300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Parole Officer positions

anyone here familiar with the openings for parole officers here in NYS?

From what I see you need to be 21, a NYS resident at time of appointment, and pass a pretty basic medical check, as well as a simple PT test (climbing, using ladder, reloading firearm, stair climb, etc).

Have more info on requirements or testing battery?

Length of time it takes to test from the date you take the written and finish the rest, then get trained?

Is it 8 weeks of training (from what I gathered) ?

thanks

Don't forget the undying desire to assist in the transition from perp in a box to perp on the street. Social Worker and Babysitter all rolled into one neat package.

Comment

bump...anyone? please

Comment

You need a 4 year degree. After you take the test and pass, you sit on the list until they start hiring. Then in order, from highest ranking to lowest, NYS calls you to schedule the medical, agility, drug screen, BI, psych. After that, you sit on a list and wait some more. The academy, as of now, is being held at zone 5 police academy in Schenectady NY. I have heard that it is indeed 8 weeks long.

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/ehs/agilit...escription.pdf

the link explains the agility portion.

I have no knowledge of how long it will take to the results back. From my experience, it takes about 3-4 months for results to mailed out. The original announcement for parole officer trainee says that you don't need to have your 4 year degree till August 2008 so I don't think they are going to be hiring very many people off this list any time soon. I know that they recently had a hiring spree so it looks like we missed it by almost a year... good luck with the test. Maybe I'll see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by ec2749 View Post
          You need a 4 year degree. After you take the test and pass, you sit on the list until they start hiring. Then in order, from highest ranking to lowest, NYS calls you to schedule the medical, agility, drug screen, BI, psych. After that, you sit on a list and wait some more. The academy, as of now, is being held at zone 5 police academy in Schenectady NY. I have heard that it is indeed 8 weeks long.

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/ehs/agilit...escription.pdf

the link explains the agility portion.

I have no knowledge of how long it will take to the results back. From my experience, it takes about 3-4 months for results to mailed out. The original announcement for parole officer trainee says that you don't need to have your 4 year degree till August 2008 so I don't think they are going to be hiring very many people off this list any time soon. I know that they recently had a hiring spree so it looks like we missed it by almost a year... good luck with the test. Maybe I'll see you there.

thnx for the info... the wait isnt a big deal to me...the background investigation isnt a issue, drug screen etc...been there and done that many many times. The agility test is VERY easy, I read up on it online (on the states website).

Got a job offer for fulltime working for TSA, just started, so at least ive got e fedgov position with a security clearance for the time being, might speed things up a bit and make things a bit easier?

I am not up on info regarding how the life of a parole officer is. Do they deploy you to where they NEED you in NYS or can you find a prison/work location near where your home is? I dont want to be sent out in the boondocks like the NYSP can be when you start.

Any work related info I should be made aware of that you can think of specifically? Any information is very much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Comment

A co-worker was processing for NYS Parole last summer. According to him, he was told that you can request to be assigned an office within a specific administrative region. However, it should be noted that some of the regions are QUITE large geographically.

Unfortunately, I have spoken with several people about work assignments for new parole officers, and have heard several different things.

Comment

Did you take both tests? Most of the action is downstate, but if you are interested in the facility parole, it is quicker to get placed in WNY. If you go to the GOT-IT section of the NYS Civil Service web page, you can look at a county by county break down of where all the PO's are... and any position in the state for that matter.

Comment

The process from being called from the list to being called for the medical, physical and psych is very quick. The Division is in dire need of PO's and is expediting the hiring process to fill spots of soon to be retired PO's and to accomodate the liberal parole board's propensity to release anyone and everyone including repeat VFO's. As for the snide "Babysitting" comment from the ignorant retired cop above, I'm sure you've spent most of your NYPD career in a donut shop and writing out jaywalking tickets to old ladies and cripples. FYI, PO's generally execute their own absconder warrants w/ little or no assistance from the local police department and are expected to prosecute their own cases during parole revocation hearings. So in addition to the "babysitting" duties you so condescendingly describe, you can add, Cop and Prosecutor to the list. Also, PO's have statewide jurisdiction and have the authority to make warrantless searches. I'm sure that Retired NYPD can attest to the fact that many NYPD detectives like to tag along w/ PO's for this perk so they don't have to wait for their brass to obtain a warrant on their own. Anyway, Dieter122, the toughest part of the academy, is having to live in Schenectady for 2 months (excluding weekends). The Division does take care of all lodging, food and travel expenses though. There are many openings in the NYC and Downstate Regions and if you live upstate, you made need to put in a few months down there before a transfer is available upstate. I understand though that nowadays, you may know where you're going at the beginning of training so you can prepare. Also, it helps to have 3 years of casework experience if you want to start at SG-21. Hope this helps.
                Last edited by azaccone; 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

Hey

Why is this thread so dead?

Comment

anybody know when the next test is?

Comment

Originally posted by options open View Post
                      anybody know when the next test is?
                      I am not sure when the next exam will be given. NYS Division of Parole did not hire anyone from their last exam on 3/25/08 because NY state imposed a hiring freeze on all state agencies.

I took the exam in 2006 and I did not get hired. I thought the exam's list was going to last for 4 years, but to my surprise they gave another exam on 3/25/08.

I was told by a Parole Officer from this forum to not hold my breath for this job because NY state's fiscal situation is in very bad shape.

Did you take the Parole Officer exam?

Comment

Originally posted by azaccone View Post
                        The process from being called from the list to being called for the medical, physical and psych is very quick. The Division is in dire need of PO's and is expediting the hiring process to fill spots of soon to be retired PO's and to accomodate the liberal parole board's propensity to release anyone and everyone including repeat VFO's. As for the snide "Babysitting" comment from the ignorant retired cop above, I'm sure you've spent most of your NYPD career in a donut shop and writing out jaywalking tickets to old ladies and cripples. FYI, PO's generally execute their own absconder warrants w/ little or no assistance from the local police department and are expected to prosecute their own cases during parole revocation hearings. So in addition to the "babysitting" duties you so condescendingly describe, you can add, Cop and Prosecutor to the list. Also, PO's have statewide jurisdiction and have the authority to make warrantless searches. I'm sure that Retired NYPD can attest to the fact that many NYPD detectives like to tag along w/ PO's for this perk so they don't have to wait for their brass to obtain a warrant on their own. Anyway, Dieter122, the toughest part of the academy, is having to live in Schenectady for 2 months (excluding weekends). The Division does take care of all lodging, food and travel expenses though. There are many openings in the NYC and Downstate Regions and if you live upstate, you made need to put in a few months down there before a transfer is available upstate. I understand though that nowadays, you may know where you're going at the beginning of training so you can prepare. Also, it helps to have 3 years of casework experience if you want to start at SG-21. Hope this helps.
                        I couldn't have put this any better. If anyone has any questions about Parole, you can always ask me.

Thanks

Comment

Is parole still hiring or are they not doing anything because of the gov's hiring freeze?

Comment

Originally posted by QNZSP View Post
                            Is parole still hiring or are they not doing anything because of the gov's hiring freeze?
                            Parole is still on a hiring freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by whammo View Post
                              I couldn't have put this any better. If anyone has any questions about Parole, you can always ask me.

Thanks
                              Are you a Parole Officer?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8109 users online. 399 members and 7710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X