Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best read I've had in a while for NYPD

https://nypost.com/2022/11/06/nypd-s...-its-officers/

Awful. I can't imagine what it's like to work under these conditions.

Comment

I like how they mentioned nepotism and an article just came out a few days ago that Shea's kid got promoted to D3 after just getting out of probation lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bidstar View Post
        I like how they mentioned nepotism and an article just came out a few days ago that Shea's kid got promoted to D3 after just getting out of probation lol.
        He didnt get promoted yet. He was transferred to the detective bureau. He will be a 3rd grade detective in 18 months. but yes it's still a BS move.

Comment

Anyone recently graduated the NYPD academy? I have some questions if you can PM me please and thanks in advance.

Comment

Worst police job. Please don’t take this test, we’ve been 6 years out of contract and get treated like ****

Comment

Just sad! One of the most elite agencies in law enforcement in the United States losing steam! The people of New York are in for hard times just like the 70's, 80's and 90's (during the crack wars). I was born and raised there, and I'm glad I got out when I did.

There's an age limit of 35yo to get on the NYPD (military can buy back up to 8 years). I hear from a friend they're trying to get the hiring age max pushed to 40yo. I bet in 5-10 years, they'll remove the age limit all together. You can't make this stuff up.
              Last edited by Bklyns_Finest; 12-10-2022, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I worked there for 25 years. It was never elite.
                Last edited by BNWS; 12-11-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Bklyns_Finest
                  Bklyns_Finest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BNWS, I won't say that's the first time I've also heard that. But in defense of cops that loved the job and gave it 110%, to give the people who were born, raised and living in the city a better place to live and work, as well as those moving into the city and visiting...to those cops that worked hard and viewed the NYPD as an elite agency, you have my respect and gratitude. To the cops who have been shot, shot at, killed, had a divorce because of their dedication to the job, the drinking problems that slowly took over their lives because of their dedication to the job, and all the other issues many hard working good cops suffered through...to those cops, I tip my hat and say that YOU are what makes your agency elite and we the people appreciate your service!

I remember when I was in the military doing this one specific training. The instructor said, this unit will not make you, you will make this unit. If thats your belief, that this unit makes you, then you may as well save yourself much suffering and leave now! I agree 110%. Some military units are always referred to as "elite." why is that? Because you can pass every single phase of training, and still fail. They know its the person that makes the unit and not the other way around, the members are hand picked. This is why I see the older NYPD as elite. Back in the days, the majority were Vietnam vets, and non vets that were in highly competent military units, before they joined. Yeah, of course some "regular' folks slipped in for a check, benefits and retirement, but I like to look at the cops that actually took the job for the right reasons. And no, the job was never perfect but I won't judge the good work of the many, on the lack of a few. Of course this is just my opinion and we know what they say about opinions right?

BNWS, enjoy your retirement as long as you can. I have a friend that says, "if you can live in retirement at least as long as you were on the job, then you' win." I agree 100%. Be safe brother!!!

There are plenty of great hard working cops in the NYPD. Plenty have had their lives cut short by injuries. In response to your post I went to a LOD website and counted how many NYPD cops died as a result of injuries while I was active . I included world trade center deaths that occured after I left because they suffered exposure while I was active. I came up with 285. Thats a lot in 25 years. I only disagree with calling the NYPD an elite agency because pretty much anyone can join and it does not do anything truly different than any other law enforcement agency.

What I do know is that I worked with 285 heroes, there were plenty more that came before and after me that served honorably and bravely. NYPD total lod deaths 1082. To me that means the NYPD gets better people than it deserves. My saying that the NYPD is not elite does not diminish the great work and sacrifice of those that worked there and continue to work there.

Be safe.

Comment

My apologies to Fitss09 for distracting from his original post. I usually stay away from posting on Officer.com and utilize the site strictly as a source of great information, for what many might see as obvious reasons. Thanks for sharing the article Fitss09, it was a good one! I'm going to sign off and let the discussion continue on more positive path. Be Safe guys.

Comment

• Fitss09
                    Fitss09 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All good. You're acknowledgement and admiration for good cops is perfectly fine and has a place for any conversation on this site. The post is about the department itself and not the good cops that we have/had in it. No amount of good cops can make up though for a department and city that hates them. And that's the overall point that I gauge from the article and this post

Well said brother!

Comment

Anyone recently graduat the NYPD academy? Please pm me, I have some questions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I just recently vested from the dept with 6 years of service. Best move i ever made. I still regularly speak with my buddies who are still there and they are miserable- has only gotten worse. The leadership is a joke. For anyone here looking to join the dept, please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. save yourself the aggravation. Better yet, pursue a valuable degree such as accounting , IT etc or get into a trade. You can't be in a uniform anywhere anymore.

Comment

If you replace "NYPD" with "CPD," and "New York" with "Chicago," you could copy and paste that article in the Chicago Tribune. On par for over 1000 retiring and leaving this year, and we are 1/3 the size of NYPD.
                        Oh, and btw, "diversity" not "quality" is king here, also.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4688 users online. 256 members and 4432 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X