300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HANNIBAL KING View Post
    "I'M SURE IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING..." driving over 2 1/2 hours, stuck in traffic, staying at cheap motels in Albany is an understatement. Beyond the time waiting, hoping to leave your job for a job that the good state of NY has basically deemed to be useless. It's nothing but a humiliating kick in the crotch. I'm just whistling zippity doh-dah outta my a%^hole!
    What else did he say in the post?

Comment

• He is a PO I saw one of his earlier posts , I think he got on in 2018. I find it interesting how he just unsubscribed and he isn’t taking any messages. No one is after him , we are all just waiting to hear information as to when the next academy will be.

Comment

• Has anyone tried contacting their Investigator? I should be one to talk. Just curious.

Comment

• Anyone hear anything?

Comment

• I haven’t heard anything with regards to a Parole Academy , I know there is a NYS DOCCS C.O. academy starting June 13 according to another forum group chat.

Comment

• JEROD2018
              JEROD2018 commented
              Editing a comment
              They goto the same academy. COs and POs attend NYS DOCCS academy together. Scissor kicks and modified jumping Jack's. Practice them. Military cadence. Practice your marching. Goodluck.

• I'm currently a PO and according to our rep, yes, there was a meeting last week between the union and the state. In a nutshell, there will not be any new recruit classes happening in the near future, and promotions or transfers may not happen until the Less is More law is sorted out and all the dust has settled. A part of this law is the earned time credit or "30 for 30" affording early discharge from parole, so caseloads are shrinking. My caseload is down 20+ since the law took effect. While we'd love to have some more Officers, I wouldn't expect a class for a bit... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! If I hear anything to the contrary or even plans for future classes, I'll post.
            Last edited by enzako1018; 05-28-2022, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info and yes keep us posted. I suspected the Less Is More Bill has created a hiring freeze for Parole.

Comment

• Originally posted by enzako1018 View Post
                I'm currently a PO and according to our rep, yes, there was a meeting last week between the union and the state. In a nutshell, there will not be any new recruit classes happening in the near future, and promotions or transfers may not happen until the Less is More law is sorted out and all the dust has settled. A part of this law is the earned time credit or "30 for 30" affording early discharge from parole, so caseloads are shrinking. My caseload is down 20+ since the law took effect. While we'd love to have some more Officers, I wouldn't expect a class for a bit... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! If I hear anything to the contrary or even plans for future classes, I'll post.
                Thank you very much for the information. That's horrible.

Comment

• I emailed my Investigator and was told that they were not aware of anything I had written regarding cancelled Parole classes in the near future. Then went on to say due to civil service rules how they cannot go into details of any upcoming information pertaining to classes in the present or near future. Nicely put in a way that we don't crumble like a cookie. I still applied for Corrections exam today, heads up folks, take Corrections and transfer over. At least that's what someone said when I contacted Albany and told them how I had completed the Parole investigation and how I am on their list waiting.

Comment

• Still no word on the next Parole Academy but the Corrections Academy is the alternative?

Comment

• Who do we contact if we want to be considered for the CO academy?

Comment

• Correction Officer Trainee » Department of Civil Service (ny.gov)

Comment

• The option of Corrections was never on the table. I personally made the move because I'm not going to wait around for someone to hire me. Corrections has transferred people wanting to go to Parole for some time, years. Look, I'll go there wait it out till Parole calls, your investigation is already done and I'm in a crappy job I just want to leave. So here is a viable option till Parole finally calls. Also, Parole will take Corrections transfers FIRST before they take people on the list. Guys, do not limit your options, do not sit around and wait and have your list expire. You honestly believe I really wish to go to Corrections?

Comment

• I hear what you’re saying that Corrections wasn’t an option for you. I was responding in regards to them not having any information on a Parole Academy but that the alternative would be to do Corrections instead, and then apply for a transfer to Parole. We all have to keep our options open since we don’t know if and when Parole will be hiring again.

Comment

• enzako1018
                              enzako1018 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Just to clarify: If you become a CO, you don't apply for a transfer to parole. As a CO (or any other eligible position that can transfer into a PO Trainee or PO position), you would take the "Promotion and Transfer" exam. There are 70.1 transfers for ORCs but I believe they have to have taken the PO exam and be reachable. As a CO, I took both the open-competitive and promotion/transfer. I was lucky enough to score well and was called off the promotion and transfer list first. My academy had 4 CO's hired off of that list (including me) and our class was 50 people total (which included a handful of ORC's who were reachable on the list and did the 70.1). I still had to complete the same background/physical/psych process in Albany as everyone else even though I was already a Department employee. While being a CO isn't the greatest and certainly not for everyone, it's a career in the retirement system (your seniority date counts if you go over to Parole), a great salary with awesome benefits and the 25 and out retirement is pretty sweet if you get in young. You will work with some of the best people you've ever met and it truly is a brotherhood/sisterhood. The other option is to take the ORC tests (I'm not sure when they will be offered). Still no developments on new recruit classes for Parole but the consensus seems to be that there won't be a class until next year.

• Sorry, NYS Corrections did not have any information, nor would they probably had offered it to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2846 users online. 181 members and 2665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X