300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is NYPD academy??

I don't mean to insult or anything like that but from the pictures of the graduates of the NYPD it seems like there are alot of guys that are not in the best of shape.. I know here in NJ the academy is very vigorous and have heard stories of guys having to drop out from all the running as they damaged muscles and/or bones in their legs.. but from what I have seen there are alot of guys graduating out of the NYPD academy that look to be pretty heavy.. again I know for many graduatiing is a big accomplishment but is it really that easy? Does the NYPD not push hard when it comes to physical training? Again I am not trying to insult anyone and am not saying that those who graduated did not earn it or anything but it just seems as though there is a lack of fitness when it comes to NYPD graduates.. I know there are alot of guys that are heavy but can keep up but wow some of these guys were pretty big.. Just curious for those guys who have gone through. I mean again I knw every state is different but here in NJ running is a big thing in the academy where some guys might run 5 -8 miles (from what im told) per day..

We graduate recruits with suspended licenses, past criminal records, psych history...for $25,100 a year we have to fill the ranks somehow, and if a fat slob can pass a few tests they will just "overlook" that he can't run. Oh yeah, theres a legal midget that just graduated too. Think of some of these people as your back up and now you know why NYPD might be a little bitter.
    To answer your question though, I didn't find the academy too hard a few years ago, and I am no marathon runner or champion athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by saxyjc View Post
      We graduate recruits with suspended licenses, past criminal records, psych history...for $25,100 a year we have to fill the ranks somehow, and if a fat slob can pass a few tests they will just "overlook" that he can't run. Oh yeah, theres a legal midget that just graduated too. Think of some of these people as your back up and now you know why NYPD might be a little bitter.
      To answer your question though, I didn't find the academy too hard a few years ago, and I am no marathon runner or champion athlete.
      If I were you I wouldn't make blanket statements like, remember these are still folk whom you have to work with. Blame APD lol

Anyway the simple answer is so long as you pass the exams in the academy with 70% or better you are a shoe in. Simple as that
      Last edited by Jayc6018; 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM. Reason: typo error

Comment

how fast do you guys have to run to pass? here in NJ i believe you have to be able to do 1.5 miles in like 12:58 or something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by saxyjc View Post
          What is the problem with letting in people who have had prior suspension of their license?
          "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
          - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

Jayc6018 you are absolutely correct, my apologies.
            johndoe61 if you remember last year there was an officer with multiple suspensions who drove drunk and killed her friend. I just meant it as something to think about, and their decision process and such. No personal attacks or anything. My partner had her license suspended once too, and shes not any worse off for it. Now she makes sure to pay her insurance every month. Jayman, the run time when they still had it was something like 14:30 for 1.5 miles, now they just have to do an obstacle course in a certain time, no run...well, theres like maybe 300 yrds of running in the course but thats it. And yes, APD has a quota just like we do, and I'm sure they have ways of meeting it...just like we do. Stay safe guys and see you at the WID parade

Comment

Originally posted by JayMan2006 View Post
              how fast do you guys have to run to pass? here in NJ i believe you have to be able to do 1.5 miles in like 12:58 or something like that...
              You keep saying "here in NJ"... where in NJ? Are you talking about the NJ State Police? Because the NY State Police has much higher standards than the NYPD.

Comment

nah.. every academy in NJ where regular towns send their recruits the running time if i remember correctly is like 12:58 or something close to that... i have been to like 2 of the academies before to pick up papers regarding testing and saw some of the classes going on and 98% of the guys looked to be in top shape.. i mean there were 1 or 2 guys that looked slightly out of shape but nothing as drastic as in some of the pictures I saw of the NYPD graduation.. i mean the you could see the guys were no where near in shape yet they graduated NYPD.. but if the above statement is true and there is no running requirment then i could see how some of these guys got through..

for those who have gone through the NYPD academy how much running would you say you guys did per day during PT?

Comment

so there is no longer a run of 1.5 miles? what a friggin joke...
                  "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
                  - A Cop's Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe61 View Post
                    so there is no longer a run of 1.5 miles? what a friggin joke...
                    Running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes is a joke, as far as I'm concerned. That's pretty much the standard, and you can almost walk that. I was much more out of breath after that obstacle course than I am after push ups/sit ups/1.5.

Comment

NYC has different standards than the rest of the state.

They should just break off and become their own state...
                      "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

From my friend who was in the academy last summer, they run anywhere from 1.5 miles to 5 miles a day, depending on the instructor. In order to graduate you have to do the JST in 3:28 or so (a minute less than it takes to get into the academy) and the 1.5 mile in about 14 1/2 minutes. It use to be less but they upped the time recently. There were rumors that they would do away with the run to graduate but it hasnt happened yet from what I have heard. Im a candidate for this July.

Unfortunately a lot of people do drop out of run during day PT, and they are given other stuff to do to make up for it, but the standards have changed in the NYPD over the last 10-20 yrs from what I have heard.

Comment

I"m postponing my July class to go in Jan of 08. I don't really feel like doing the New Years detail lol

All new recruits who graduate in december have to do the new years detail. Sorry but I'll pass

Comment

Originally posted by Jayc6018 View Post
                            I"m postponing my July class to go in Jan of 08. I don't really feel like doing the New Years detail lol

All new recruits who graduate in december have to do the new years detail. Sorry but I'll pass

That's the kind of stuff you're going to have to do, that's police work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayc6018 View Post

So you'll do it the following year!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2930 users online. 190 members and 2740 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X