300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some NYPD Questions

I'm from Jersey and I got some questions about the NYPD. How much OT can you really make your first year? Is it possible to make 40,000+ your first year? If your starting out living alone/single, how tough is it to make ends meet? Is the pay/contract being negioated yet?

I heard a lot of rookies go to Staten Island to live, is that a bad area? Also, I heard your stuck at a post for your first couple years. Is there a chance of being assigned to regular patrol or foot beat at the start? I heard that cops can use the public transportation for free, is there any truth to that?

Originally posted by DEPO View Post
    I'm from Jersey and I got some questions about the NYPD. How much OT can you really make your first year? Is it possible to make 40,000+ your first year? If your starting out living alone/single, how tough is it to make ends meet? Is the pay/contract being negioated yet?

I heard a lot of rookies go to Staten Island to live, is that a bad area? Also, I heard your stuck at a post for your first couple years. Is there a chance of being assigned to regular patrol or foot beat at the start? I heard that cops can use the public transportation for free, is there any truth to that?
    Im not NYPD but did alot of research on it in the past.. I have spoken with many NYPD officers and heard that there is plenty of OT.. I talked with one guy who was on his 3rd year and said he was pulling 70-75k with OT.. but remember he is working his ***** off so its not all fun.. also remember during your first 6 months you are in the academy so no chance of OT.. just base pay of 25k.. once out of the academy you start your probationary period so i dont think you will be assigned much OT right out of the academy.. but after your first year the OT is available for those who work for it... Staten Island is a nice place to live and many have told me that it is like a mini NJ... but of course every area has its good and bad parts.. my advice is to look up the realestate and research the area.. as far as the free use of public transportation, i have also heard many people talk of this and if you think of it it makes sense.. As far as making ends meet.. the only people that talk about guys on food stamps and all that are guys that are trying to raise a family of 5 on thier salary alone.. but if you think about it no matter where you live if you are trying ot raise a family of 5 on a salary of NYPD you are going to have a ruff time.. if you are living by yourself you will have no problems.. im not saying you will be able to live a life of luxury but you should be good.. when i was thinking of NYPD back a couple of months ago i already figured everything in and i had more than enough to make ends meet based on my calculations.. and if you have a gf or wife or roomate or whatever then you would be even better off.. I asked alot of guys with NYPD about the patrols and from what I have gathered it really depends on the area you are assigned.. some guys have steady foot patrols for 2 years while other get into a vehicle in 2 months.. it all depends.. as far as shifts, I talked with one LT who told me that most rookies take on the night shift from like 6pm -2am.. its 8 hour shifts.. hopefully some current NYPD guys can chime in and give up to date info.. most of what i got is from some current and past officers of NYPD and recruitors.. hope ti helps..

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post

You gonna make around 36K-40K your first full year. That is not alot of money for the NYC area. There was a report sometime last year that there were several rookies that needed food stamps in order to survive.

As far as foot patrol , you will be doing alot of that , details and some RMP patrol.Depends on where you are assigned.

As far as a new contract , who knows . Its been a while and both sides are fighting tooth and nail. When all is said and done top pay with prob go up to 65K then withinn 2-3 yrs up to 75K

The city does not treat its employees very well and the caliber of new officers
      has gone way down.

Comment

Originally posted by ColtM4 View Post
        You gonna make around 36K-40K your first full year. That is not alot of money for the NYC area. There was a report sometime last year that there were several rookies that needed food stamps in order to survive.

As far as foot patrol , you will be doing alot of that , details and some RMP patrol.Depends on where you are assigned.

As far as a new contract , who knows . Its been a while and both sides are fighting tooth and nail. When all is said and done top pay with prob go up to 65K then withinn 2-3 yrs up to 75K

The city does not treat its employees very well and the caliber of new officers
        has gone way down.
        I heard the contract was more concerned with the starting pay.. although the top pay will go up some many concerns with NYPD pay was the starting pay.. i heard that starting (acadmy) was supposed to go up to 30k - 32k.. or at least thats what they were shooting for.. then once out of academy it would go up to 36-38.. again this is not what it is going to be but rather what they were shooting to get..

and once again.. the whole foodstamp thing was for guys that were trying to support families of 5 on their NYPD salary alone.. if you are single or living with significant other you should be fine.. and if that significant other is working and helping with bills you should be fine.. depends on where you decide to live.

Comment

After being hired as a NYPD officer, could you move to another state? Ex-NJ

Comment

Its not gonna be easy, plus if you read a few of the job requirements for where ever you want to move to it should answer your question.
            NYPD Exam #5047
            Reopening my case this year. Will have 60 credits before years end.

Comment

Originally posted by POCHEDDAR
              Nope.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JayMan2006 View Post
                I heard the contract was more concerned with the starting pay.. although the top pay will go up some many concerns with NYPD pay was the starting pay.. i heard that starting (acadmy) was supposed to go up to 30k - 32k.. or at least thats what they were shooting for.. then once out of academy it would go up to 36-38.. again this is not what it is going to be but rather what they were shooting to get..

and once again.. the whole foodstamp thing was for guys that were trying to support families of 5 on their NYPD salary alone.. if you are single or living with significant other you should be fine.. and if that significant other is working and helping with bills you should be fine.. depends on where you decide to live.
                Yeah I figured it was for someone with alot of kids.

One thing to remember the ultimate goal is the TOP pay. Thats what really matters and either makes the job livable or not.

A top pay officer brings in around 75k-80K right now. That includes everything plus OT.

Hopefully a with a good raise it be bring it up around 90K-95K
                I think the new starting pay was being predicted to be 36K-38K

Comment

idk.. i talked with a guy that was on for 3 years and said with OT he was pulling 70-75k.. again he had to work his ***** off but still if he is pulling that in at 3 years where the NYPD website says he should only be doing like 40k so thats not bad.. he is pulling an extra 30k - 35k in OT so figure top pay for a patrolman is at 60k right now so if this guy does this kind of OT he can pull in like 90-95k a year once he reaches top pya.. again he must be doing massive OT but thats not bad.. then dont forget that alot of guys will get special units and/or promotions that will pay even more so...

Comment

Originally posted by JayMan2006 View Post
                    idk.. i talked with a guy that was on for 3 years and said with OT he was pulling 70-75k.. again he had to work his ***** off but still if he is pulling that in at 3 years where the NYPD website says he should only be doing like 40k so thats not bad.. he is pulling an extra 30k - 35k in OT so figure top pay for a patrolman is at 60k right now so if this guy does this kind of OT he can pull in like 90-95k a year once he reaches top pya.. again he must be doing massive OT but thats not bad.. then dont forget that alot of guys will get special units and/or promotions that will pay even more so...
                    Yeah 90-95K is alot for a top pay P.O. I made 85K my last yr and worked quite a bit of OT to get it. for 90K+ you have to be in some kind of unit with built in OT and bosses not monitoring it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4359 users online. 218 members and 4141 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X