Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chance of joining NYPD after being Arrested, but charges dropped.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance of joining NYPD after being Arrested, but charges dropped.

Good morning,

I was active duty military, and I legally purchased an assault rifle in the state in which I was stationed. I received an honorable discharge, and moved back home to Connecticut. I was arrested and charged with 5 felonies: Illegal possession of an assault rifle and having 4 high capacity magazines. The prosecutor and judge decided to drop the charges, because it was an honest mistake, and ignorance of gun laws, and it was not anything felonious or malicious. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me, my chances of being hired by NYPD or NYS Courts? And yes, I know that I was wrong for not knowing the gun laws, and take full responsibilities for my actions, no if's, and's or but's about it.

No one can predict with certainty, but I'd say your chances are good, especially with NYPD. Chances are just as good that you'll then be looking to leave about 6 months after you graduate the academy if not sooner, lol.

Comment

• Patriot91
      Patriot91 commented
      Editing a comment
      You hit the nail on the head! If i had the knowledge I had now joining the NYPD, I would have went to another state to process for PDs from square one. I cannot wait until I leave for another job. I wish others would understand how truly bad quality of life is in the NYPD.

Just curious how your arrest came about. Did you take the rifle to a public range?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post
      No one can predict with certainty, but I'd say your chances are good, especially with NYPD. Chances are just as good that you'll then be looking to leave about 6 months after you graduate the academy if not sooner, lol.
      It’s sad to say but I agree. A close family friend recently told me that her son started the NYPD academy. I watched this kid growing up so I’m genuinely happy for him but another half is like dang,not NYPD. And that is a shot at the NYPD. It’s a shot at NYC leaders and mayor and NYS legislators and governor. They’ve created such a toxic city and state and have made the job 100 times harder and dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperFarva View Post

It’s sad to say but I agree. A close family friend recently told me that her son started the NYPD academy. I watched this kid growing up so I’m genuinely happy for him but another half is like dang,not NYPD. And that is a shot at the NYPD. It’s a shot at NYC leaders and mayor and NYS legislators and governor. They’ve created such a toxic city and state and have made the job 100 times harder and dangerous
        What’s wrong with the NYPD compared to NYSP?

Comment

• Patriot91
          Patriot91 commented
          Editing a comment
          Horrible bosses, disciplinary system similar to a despost 3rd world military, constantly getting banged in on days off, inability to take off for family events (ex weddings), inability to use comp time that you worked for, insane work schedules (cops working 30+ hours in a row, cops working 16 hours coming into work 4 hours later for the next shift)

NYSP is a professional agency, with a quality work schedule.

Originally posted by HighwayBob View Post
        Just curious how your arrest came about. Did you take the rifle to a public range?
        Curious myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post

What’s wrong with the NYPD compared to NYSP?
          The difference is that NYPD is located in one of the most liberal cities in the country. A city cares more about the perps then it’s own officers. Even though this bail reform has cuffed police from doing the job across the state, De Blasio and the NYC council have done more to show their disdain for its officers. Exactly why the officers have literally turned their backs on De Blasio. This is just my opinion of course.

Comment

Deleted....
            Last edited by Tommy_V; 02-03-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_V View Post

Do Troopers in the city face the same problems?
              I have no idea. You’d have to ask a trooper. Although I doubt since they don’t answer to the mayor or the city council.

btw,I’m not a trooper. Don’t let the name fool you. It’s just the name of the greatest trooper ever.
              Last edited by TrooperFarva; 01-21-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I was arrested on accusations by my crazy ex. Everything was dropped(4 charged) NYPD still put me on background review. They got at me for my 1 disobey traffic device and 1 speeding ticket. I fought it and was still DQ

Comment

FYI for those on the job with NYPD and on probation, be careful what you say on public forums, especially if you are being critical of your employer.

That advice goes for everybody in general

Comment

• R0B0C0P
                    R0B0C0P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How could they track you down though? Unless you say your command and the time you work. IAB people would have to post regularly here. This ain’t like THEE RANT where it is a free for all.
                    Last edited by R0B0C0P; 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM.

• HighwayBob
                    HighwayBob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's very easy to track someone down based upon IP address.

• R0B0C0P
                    R0B0C0P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Highwaybob I see...but expose some disgruntled employee complaining about his bosses on the internet...seems highly unlikely...IAB wouldn’t waste their time on that...unless said cop was a perp...

So and so from Brooklyn north 4x12 said sergeant is very ugly...report him to IAB and get him fired...seems plausible...not...really
                    Last edited by R0B0C0P; 01-24-2020, 06:03 PM.

• BP3
                    BP3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @r0b0c0p

I promise you agencies as big as the NYPD have entire departments that track and investigate online presence of its officers. In fact, when you go through the NYPD process they have you log into all your social media and they browse what you post.

Just because IAB doesn’t post regularly doesn’t mean they aren’t actively searching these boards.

Given enough time on a Sunday afternoon, the average joe could find out who you are using basic search techniques.

And it may seem unlikely that IAB will investigate “disgruntled employees”, but it has been done before

An NYPD investigation will want to look into any arrest even if case is dropped. Their investigators will decide if you should proceed in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by BP3 View Post
                    FYI for those on the job with NYPD and on probation, be careful what you say on public forums, especially if you are being critical of your employer.

That advice goes for everybody in general
                    I agree. All depts now have social media policies. Few people at my job lost days and got suspended over the last couple years because of social media

Comment

You had the gun in your car during a domestic? To be honest, you will have a harder time explaining the traffic tickets rather than the guns you kept from the military.

Like many previously have said, the city sucks and everything Patriot91 said is true. Get in, and get out.

Comment

• jordanknight175
                        jordanknight175 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think you are getting me confused with the other guy. I didn't have any domestic violence incidents or traffic tickets ever in my life.

• TheGreatBambino
                        TheGreatBambino commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL I do. You should be fine then. Don't know why he chimed in.

• Bidstar
                        Bidstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        TheGreatBambino I’m going to be part of the nypd cadets it is bad that way too? To be honest just want to be in to have a job while in college to pay for my books and transportation

Deleted....
                      Last edited by Tommy_V; 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• R0B0C0P
                        R0B0C0P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Get em lmao lol rofl
                        Last edited by R0B0C0P; 01-24-2020, 06:04 PM.

• Fuerza
                        Fuerza commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My agency disciplines officers for anonymous and unsubstantiated complaints. I can only imagine what they'd do if one of us actually did something wrong.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8445 users online. 446 members and 7999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X