Officer Exam. You are being contacted as the agency will be commencing with a PO Academy class on 9/12/2022 and are looking to make a few PROVISIONAL appointments. If you are interested in being interviewed (interviews will be held virtually) for a possible 9/12/2022 start date please see info below and email me back your resume by July 18, 2022.”

Comment

• You stated Probation Officer. This thread is for PAROLE Officer for New York State not DOP.

Comment

• Right they’re two different agencies ; Probation is NYC and Parole is NYS. The Probation exam is given often and has a high turnover in hiring.

Comment

• If anyone has investigative experience DOCCS OSI appears to be on quite the hiring kick, in case parole doesn’t hire soon

Comment

• Has anyone heard anything lately?

Comment

• I haven’t heard anything , the last information posted was from a current Parole Officer stating not to expect an academy in the near future. I’m thinking hopefully early next year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2197 users online. 138 members and 2059 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X