300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring out of NYPD??

I heard that transferring out of NYPD is dam near impossible.. is this true?? I heard that a couple of reasons come into play.. first reason is that most departments in NY don't honor NYPD training certificate.. and the other reason is that NYPD makes it difficult for their employees to leave.. just wondering if there is any truth to all this or if its really a case by case scenario...

From what I know, the NYPD is struggling big time with regards to hiring new recruits, so I'd be willing to bet they aren't going to let the ones thay have run off so easily. Also, I know many departments in NYS with a surplus of applicants (such as Suffolk County), do NOT accept lateral transfers.

It would depend on the NYPD and what department you would like to go to, as well as if they are hiring laterals. But in the end I say, if you want to leave, leave. It is still a job.

Comment

NYPD has its own training curriculum approved by the State. It is not thae same as the State standards and is not accepted for laterals. Most large dfepartments with their own academies do not accept laterals from other departments. NYPD has blocked its members from going to the PAPD because PAPD insists on viewing the applicants personnel file and NYPD will not allow that. NCPD and SCPD do not ask for the same and many NYPD officers do get into their academies.

Comment

hah

Originally posted by JayMan2006 View Post
        I heard that transferring out of NYPD is dam near impossible.. is this true?? I heard that a couple of reasons come into play.. first reason is that most departments in NY don't honor NYPD training certificate.. and the other reason is that NYPD makes it difficult for their employees to leave.. just wondering if there is any truth to all this or if its really a case by case scenario...
        there is no "transferring"per se.you take an entrance exam and repeat the process all over again.if the new dept.wants your personnel file from nypd you are sol.
        retired cop

Comment

Shelter Island PD hired a kid from NYPD less than a yr ago, how did he get it if no one accepts NYPD certificate?
          DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

some of the smaller local town PDs in Nassau & Suffolk will do a lateral. Long Beach hired several city cops last summer and I dont think they went through the academy again, they did have to take a test though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5703 users online. 325 members and 5378 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X