300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabilities and the NYPD

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question, I am hearing impaired and want to take the test for the NYPD, I know obviously I can't work in some aspects of duty as I could danger other due to my lack of hearing. HOwever, my question is if I were to take the test, would I be able to work for the department (i.e. in the station) or will they not hire me? thanks in advance.

No they will not hire you. My friend couldnt hear the last highest pitch during the hearing test, and that disqualified him. He did however make it on the FDNY. ::shoulder shrug::
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
    - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

but if I was you I'd try getting on anyway, its worth a shot.
      "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
      - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by caroline816 View Post
        Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question, I am hearing impaired and want to take the test for the NYPD, I know obviously I can't work in some aspects of duty as I could danger other due to my lack of hearing. HOwever, my question is if I were to take the test, would I be able to work for the department (i.e. in the station) or will they not hire me? thanks in advance.

Do you have a hearing aide? take the test anyway you just me get on.

Comment

Well, I do wear a hearing aide. When I called the number the person I spoke to did not seem all that knowledgable on the subject. I was under the impression that not hiring somebody due to a disability was against the law. Now, I understand that there may be some facets of the job where I should not work, but to not hire me? Do you think I should call back... it really has always been my dream.

Comment

Public safety professions are exempt from the ADA. What reasonable accomodation could be made for you that would allow you to perform up to the full requirements of the job should you loose your hearing aid in the middle of a chase?

Comment

there are administrative jobs, are there not? There are other jobs in the NYPD that do not involve chasing? I would not want to be involved in that aspect, I would be a danger to other officers. What I'm saying is to not be hired in any capacity? I see plenty of officers in stations, administative, etc...

Comment

When you're a cop, you're a cop all the time. Not just when you're at your desk. So you need to be able to perform in any situation that might come up even off-duty.

Maybe someday they'll be able to fix ears the way they fix eyes now, and then you're in.

Comment

Thank you Kafziel, for being understanding. I lost my hearing at 16, its not nerve damage, all my life this has been my dream. I've just finished college, had 2 kids, and have just had a hard time coming to terms that this will not be my field. I don't let my hearing stand in my way with anything.

Comment

It is my understanding that different deartments have different requirements for hearing. I to am hearing impaired and will be recieving hearing aids soon. I wanted to be a federal criminal investigator but I dont think that will happen. However, I can become a police officer in several states and cities. I suggest you look for a department that has more favorable hearing standards for your situation. Have you considered NY state police, lots of room for advancement and great pay.

I to hope that someday hearing can be solved a whole lot better than hearing aids. However, all should be aware that the ADA and Rehabilitation Act of 1972 does cover law enforcement jobs as it is required for each person to be considered on a case by case basis. Just because a person has a hearing loss does not mean they are disqualified as they may handle their loss better than most. However, it is correct to state that in many law enforcement positions hearing is considered a business neccessity and therefore can not be refuted. Yet, there is a certain double standard when it comes to glassess and hearing aids. What should happen if someone's eye glassess fell off during a chase? They would be unable to see however if a hearing aid fell out, quite unlikely given their design, a person could still "chase" a suspect. Please note that hearing loss does not mean complete deafness as there are ranks of hearing loss. A person with moderate to severe hearing loss can still hear normal conversation and different frequencies albeit with some difficulty.

Comment

QUOTE]Have you considered NY state police, lots of room for advancement and great pay.[/QUOTE]

NYSP standards are 100x higher than NYPD.

Also, maybe you should check out the PAA's for NYPD they work in the station houses and do admin work.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you wear a hearing aid and can pass the hearing test with them you should be fine, I have a friend that works for MTAPD and he wears a hearing aid. I've seen NYPD officers wearing them too. Let me post the NYS MPCT guidelines regarding that.
                        http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/l.../mptc_regs.htm

Look at page 8, it tells you about the hearing standards that all PD in NYS must fallow when hiring someone. If you feel like you can pass the standards that are listed on there go ahead and apply.
                        Last edited by John2008; 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM.
                        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

In reference to the last post I checked that site. It is pretty interesting and I encourage anyone interested in NY police to check it out. After reading the standards it is my understanding that if a person wears a hearing aid they can qualify for police duties in New York. I believe it is correct to assume that NY has some of the highest requirements in regards to hearing. Does anyone know if hearing aids are allowed in other law enforcement agencies and functions.

Comment

The below link offers a more in depth analysis of how hearing loss impacts police performance. While it reflects standards for California, the impact on police work in general is fairly universal.

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Hearing.pdf
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What about Cochlear implants??...........I know a female who had the surgery and its like a miracle for her.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9703 users online. 443 members and 9260 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X