300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 westchester County Corrections Exam # 60-967

Anyone on here signed up to take this test? Also please history if you already took this test previously and share any info you can on the topic. Thanks!

I’m gonna definitely take this exam. I’m hoping to get more information on the job and benefits tho

Comment

Top pay is 97700 and yes we have insurance. Once at top pay,with night dif you’ll be at 105,550. Throw in longevity after 5 years you’ll be at 108,xxx. That’s not including the holidays you will work,the forced overtime,etc. Make 110+ easy. Currently working without a contract. More then likely in about a 2 years we will get a new contract. Pay will go up.
      Last edited by TrooperFarva; 11-23-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Tye902
        Tye902 commented
        Editing a comment
        How long you been there? And did it take long to get hired

6 yrs. Once the hiring process started took about 6 months. But that was at a time when they were doing mass hiring because they literally had hundreds of officers that were able to retire or going to be eligible for retirement within the couple years. So they hired to get ahead of that.

Comment

I was previously on this job before becoming a PO. It's not a bad job but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Some of the positives: They have a good contract (benefits wise) and you can participate in post bidding after 4 years on the job. This is a huge deal as some other correction jobs do not post bid and you can still be working blocks after 20 years. I found them to be pretty accommodating with shift scheduling. You get a lot of paid time off and it's pretty easy to take a day. Most of my co-workers were good people and you don't have any of the horror stories of officers like you hear about over in NYCD. There's overtime and people rarely got ordered.

Some of the negatives: Officer safety is treated like a total joke. You'll have officers who will watch someone get their *** kicked and could get written up if they respond anyways. You have no protective/defensive equipment of any kind and rely on wall phones to call for assistance or a body alarm that will likely trigger the wrong location if activated. Working the linear (old) jail can be a pain but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets closed off eventually with the jail population being lower; when I started it went from the old jail being full to it being half closed. The inmate disciplinary system is also a joke but unfortunately this is more of a statewide thing, as even the criminal justice system as a whole with bail reform has become a joke. The inmates run around like they own the place and there is a lack of control like other facilities (like the state, for example.) Your supervisor also changes every day and unless you're bidded, where you're posted can and will be changed too; this makes it difficult to run a housing unit with consistency, especially when there's no consistency amongst supervision. All of the forms (reports, use of force) are done on paper.

I've been out for a couple of years so some of this may have changed. Feel free to message me with any questions.
        Last edited by Decided; 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM.
        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Yeah @ Decided. Since you left,it definitely has changed. Last year,you came to work knowing that you were gonna get forced. Midnight officers were getting forced EVERY SINGLE DAY. You work 5 days a week,you were getting forced 4 out of those 5 days. It has since slowed down but it went on like that for almost a year. People with more then 25 yrs on said it was the worst forcing in dept history.

Comment

Originally posted by TrooperFarva View Post
            Yeah @ Decided. Since you left,it definitely has changed. Last year,you came to work knowing that you were gonna get forced. Midnight officers were getting forced EVERY SINGLE DAY. You work 5 days a week,you were getting forced 4 out of those 5 days. It has since slowed down but it went on like that for almost a year. People with more then 25 yrs on said it was the worst forcing in dept history.
            Wow, that is surprising since when I worked there, I got ordered maybe 3 times on midnights (was on that shift for a year, spent my other year and a half between days/afternoon) and they were all due to bad weather events. I left at the end of 2016. I'm also surprised because the jail population was trending downward from when I started to when I left so you think they would need less officers.

Thanks for the update, stay safe.
            Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12295 users online. 442 members and 11853 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X