Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Places to live for NYPD

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Places to live for NYPD

    Whats up everyone,
    This is my first time writing in this forum. I have been reading the posts and hopefully you guys can give me some good info. I already took my NYPD test and past it. When I come back to the states on my military leave I will end up taking my physical fitness tests and if everything goes right hopefully sometime next year I will be attending one of the police academies. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where a good place around the city where most PO live. I have a family and I want to buy a house in a nice safe area. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, out of curiosity how much is a decent house cost in the suburbs of NYC?

  • #2
    Depends on which borough you would like to live in. Manhanttan is really expensive with no private houses. Brooklyn and Queens would prob be your best bet, unless you would like to try Long Island but from what I hear they have a pretty high property tax. Personally I live in Brooklyn, Bensonhurst and its an alright, pretty safe clean area. Hopefully you have some money saved, the NYPD is getting such a low salary right now. Good luck on buying a house on that income.
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
    - A Cop's Maxim

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jdmscott8 View Post
      Whats up everyone,
      This is my first time writing in this forum. I have been reading the posts and hopefully you guys can give me some good info. I already took my NYPD test and past it. When I come back to the states on my military leave I will end up taking my physical fitness tests and if everything goes right hopefully sometime next year I will be attending one of the police academies. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where a good place around the city where most PO live. I have a family and I want to buy a house in a nice safe area. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, out of curiosity how much is a decent house cost in the suburbs of NYC?
      OK , Queens , Brookyln and Staten Island have some nice areas (Bronx too) but are not cheap. A decent house 1,800 - 2,200 ft. in a decent neighberhood is gonna cost you around $600,000 - $750,000 with property taxes around $3,000 a year.

      Nassau County your looking at $700,000 - $1 million with propert taxes of around $8,000-$10,000 a year.

      Suffolk (long drive) $400,000 - $600,00 with propert taxes of around $6,000-$8,000 a year

      Westchester $600,000 - $800,000 taxes $9,000-$11,000 a year

      Orange and other way upstate counties (very long drive) $400,000-$600,000 taxes $6,000-$8,000 a year

      Good luck

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ColtM4 View Post

        Orange and other way upstate counties (very long drive) $400,000-$600,000 taxes $6,000-$8,000 a year

        Good luck
        Rockland County is only about an hour drive, I wouldn't count that as "long", since a commute from queens to manhattan during rush hour can take up to an hour and a half.

        Orange is about 1.5 hr commute. Again, not THAT bad, and those prices are a bit inflated, you can get a decent starter home in Orange for around 300K, taxes differ greatly from town to town, mostly because of school districts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Jdmscott, I don't know anyone who has paid more than 225k for a 3-bedroom house in Orange County. And yes, it's a bit of a haul to the city (it's actually a stretch to consider it a "suburb" of NYC - most of Orange County is very rural and couldn't care less about the city) but half the kids I grew up with had parents who worked in the Bronx and Manhattan. So it's do-able if you have to. And all the NYPD cops I know live here. Housing prices are actually in a big slump everywhere right now, so don't believe everything people tell you about how expensive New York is.
          Last edited by Kafziel; 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            yea living in rockland is good if u travel on the off peak hours. You really dont want to be driving over the tappan zee during traffic ughhhh. id say live in upper westchester it is safe, less expensive then lower west. the schools are pretty good and you can take the train right down. So id say upper westchester or putnam counties are best for buying a house, but then again i hope you like rural areas, heavy traffic (since theres like 1 main road) and maybe 3 blocks of "downtown" areas lol

            Comment


            • #7
              how expensive is brooklyn heights? I never been there but sounds like a good place.

              also, off topic but I just saw on the nypd site that sgt's make about 100k per year(with OT and whatever else). so why are people bugging out about the low starting pay when you are possibly looking at 100k 6 years into it? not many jobs out there that can guarantee that kind of cash that soon.

              Comment


              • #8
                yea but who says you are guaranteed to make that position.. just because the odds are good (1 in 7) doesnt mean you will make that title.. you might go 10 years or more without seeing that.. and like some other posts with all the B.S. taxes and all you wont clear as much as you think.. if i remember right the NYPD takes cash out of you paycheck if you dont live in the city.. i forget how much but things like that will eat you check pretty fast..

                Comment


                • #9
                  also i think another thing that "bugs" people out is how much they are getting paid for the service they provide.. remember this isnt some quiet little community that has little to nothing happening.. from what i have been told with the NYPD you are always moving and everyone says that you will see things there that you probably wouldnt see anywhere else.. i have also heard the old "you will learn more in 1 year with the NYPD than 5 years in smaller department".. so yea topping out at 70k is not bad but there are guys around me (NJ) that clear 90k doing nothing but traffic stops.. given the risk factor is there no matter where you work but working in a city is alot worse then in a small town.. so to a starting salary of 30k to put your life on the line when you could make the same money doing other work where there is no risk makes people think they are underappreciated.. nevermind the fact that if something happens the city doesnt back you.. so you risk your life to help people and then when you do the right thing you get blamed for racism or whatever and then the city makes an example of you by throwing you in jail.. so there is alot more to it then just the pay..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JKOSU View Post
                    how expensive is brooklyn heights? I never been there but sounds like a good place.

                    also, off topic but I just saw on the nypd site that sgt's make about 100k per year(with OT and whatever else). so why are people bugging out about the low starting pay when you are possibly looking at 100k 6 years into it? not many jobs out there that can guarantee that kind of cash that soon.
                    Brooklyn Heights is major money.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      a rush hour drive from staten island to manhattan can be between 1.5-2hrs easy, but there are neighborhoods in staten island where you can buy a house for 400-500k but it won't be a very big piece of land. i personally like staten island since i was born and raised plus also there is the free staten island ferry into the city and its more quiet at times when you want it to be. brooklyn isn't bad either but its rough to find decent housing in brooklyn. Another option is queens but again hard to find a good neighborhood for commuting

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The rule is the further out you live, the cheaper it is. If you want to buy, I would check Orange County or Eastern Suffolk County.
                        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                          The rule is the further out you live, the cheaper it is. If you want to buy, I would check Orange County or Eastern Suffolk County.

                          My buddies live in Orange and they spend around $500 - $600 in gas a month just to commute !!!

                          Housing is cheaper but your gonna pay in gas and time

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ColtM4 View Post
                            My buddies live in Orange and they spend around $500 - $600 in gas a month just to commute !!!

                            Housing is cheaper but your gonna pay in gas and time
                            Very true. You have to strike a balance that you could live with. I live in Western Suffolk and my office is lower Manhattan. I hate the commute, but I love my life in suburbia.
                            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              how about just an apartment...to rough it for a while.

                              would probably need to room with some other people i'd meet through the academy. but i'll worry about that when the time comes.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4332 users online. 253 members and 4079 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X