300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTA PD vs Nassau PD

Hey everybody, I’m looking for insight on Nassau PD vs MTA PD. I’m processing for both jobs just trying to figure out which is best as they do have a lot of similarities such as 12 hour tours.

Odds are low of actually being hired so GL
    Yonkers Police Exam
    Date: 3/26/2014
    Score: 90
    List: Zone 3
    Agility Test: 5/1/2016 - (Passed)

NYC DOC Exam 6315
    Date: 1/9/2016
    Score: 9X.X%
    List: 1XX
    Orientation: 6/24/16
    Medical:6/24/16
    Agility:7/9/16
    Written Psych:8/2/16
    Oral Psych:
    PE:

Environmental Police Officer Exam 6316
    Date: 6/8/16
    Score: 9X.X%

*US Army Veteran~2nd Cavalry Regiment*

Comment

• OFTR19
      OFTR19 commented
      Editing a comment
      I Wouldn’t have posted this if I wasn’t fully prepared to be hired by either and have to decide between the two. Thanks though!

• HighwayBob
      HighwayBob commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't have a decision to make until you get a conditional offer of employment from one or the other or both.

Originally posted by OFTR19 View Post
    Hey everybody, I’m looking for insight on Nassau PD vs MTA PD. I’m processing for both jobs just trying to figure out which is best as they do have a lot of similarities such as 12 hour tours.
    Both are great departments but understand what are their purpose and see what fit you. Make a pros and cons of each department. Money is important of course but what matter at the end is the quality of life in my opinion.

Comment

Nassau IMO. I was NYPD, in the Nassau academy now and have buddies that left the NYPD for MTA. Both are great jobs but both are very different. MTA is a lot of standing foot posts for 12 hours, Nassau youll actually be a patrol cop. Nassau is higher paid and in the process of getting a new contract to be equivalent with Suffolk. Nassau is also a bigger job so I would say theres more promotional opportunities, and specialized unit opportunities.

Comment

I would take MTAPD, but Nassau probably has more promotional opportunities and more units to get into than MTAPD. So it really depends what you enjoy or want out of your career.

Comment

I Like the MTA for the following. 100k base. and the ability to eventually move to long Island, upstate or even Connecticut. In this day and age answering radio calls for service would be very low on my list of things I'd want to do.

https://new.mta.info/careers/become-a-police-officer

Comment

Speaking of pay, what's Nassau County's overtime like? I know that MTA officers have made up to and over 200k when they worked overtime.

Comment

• TBL24
              TBL24 commented
              Editing a comment
              Depends on where you work. Look at seethroughny, there are Nassau cops making 300k. Both jobs youll get good OT opportunities.

Originally posted by TBL24 View Post
            Nassau IMO. I was NYPD, in the Nassau academy now and have buddies that left the NYPD for MTA. Both are great jobs but both are very different. MTA is a lot of standing foot posts for 12 hours, Nassau youll actually be a patrol cop. Nassau is higher paid and in the process of getting a new contract to be equivalent with Suffolk. Nassau is also a bigger job so I would say theres more promotional opportunities, and specialized unit opportunities.
            How’s the Nassau academy?

Comment

MTA is railroad commission correct?

Comment

• HighwayBob
                HighwayBob commented
                Editing a comment
                No, that's not correct.

MTA is the way to go in my opinion, yes it’s harder to get promoted but honestly, being a cop on that job isn’t a bad deal (unlike the NYPD). I know tons of MTA cops and they usually pull in $180,000 with OT, heck if you do get promoted I know sgts and Lts that bust their ***** and pull in over $300,000. And you get 4 days off a week which isn’t a bad deal either. Nassau is a good department to but I wouldn’t do patrol today. Stick to the trains

Comment

• LukeSW
                LukeSW commented
                Editing a comment
                "Nassau is a good department to but I wouldn’t do patrol today."

What makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious.

• HighwayBob
                HighwayBob commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't say it's harder to get promoted.

Meaning in today’s world with how the public views cops, specifically blue democrat states like NY, it isn’t worth enforcing laws now on the street. That’s why you’re better off doing the train BS and sticking it out

Comment

• LukeSW
                LukeSW commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, appreciate it.

I know someone who left MTAPD for NCPD and came back about a year later. He hated Nassau.

His main reasons were working alone and almost never seeing anyone. He said sometimes he'd see the cop in the adjoining sector but more often than not he wouldn't. He said he got tired of living out of his car. He had to call the precinct a couple of hours before his tour started to find out his post/sector and then respond to the booth at a specific location to meet the cop he was relieving. Only go into the station house once a month and that's basically the only time you see other cops.

This was a few years ago so I'm not sure if the above still applies, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for some people but he couldn't wait to come back.

Comment

• TBL24
                TBL24 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I can see not wanting to work alone. There are some doubled up cars but not many. Personal preference I suppose, I was going to take whichever job called me first and MTA never called.

MTA is the best police gig out there

Comment

• Bidstar
                Bidstar commented
                Editing a comment
                You right about that, along with PAPD. Those two are the best gigs to have right now.

Bidstar yeah def. but for QOL MTA is the way to go. PAPD is 5 on, forced OT. MTA is 3 on, optional OT

Comment

• Reigns167
                Reigns167 commented
                Editing a comment
                This isn’t true. Papd is 4 on 2 off , forcing doesn’t happen that often more then enough people eat it up when it’s around

Originally posted by FLM17 View Post
              Bidstar yeah def. but for QOL MTA is the way to go. PAPD is 5 on, forced OT. MTA is 3 on, optional OT
              I definitely agree with that MTAPD 3 on is hard to beat. But can’t go wrong with either gig.
              Last edited by Bidstar; 04-09-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2606 users online. 119 members and 2487 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X