X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Park Police to merge with NYSP

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...outputType=amp
    RETIRED 9-16-10

I wonder how many hoops the current Park Police officers will have to jump through to be accepted into SP.

Comment

Not everyone would want to to do the run around to become a Trooper , whatever adjusted process and the adjusted academy. Especially someone with 15 years or more and set in their ways.

it still says one can still remain a Park Police Officer -
      “ Those who choose not to become troopers will remain as park police until “such time as alternative plans are developed or they leave Park Police service,”
      So I guess they will still be working if they choose not to follow SP route.

I wonder what are the opinions of current Park Police Officers on the matter

edit
      https://m.timesunion.com/news/articl...e-14879188.php

“roughly 270 Park Police officers to apply to become troopers if they meet certain fitness and training requirements, including a background investigation, medical exam, and psychological and drug testing.“

Wow
      Last edited by Theout; 12-05-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Anything on NYS University police following suit ?

Comment

• HighwayBob
          HighwayBob commented
          Editing a comment
          Never heard about that as a possibility. I can't see that happening.

So am I reading this right that they're waiving the age cap?

Comment

• HighwayBob
          HighwayBob commented
          Editing a comment
          That seemed pretty clear from the article.

• Segurosky3410
          Segurosky3410 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. If your park police.

So they hit the lottery

Comment

• Theout
          Theout commented
          Editing a comment
          How is this hitting a lottery ? Who ever wants to join troopers needs to pass the whole process all over again.

It’s a small agency with 250-270 Officers with a cool mission and their own turf. I am sure they wanted to get the similar salaries and better benefits similar to troopers. But I doubt each one wanted to become a trooper. It’s tougher to get in into NYS PP than into NYSP.
          Last edited by Theout; 12-15-2019, 01:52 PM.

Originally posted by Theout View Post
        Not everyone would want to to do the run around to become a Trooper , whatever adjusted process and the adjusted academy. Especially someone with 15 years or more and set in their ways.

it still says one can still remain a Park Police Officer -
        “ Those who choose not to become troopers will remain as park police until “such time as alternative plans are developed or they leave Park Police service,”
        So I guess they will still be working if they choose not to follow SP route.

I wonder what are the opinions of current Park Police Officers on the matter

edit
        https://m.timesunion.com/news/articl...e-14879188.php

“roughly 270 Park Police officers to apply to become troopers if they meet certain fitness and training requirements, including a background investigation, medical exam, and psychological and drug testing.“

Wow
        Sounds like the California State Police - California Highway Patrol merger 24 years ago. Lots of CHiPies ran around moaning, "If I wanted to be a real police officer I would have joined a real police department," while a lot of CSP guys moaned, "If I wanted to be a traffic cop I would have joined the CHP in the first place." Of course, none of the CSP folks complained about the 45% raise in pay and benefits they got the day the merger took place.

Promised were made (in writing) as to how the CSP people would be treated after the merger (duties, assignments, etc.). The problem was, no one passed those promised down the line in CHP command, they were quickly violated, and few CSP personnel were smart enough to keep copies. When copies of negotiated agreements were presented, demonstrating that former CSP personnel were being treated in violation of merger contracts, some CHP commanders stated they didn't care and would run their kingdoms as they saw fit.

All of this is moot now as its been 2 years since the CSP/CHP merger occurred and most of the CSP personnel affected are now retired. Nonetheless, I suspect the NY State parks Police and NYSP personnel are about to experience the same thing.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Theout
          Theout commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I wonder how this one will play out. I bet it will be similar situation. But i don’t see NYS PP receiving higher pay / benefits without processing into troopers.
          Lets see what will happen
          NYSP is top agency but making NYS PP Officers process again though the hiring - is a bit overboard.
          Additional training sure.
          Curious to see what will they iron out

• L-1
          L-1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless they are taken as equals, they will always be regarded as "second class" personnel and looked down upon. A deep schism will develop within the agency and there will be a serious morale problem.

• CCCSD
          CCCSD commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s NY, they are already screwed up...

L-1 is correct. Until they have gone through the right of passage (6 months of hell), they will not be accepted as equals. 2nd class citizens. I hope for their sake they force them through the whole academy - an abbreviated will have the same results.

Comment

• NYCopper
          NYCopper commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not about intensity. It's about them not being Troopers unless they go through the Trooper academy. Every other city / county cop that has become a trooper in the last 100 years has had to to through the basic school - even though they were already cops. It is what it is. (I dont know about the Capitol police / parkway police mergers though... )

• Theout
          Theout commented
          Editing a comment
          How are you comparing a merger of two agencies with individuals who are applying to become a troopers on their own. Obviously an individual has to go through an academy .
          The only things that NYS Park Police wanted were better retirement and better pay. I highly doubt PP Officers wanted to do an academy and a whole process all over again.

• NYCopper
          NYCopper commented
          Editing a comment
          If they want the bennies they will go through the academy.
          Last edited by NYCopper; 12-24-2019, 06:49 PM.

• Theout
          Theout commented
          Editing a comment
          It will be addon academy.
          Most PP Officers won’t do a full academy or want to . If they will require full academy then you will have most of PP staying as they are now . And I assume that means not getting the raise or benefits - making the merger useless ( for Park Police at least )
          Should be the same motto for the Troopers as well - want the new locations to patrol and look over new lands acquired - make them attend academy for the PP Police skills and trainings ( which PP Officers were trained in and most Troopers were not)

this will end up exactly like L-1 said since now they facing problems
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...ger-1.39501324

Comment

It's an issue of culture.

That's what was emphasized over and over to California State Police personnel before they merged with CHP and no one got it. Each was a proud agency with their own unique culture. Upon the merger, State Police staff needed to give up their culture and embrace that of CHP. Similarly, CHP personnel needed to accept the outsiders, with their own culture, as one of their own.

It's an easy thing to work out in your head, but when it comes to actually doing it in real life, well, stand by to stand by. To this day (24 years later, many former State Police personnel still refer to the merger as "The Surrender."
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by NYCopper View Post
            L-1 is correct. Until they have gone through the right of passage (6 months of hell), they will not be accepted as equals. 2nd class citizens. I hope for their sake they force them through the whole academy - an abbreviated will have the same results.
            For the record, any NYSPP session since 2000 have ALL gone through a 6 month residential academy... which is tougher than any Trooper academy, or any other Police academy in NYS for that matter. We have all already done our 6 months of hell. Lots of jobs want to say their academy is "tough", but when they tell their own academy recruits "you think you have it rough, you should see what the Park Police have to go through", then you know.
            Last edited by concordia; 01-18-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by concordia View Post

For the record, any NYSPP session since 2000 have ALL gone through a 6 month residential academy... which is tougher than any Trooper academy, or any other Police academy in NYS for that matter. We have all already done our 6 months of hell. Lots of jobs want to say their academy is "tough", but when they tell their own academy recruits "you think you have it rough, you should see what the Park Police have to go through", then you know.
              Sounds like you should stay a park cop then.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCopper View Post

Sounds like you should stay a park cop then.
                I like to make informed decisions and right now there is no information. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My explanation was such that there are many people in the law enforcement community that don't even know we've already been through a 6 month residential academy.

Comment

• NYCopper
                  NYCopper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not worth it.

• NYPDpoQNS
                  NYPDpoQNS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just watch their academy video , NYPP academy is no joke , encon and troopers have it tough too
                  Last edited by NYPDpoQNS; 01-26-2020, 07:14 AM.

Originally posted by concordia View Post

If park cops are so tough then maybe you should remain a park cop. The Troopers also won’t have to deal with your snowflake attitude. It’s a win-win on both sides.

Comment

• Theout
                  Theout commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attitude came from a pro Trooper if you read entire thread -
                  Pooping on NYSPP training and thinking Troopers are “holy “ and then being surprised Park Police Officer tells you off - since their training is similar and more specialized.
                  Read the entire thread.

Boy, talk about a battle of whose Stetson is bigger.....

Relax Fellers, plenty of tickets to go around

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6337 users online. 306 members and 6031 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X