300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Retirement Question

Anyone here know anything about the NYS Retirement System?

I keep hearing different things regarding this. I’m trying to figure out if going from the Police and Fire system to a sheriffs office system, if your time counts on the front end or back end?

I did the last 5 years, full time civil service, in Police and Fire for a city here in NY, and just transferred to a local sheriffs office. I’m currently Tier 6. Does my 5 years go on the front and I’m eligible after 15 years or do I have to complete 20 now and at 20 I’ll have 25 in?

Thanks I’m advance!

I believe your time counts on the front end as long as you were not in NYPD since It’s a different pension system. Anywhere else in NY it’ll count on the front end whether a police department or sheriffs department. Since it’s all the NYS police and fire pension. Best bet would be to call the pension office though. Stay safe
    Last edited by iabonir; 12-30-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Check to see if the sheriff office is PFRS and that your PFRS plan wasn't a special plan. Retirement online is a wonderful tool and you should really use it, may help get you the answer your looking for.

Comment

I would suggest calling them or utilizing retirement online. If you came Sheriff to Police it would all be "back end time," - but I've never heard of anyone going the other direction.

Comment

If he was in the P&F he was NOT NYPD. NYPD is not in the P&F.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I planned on calling the state with this question but covid made that difficult with getting in touch with anyone.

I was not NYPD. I was in PFRS, but upon going to the Sheriffs Office, they don’t use PFRS. I believe they are under a section of the general retirement system. If that helps.

Comment

• HighwayBob
              HighwayBob commented
              Editing a comment
              There's no one else on your job that followed the same path?

I would think that someone there at your new job should be able to answer that question. Do you know of any other departments that are under the "general retirement system"? I thought all NYS police agencies (with only a couple of exceptions) were in the PFRS.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6835 users online. 352 members and 6483 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X