300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYSP Aviation

Does anyone have any information regarding the NYSP Aviation unit? I am specifically interested in how they recruit their pilots. Do they only accept troopers with pilots licenses? Is it a separate hiring process?

Originally posted by mleggio View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding the NYSP Aviation unit? I am specifically interested in how they recruit their pilots. Do they only accept troopers with pilots licenses? Is it a separate hiring process?
    All specialized departments K9, Scuba, Aviation, MRT, etc. within the NYSP must become troopers first. It will be beneficial to you to have your flight training before you go in, which im sure you have, but you have to become a trooper before you can be a pilot.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mleggio View Post
      One of the Troops at my station just tried out for aviation. While he can fly as good as anyone (US Army helicopter pilot for many years) he wasn't wiling to move.

He told them that ahead of time, but they still wanted to see him "wiggle the stick." There are a lot of very experienced pilots out there now, so without thousands of hours, you probably don't stand a chance.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I knew you had to be a trooper. I just wasn't sure of the path. Thanks for the info.

Comment

The GI bill will help pay for flight school after completion of your private pilots licence, but that can cost $4-5K for fixed wing and 10+ for rotary. Does the NYSP have a problem with people getting sent to military training for very long periods of time? Thinking of applying to the NYANG as a pilot if I get hired as a trooper, and ANG pilot training is almost 2 years long.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6609 users online. 226 members and 6383 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X